Review and comparison of DUNU DN-1000, DN-2000, & JVC HA-FX850
Aug 14, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #46 of 149
Hi Earfonia,
as per my topic already mentioned concerning the passion I have for the v-shaped sound (great bass & hights in evidence and mids more backward), would you suggest this model?
Or, would you suggest other brands? (a part of Altone 200, Dn-1000, Fidue A83 altrady discussed)
Thanks for your support.
Cheers

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #47 of 149
Hi Earfonia,
as per my topic already mentioned concerning the passion I have for the v-shaped sound (great bass & hights in evidence and mids more backward), would you suggest this model?

Sorry I don't get it, which IEM model?

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #48 of 149
A few days ago Stereo Singapore called me, to inform that new stocks of K3003 has arrived.
Last night I went there with some friends to try the AKG K3003.
We spent about an hour there, testing the K3003 with DN-1000 and DN-2000.  We tried the K3003i, the mic version.
Some gears we used: iBasso DX90 DAP, Fiio E12DIY with AD8599 Op-Amp, iPad, as well as iFi Nano - iCan.

AKG K3003 has 3 different sound filters:

We used the grey sound filter during the test, with the default white eartips. Didn't have enough time to tried the black and white sound filter, and other eartips. I tried the JVC eartips on K3003, but it doesn't do magic on K3003, like it does on DN-1000.

Before testing, my ears have been used to the DUNUs sound signature, especially DN-1000, that has been my most used IEM lately. So I could be a little biased, since I have used the DN-1000 for months.

My first impression was K3003 sounds brighter than DN-1000.  Maybe around 3-4 dB brighter, but in a nice way, more airy and transparent.

After a while, my ears and brain get used to K3003 tonality, and started to appreciate it's quality.

K3003 has truly impressive transparency and spaciousness. It has the widest imaging and spaciousness among the 3 (K3003, DN-1000, and DN-2000). Imaging is 3 dimensional, spacious and accurate. A class or two above the DUNUs in imaging and spaciousness.

Perceived detail retrieval also better than the DUNUs, maybe due to brighter treble.

Bass and midrange level balance roughly about the same level as the DN-1000. Treble, as mentioned, K3003 sounds brighter than both DN-1000 and DN-2000. Roughly around 3-4 dB brighter than DN-1000.

Overall, K3003 sounds more refined, smoother, and more transparent than the DUNUs.

But recordings are mixed differently, therefore there is no one gear suits all recordings.  In general, with the grey sound filter, even after some adjustment to it's tonality, I still do feel in general K3003 is a tad too bright for me. 2-3 dB less treble would be nicer, and makes it a better all-rounder.  For some classical recordings, and orchestral works from movie soundtracks, the treble level is actually very nice, gives more air and transparency, but for some vibrant pop recordings, the treble might sounds too sparkling. For example, for Stockfisch recordings, like David Roth and other guitar oriented recordings, the treble is too sparkling for my taste, a tad too dominant.  Similar case like HD800, the treble can be lovely for some recordings, and too bright for others.

For treble level, and tonal balance, I prefer the tonal balance of my DN-1000 with the JVC eartips.  DN-1000 treble level with the JVC eartips is just nice, and so far has been pretty good all-rounder for wide variety of recordings.  It is true for orchestral works, K3003 tonality and treble sounds better, but DN-1000 tonality with JVC tips could cover wider type of recordings.  I've used DN-1000 with JVC tips for hours daily, especially when working in office, and no ears fatigue so far.  I'm not sure if K3003 tonality would be as comfortable for long hours listening. To be tested.

As for vocal, K3003 sound transparent and natural on vocal, but for Stockfisch recordings I used last night, the vocal is actually sounds nicer on DN-2000. So depend on the type of vocal recording, and individual preferences.

K3003 bass is very nice, just the right level for me. Not too bassy, good level, and never lacking. K3003 bass is better than DN-2000.

