REVIEW: A Novice's Take on Sennheiser's MX580
Aug 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #46 of 59
great review and nice pictures thans @ kjk1281

Quote:
INTRODUCTION
Hello Head-Fi! Today I present to you all a humble review of one of Sennheiser's latest earbuds, the MX580.

Before I begin, I should state that the perceived sound quality of earbuds is highly dependent on fit, the anatomy of one's ear, and other factors, such as the use of foams, etc. As always, your mileage may vary.

BUILD QUALITY
Being a Sennheiser product, I had high expectations for the MX580's build quality. These earbuds certainly don't disappoint, with quality plastics used throughout. The design is rather original (most likely a way to make the body harder to counterfeit) and the tasteful chrome accents on the housing are a nice touch (though they end up being concealed when foams are used). The cable is unfortunately not the same as the excellent one utilized on the MX471; just a standard rubberized / elastomer cable is used here. The MX580 does have the same L-plug, with its compact size and nicely designed strain relief. It's also quite welcome that Sennheiser added a cord slider.

Of course, I should point out that this MX580 comes with a volume controller. The attenuator doesn't seem to have a large effect on sound quality, but I have noticed that there is a signal imbalance somewhere between halfway and 65~75%, and that the control itself isn't exactly linear or precise between those intervals. I don't find it to be much of a problem when keeping it on 100% or below 50%. As for physical attributes, the attenuator is of a slightly larger size, not dissimilar to that used on the older MX55 or 65, or the CX250. It is light, but I have noticed some annoying movement while walking. Thankfully, a clip is included to reduce this unwanted movement, though many here will rather do away with volume controller entirely.

r9o8dj.jpg

[size=xx-small]The MX580 comes with a variety of accessories, including a fitment kit, pouch[/size]

ACCESSORIES AND FIT
The package, which I might add is thankfully not a blister pack, contains several accessories. The pouch is very useful, particularly because of its oversized nature. (Apparently, the pouch was designed to fit a 4th generation iPod Nano.) Also included is a shirt clip, the usual pair of foams, and two pairs of rubber rings, which I'll get to in a bit.

I must confess that I have been quite fortunate when it comes to the anatomy of my outer ear. Its shape, combined with my general lack of an antitragus, allows me to wear virtually any earbud, including larger models like Sennheiser's MX500 and MX760. Of course, not everybody is so lucky. Perhaps Sennheiser has finally noticed (or it could just be that the driver they sourced was of a smaller variety) since the new MX580 (along with the MX471 and others in the entry-level earbud series) has a smaller housing. Undoubtedly, this will cause some fit issues for those with larger ears, so Sennheiser included two pairs of rubber rings. One of the pairs acts as a sort of mini-suction cup to presumably provide a seal of sorts. This ring, which was included with previous Sennheisers such as those with the Twist-to-Fit system (MX55/65, 75/85, 90/95) and others, never really worked for me, so I skipped those this time. I did try the other pair, which acts as a simple gasket to enlargen the diameter of the driver housing. The sound was rather thin until I used a pair of foams over the rings. In the end though I just stuck with the foams only, but it is nice to have some form of flexibility and choice when it comes to fit.

2en2c6t.jpg

[size=xx-small]A side-by-side housing comparison of the MX580 (left) and MX760 (right)[/size]

2egbk34.jpg

[size=xx-small]A close-up of the MX580 housings[/size]

SOUND QUALITY
The description on the package of the MX580 boasts "Impressive Clarity." While the majority of such text is absolute drivel, I'm actually in agreement here. The first thing I noticed (after I got the optimal fit) was a very crisp and transparent sound. That is not to say that this transparency is achieved by sacrificing bass, since that's certainly not the case here. The low frequencies are ample, with a nice tight, punchy response and a touch of warmth. I should note though that the bass impact, while present, isn't of the skull-crushing variety, so many bassheads may not be satisfied here.

The midrange may be the MX580's best asset. Clear, detailed, powerful, and slightly forward, the mids perform well with voices and are particularly great at rendering strings of all types. Undoubtedly, much of this has to do with the drivers' speed, and the tonality for the most part seems relatively accurate, though this is certainly dependent on fit. That point also extends to the treble: With the right fit, the high frequency response is just right to my ear, with nice extension, clarity, and articulation. The quantity may be slightly on the abundant side, but it usually isn't a problem. A loose or inadequate fit however may lead to splashy or ear-piecing treble (along with recessions in the lower midrange or peaks in the upper mids).

