REVIEW AND COMPARISON OF 23 HOME HEADPHONE AMPS add Travagans Red
Nov 1, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought and owned a Doge on the strength of this review.

I'd like to say I completely agree with the review and have to say that it is a reasonable amp for the price but for me, it wasn't a bargain nor a giant killer.

Basically I wasn't happy with the build quality nor with the sound.

Frankly I found the build quality of the parts inside the amp shocking. The thin wires used in the point to point wiring were wrapped in peeling paper. The soldering itself very DIY.

The impedence selector would cut the sound out from one channel until 'twiddled'.

There initially seemed to be a strong bias to the right channel which I tried to fix by replacing the volume pot. This did improve it a lot but didn't completely eliminate it, I thought.

The sound was okay but never really grabbed me despite putting in some very expensive Mullard tubes - CV4004 and Mullard EL84 (need to disconnect the 1st pin for it to work with this tube).

I'd like to do a comparative test against similarly priced amps but I think I would struggle to hear the differences unless I had an extended ownership period with each one.

On 5-17-07 you posted this on the Doge 6210 thread:

....I think my Doge / AKG 271S combo is brilliant. It performs better than it has any right to......

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #18 of 46
Thanks for the update of your excellent review. I like the Opera more than you did, but of course we all hear things differently.

I'd love to get a Doge to compare to my other tube amps (currently Darkvoice 337 and ASL MG Head OTL III), but I am really worried about all the comments I have read about it's poor (or at least highly variable) build quality. I need to find one used in the F/S forums that is known to be good...

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 46
I think I just responded to a post very similar
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't see it on your list, but I REALLY like the Cute Beyond from Firestone Audio. I just got one a month ago but Im in love with it. Everything sounds so much better. I have to admit, Im very much a newb with this whole field in general but I know what I sounds good, at least to me
smily_headphones1.gif
Would love to hear some feedback, if you have tried it, and how it compared to the other products you have.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #20 of 46
Skylab
I liked the Doge, but the amps are pretty good at the upper level. You can hear palpable differences, but how do you weight what amplifier characteristic(s) make it "better"? For example: Which attribute is more important, bass or soundstage?

Compared to amps of just a few years ago, I could live with any of the top units in this comparison.

I am glad you seem to have stuck with your ASL MG Head mkIII. It does not have the controlled deep bass of the Opera, or the detail of the Bada, but the ASL just sounds cohesive.

Do you feel the top amps in your portable review are close to one another if you were to rate them in total?

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 46
No doubt that is all very true. The top tier of amps in any given category are very, very good indeed, and very close to each other in overall performance even if they do have specific differences (which they all do).

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #22 of 46
tbonner1 that's an excellent review of the Opera! It is funny how reading your review I was agreeing with everything you said, yet you concluded you don't like the Opera, while I think it is the best value among the high-end headamps. If it only had better imaging and a deeper soundstage I would say "the best" without qualifications.
Obviously everyone has different priorities: for me the (relative) lack of dynamics is much less important than a warm, relaxing and still absolutely reference sound.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #25 of 46
Links in this thread have yet to be repair from the "Great Darkness."

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #26 of 46
Links repaired. If anyone sees any that I missed please let me know.

Please post any ideas for more amps you would like to see added to this comparison.

Dec 23, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No doubt that is all very true. The top tier of amps in any given category are very, very good indeed, and very close to each other in overall performance even if they do have specific differences (which they all do).

I observed that tbonner1 has different favorite in sounding with you so makes him ranks Opera lower. While he is quite focus on the high, so he expected there is sparkle in treble; plus, think that Denon D5000 has too much bass with Opera.

My thought is D5000 with Opera is particularly suitable for listening pop/rock music, not because the weight of bass but the punchy this combo creates (Opera doesn't have this with other headphones). Personally, I dislike too much emphasis in treble because this opposites with the mean of neutral sounding which many audiophiles dreaming of.

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #29 of 46
Great work tbonner1.

If I had your money I would review more amps, or at least buy the Denon D5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back