I do like K3003. Like HD800, some people might like it a lot, some might dislike it, mainly due to a rather bright treble.
Nevertheless, K3003 is a fantastic sounding IEM, with impressive imaging, spaciousness and detail retrieval, a level higher than the DUNUs.

I have to try it with different sound filters and different eartips to get better understanding of the K3003 sound signature. Hopefully will get the chance to try K3003 more, in longer duration, in the future 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #50 of 149
Thanks Earfonia for your kind and deep reply/review.
Cheers

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #51 of 149
Also,
as I told you I really like the V-shaped sound, indeed I appreciated the performance of the new aluminum iem Fighter by Ubsound, an Italian brand (like my origins indeed).
Are you going to test them as well? You know, I'd like to understand if I like them just beacuse match with my V-passion so my ears and brain are in line with their sound, or if this could be a common though indeed.
Cheers

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #52 of 149
  After hearing the AKG3003, hopefully Dunu will produce a similar DN-3000.

Yes that would be awesome!
I hope with around 2-3 dB less brightness 
wink_face.gif

Thanks Earfonia for your kind and deep reply/review.
Cheers

You're most welcome!

Also,
as I told you I really like the V-shaped sound, indeed I appreciated the performance of the new aluminum iem Fighter by Ubsound, an Italian brand (like my origins indeed).
Are you going to test them as well? You know, I'd like to understand if I like them just beacuse match with my V-passion so my ears and brain are in line with their sound, or if this could be a common though indeed.
Cheers

I also prefer slightly V shape tonality, as I perceive it as being more lively sounding 
L3000.gif

This is the first time I heard Ubsound brand IEM. Looks pretty nice, sleek, and ergonomic. Would love to try it if I get the opportunity 
normal_smile .gif

But so far I never seen that brand in Singapore local shops.

Have you ever tried JVC HA-FXD80 ?  That's one V shape tonality IEM that has quite a lot of fans.  If you like them as well, so I guess it is quite common indeed :)

DN-1000 with the JVC tips for example, is quite flat compared to the HA-FXD80.

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #54 of 149
Yep...
Not identical but yes, similar... I mean, the aluminum cone is similar, although in the Trident the cone is clearly shorter and larger on the external side Vs the Fighter.
But as of today, most of iems are very similar I think.
The sound performance of this iem Ubsound Fighter is really good imho (V-shaped) but I never tried the Dunu Trident so far, therefore I can't compare the two iems...
Regarding Dunu, as of today, I just tested the dn-12, which is an entry level iem and, of course, also the sound performance is entry level.
Probably, the Dunu dn-1000 or 2000 are better.. but we should always think about price Vs quality, and i paid the Fighter only 67 euro, which means roughly 79 USD.
On this regard, also the xiaomi pistons 2 are a great iem thinking about the price.
Cheers

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #55 of 149
Yep...
Not identical but yes, similar... I mean, the aluminum cone is similar, although in the Trident the cone is clearly shorter and larger on the external side Vs the Fighter.
The sound performance of this iem Ubsound Fighter is really good imho (V-shaped) but I never tried the Dunu Trident so far, therefore I can't compare the two iems...
Regarding Dunu, as of today, I just tested the dn-12, which is an entry level iem and, of course, also the sound performance is entry level.
Probably, the Dunu dn-1000 or 2000 are better.. but we should always think about price Vs quality, and i paid the Fighter only 67 euro, which means roughly 79 USD.
On this regard, also the xiaomi pistons 2 are a great iem thinking about the price.
Cheers

:rolleyes: Dunu Trident / DN-12 are same....but yeah fighter shd sound good for its price as dn12 is an budget iem but sounds little better than soundmagic......And I meant identical,oh yeah similar in shape means the conical but not exactly with the dimensions of it or whatsoever.....