The MX660 and MX760 may be best known for their soundstage, though the way it was presented was somewhat controversial. Those two earbuds had a massive soundstage that some felt threatened the cohesiveness of the presentation. Because of the more forward mids of the MX580, that is not a problem (though I personally never had an issue with the MX*60 soundstage). Of course, it also makes the stage seem slightly smaller, but overall it is still quite large and open in earbud terms. Imaging seems to be improved compared to the last gen. models, particularly with left-to-right placement.

To continue the comparison, in terms of overall signature, the MX580 has a cooler, brighter, more accurate, and slightly analytical presentation, while the MX760 utilizes reverberation and its massive soundstage to mimic a more headphone-like sound, and is certainly warmer/darker and more laid-back comparatively speaking. That's not to say that the MX580 sounds small, but there is definitely something unique about the MX660/760's presentation.

CONCLUSION
After coming from the stellar MX760, I was both excited and anxious to try the new MX580. It is without a doubt a brilliant product whose detailed sound and excellent fit make it another Sennheiser earbud worthy of consideration. However, while I feel that many Head-Fiers would prefer the newer Senns, the general population may find the older models to be more agreeable with their warmer and lusher sound. As these earbuds were just released, the verdict is certainly still out. For me, the older and newer models differ enough in sound presentation that they complement each other nicely, and I can definitely see both models getting a lot of head-time (ear-time?) from me for the foreseeable future.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #47 of 59
kjk1281, thanks. :)  I picked these up today and have been listening to them ever since.  I am stunned by the clarity of sound these earphones offer.  Especially for the price.  I picked these up on a whim without reading any reviews and could not believe my luck when I heard the sound.  IMO, this is one of the best bang for the buck earphones out there.

Quote:
The cord slider "locks" into the Y-split:

All you have to do is pull the slider carefully away from the split relief.  It can then be adjusted to reduce cable movement.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #48 of 59
I wrote a reply to kjk1281 but it looks like it's being held for moderator review since I'm new here.  I hope it goes through.  The jist of it was a thank you for the explanation of how the cord slider worked, and that these earphones offer amazingly clear sound for the price.  IMO, one of the best bang for your buck earphones out there.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #49 of 59
Quote:
great review and nice pictures thans @ kjk1281

Thanks, but you didn't have to quote the whole review.
wink.gif

Quote:
kjk1281, thanks. :)  I picked these up today and have been listening to them ever since.  I am stunned by the clarity of sound these earphones offer.  Especially for the price.  I picked these up on a whim without reading any reviews and could not believe my luck when I heard the sound.  IMO, this is one of the best bang for the buck earphones out there.

Glad you're liking them revoc!  I still find the clarity of the MX580 to be quite impressive and I really couldn't be happier for such a small investment.

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #50 of 59
hello guys, I got my mx580s last week after reading this post with the intention of replacing my cx300s that have more than 2 years now
ksc75smile.gif
I wanted something with more mids and highs, the mx580s were burned for near 30hours, well as everybody is saying they are really great and clear with mids and highs not like the cx300 hehe  the thing I really didnt like about them is the bass and this is definitive for me
triportsad.gif
  I find the bass is very weak for me also the isolation is not very good this using the foams I tried the other options and I found the foams had the better bass, I was listening them today at work and In one moment I was only listening to mids and highs and I really hated that, Im not a bass fan but I connected the cx300 and hear the difference wow! I was instantly into  the music the in ear design and the bass presence is a definitive advantage for me so  I returned them today and now im thinking on getting the cx300-II wich fwir are more balanced with greater mids and highs than the classic cx300s

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #51 of 59
Sorry to hear you didnt like the 580s! I was underwhelmed at first as well but now I appreciate the clarity and brightness I get with $30 buds. You should give yourself a bit of time after you get a new IEM to see if you get used to the sound signature and start liking it. Also, dont expect isolation from ear buds as theyre not made to do that. I suppose if you like the cx300 you can go for the cx300-II, but I think there are much better options in that price range. Ive only listened to them briefly but I think think the bass is muddy, although improved on the cx300-II. Maybe something like the Brainwavz m9 if youre looking to spend around $20. If you can go higher and youre looking for bass, I thought the Panasonic HJE900 had crazy bass. Also, the Fischer Eterna v1.

