REVIEW AND COMPARISON: Eddie Current Balancing Act and SUPER 7
Jun 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #346 of 422
Quote:
So no one has heard the S7 with the C-core transformer and upgraded caps yet, is that right?

Also, is it reasonable to think that the 6SN7 as an output tube in a well-executed circuit (as the S7 no doubt is) is capable of producing images with the palpability of the 2A3?

The S7 is very precise in terms of localizing instruments left to right. But if you are referring to the openness, depth, layering, and special characteristics of the direct heated triodes such as the 2A3, the answer is likely no. 

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #347 of 422
I don't think those impressions are in this thread. Could you point me to them, please? Also, we do mean the same thing by palpable imaging and I'm very glad to hear that the S7 can accomplish it.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #348 of 422
Jun 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #349 of 422
Yeah, there were cap impressions somewhere earlier from the Bay area meet time frame as well.  No reason not to get it really unless clarity is a bad thing.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #351 of 422
Today I received my Super 7, however I won't able to give you guys any impressions any time soon due to missing power cords and tubes.  But here are some photos to show you guys.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #354 of 422
Just want to chime in with some initial impressions with this amp, so far only has about 6hrs of usage so might not be at its best.

Setup:
PC USB > HRT Music Streamer II+ > EC Super 7 w/Tung-sol 6SN7 GTB tubes > Sennheiser HD650 w/4pin XLR balanced cable

One of the most noticeable sound signature of the S7 is string instruments are very good, it has a nice weight to it.
Bass is another characteristics of this amp very good control of bass slam doesn't feels distort.
I think it is a faster dynamic amp than my Audio-gd ROC amp (SS).
S7 also tame some of the treble spike in my recording, so I able to enjoy my music longer.
Overall, I would say S7 is fast, great bass, smooth and has good instrument body weight amp.

I still think either the tube or my source isn't giving me the best of the amp, so I will update in the future if I acquired any new DAC.

Thanks for reading.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #355 of 422
Cheapest immediately upgrade for ~$30 on eBay taking into account your headphones. Change just the driver tube to a Sylvania chrome top 6SN7GTB.

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #356 of 422
Something like this purrin? Just that sometimes they have different color text so not sure which is a better match for my setup.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #359 of 422
Mine is very quiet, did you check the tubes to see if they are working properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back