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #56 of 149
Yep...
Cheers

I have DN-12 Trident, it doesn't have any similarities with DN-1000 and DN-2000, totally different sound signature.  DN-12 is bassy, smooth, and lacking in detail.  Nice sounding, but doesn't punch through it's price point.

How do you compare Xiaomi Piston 2 and the Ubsound Fighter?

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #57 of 149
I'm sorry for the mistake... indeed I meant dn-11.. my sister's iem...
So I confirm that finally I've never seen Trident nor dn-12 :D (only pictures) which are the same thing, but as per Earfonia feedback below, my first though was correct about the Trident.
Now I understand what you meant with identical... I'm sorry for my English.
Concerning the Soundmagic iems, I've seen many reviews, but never tested.
Cheers

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #58 of 149
Hi Earfonia,
How would I compare Pistons 2 Vs Fighter? eh.. let's try:
Xiaomi Pistons 2
even though are V-shaped, a bit more n-shaped compared to my liking
lacking in details while you use them with an high volume
great mids but a bit forced and not natural
very nice and cool design... also an accurate packaging
be carefull about the fakes, it's full in the online shops
a very good price considering the performances (around 30 USD for the original)
Basically a totally different sound timbre compared with the Fighter.
Ubsound Fighter:
Lovely design and great materials
Resistent flat wire and a single button with microphone on the right cable
Soft and confortable earbuds included IMHO (at least for my ears)
Bass: well-rounded, deep and quite textured
Mids: detailed, quite natural, warm and with an acceptable 3d image although their clear V-shaped signature
Highs: powerfull, sweet and precise with no distorsion
A long burn-in of 20 hours, then perfect performance
For their price, I think a best buy.
I hope my "English" description was enough clear...
Regarding the DN-1000, eh.. I'm very close to pick them...
Let's see, I'll keep you posted
Cheers

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #59 of 149
I'm sorry for the mistake... indeed I meant dn-11.. my sister's iem...
So I confirm that finally I've never seen Trident nor dn-12 :D (only pictures) which are the same thing, but as per Earfonia feedback below, my first though was correct about the Trident.
Now I understand what you meant with identical... I'm sorry for my English.
Concerning the Soundmagic iems, I've seen many reviews, but never tested.
Cheers

non c'è problema.....I was bit confused....btw,you can use "quote" button found below each post to respond to a particular post......

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #60 of 149
Hi Earfonia,
How would I compare Pistons 2 Vs Fighter? eh.. let's try:
Xiaomi Pistons 2
even though are V-shaped, a bit more n-shaped compared to my liking
lacking in details while you use them with an high volume
great mids but a bit forced and not natural
very nice and cool design... also an accurate packaging
be carefull about the fakes, it's full in the online shops
a very good price considering the performances (around 30 USD for the original)
Basically a totally different sound timbre compared with the Fighter.
Ubsound Fighter:
Lovely design and great materials
Resistent flat wire and a single button with microphone on the right cable
Soft and confortable earbuds included IMHO (at least for my ears)
Bass: well-rounded, deep and quite textured
Mids: detailed, quite natural, warm and with an acceptable 3d image although their clear V-shaped signature
Highs: powerfull, sweet and precise with no distorsion
A long burn-in of 20 hours, then perfect performance
For their price, I think a best buy.
I hope my "English" description was enough clear...
Regarding the DN-1000, eh.. I'm very close to pick them...
Let's see, I'll keep you posted
Cheers

Great thanks!
Concise impressions!

Right, Xiaomi is good for the price, but has it's own weaknesses.
You're most Piston on online shops are fakes.  Whenever possible buy direct from Xiaomi.  I bought the fake just to compare, sounds really crappy :p

Do you hear the Fighter to be more V Shape than Piston?  More in treble or bass?
Since I'm a V shape fans as well, I'm interested to try the Fighter, but must buy from Amazon Italy.

FYI, from V-shaped point of view, DN-1000 can be considered flat, but not n-shaped. Bass and treble is very well extended in good level to the midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back