Quote:
hello guys, I got my mx580s last week after reading this post with the intention of replacing my cx300s that have more than 2 years now
ksc75smile.gif
I wanted something with more mids and highs, the mx580s were burned for near 30hours, well as everybody is saying they are really great and clear with mids and highs not like the cx300 hehe  the thing I really didnt like about them is the bass and this is definitive for me
triportsad.gif
  I find the bass is very weak for me also the isolation is not very good this using the foams I tried the other options and I found the foams had the better bass, I was listening them today at work and In one moment I was only listening to mids and highs and I really hated that, Im not a bass fan but I connected the cx300 and hear the difference wow! I was instantly into  the music the in ear design and the bass presence is a definitive advantage for me so  I returned them today and now im thinking on getting the cx300-II wich fwir are more balanced with greater mids and highs than the classic cx300s

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #52 of 59
Quote:
Sorry to hear you didnt like the 580s! I was underwhelmed at first as well but now I appreciate the clarity and brightness I get with $30 buds. You should give yourself a bit of time after you get a new IEM to see if you get used to the sound signature and start liking it. Also, dont expect isolation from ear buds as theyre not made to do that. I suppose if you like the cx300 you can go for the cx300-II, but I think there are much better options in that price range. Ive only listened to them briefly but I think think the bass is muddy, although improved on the cx300-II. Maybe something like the Brainwavz m9 if youre looking to spend around $20. If you can go higher and youre looking for bass, I thought the Panasonic HJE900 had crazy bass. Also, the Fischer Eterna v1.

hello Joseph! I did like them buuuut I wasnt convinced by their bass hehe here at work a lot of outside noise was entering the music and I feel like was listening only to mids and highs, the bass was kind of lost with the noise 
triportsad.gif
and yes thats because they are ear buds.

Im living in mexico and its hard to find great headphones here and the ones u can find are veeeery expensive,  I had the shure srh440s that I found veeeery unconfortable and i just sold also an AKG450 that had some noise in one side I also sold this and cant find another ones here, for now with that money I decided to buy senheiser hd238 and see if they are confortable for daily work, if not im gonna get the cx300II sadly I cant get another quality iems brand here
frown.gif
      greetings!

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #54 of 59
Quote:
Try doing a wtb on the fs forums! Some of the members dont mind doing international shipping.

hi  finally I decided not to get the 238 as they are open and will leak sound in and out, I ordered cx300II they will arrive tomorrow.

Im gonna consider the sales forum for my home headphones buy, the bad thing here is the shipping is very expensive
frown.gif

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #55 of 59
Really good review and pictures! Thanks a Lot!

Today, I bought my MX580s on a local Sennheiser's Store called "mundosennhaiser" (In Mexico City), when I came to the store, I found that the 580s are in a "Summer sale" for only 14 USD! (normally, I will found this for USD 46)

Cheers!

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #56 of 59
Thanks kjk1281 for your great review.
After having a chance to test the sound quality from both Sennheiser MX 471 and Sennheiser MX 580.
I decided to pull the trigger on the MX580 due to more sound clarity and more balance.
I feel that the MX471 has a tad too much bass compared to MX580.
Though I had to pay USD50 for the MX580, whereas the MX471 cost USD30.
But as a gift for mum, I had to choose the best among the 2 for her.

Thank you again for your guidance.
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #57 of 59
Really good review and pictures! Thanks a Lot!

Today, I bought my MX580s on a local Sennheiser's Store called "mundosennhaiser" (In Mexico City), when I came to the store, I found that the 580s are in a "Summer sale" for only 14 USD! (normally, I will found this for USD 46)

Cheers!

A bit late with the reply, but I'm glad you found the review helpful! $14 is a silly good deal on these earbuds.

Thanks kjk1281 for your great review.
After having a chance to test the sound quality from both Sennheiser MX 471 and Sennheiser MX 580.
I decided to pull the trigger on the MX580 due to more sound clarity and more balance.
I feel that the MX471 has a tad too much bass compared to MX580.
Though I had to pay USD50 for the MX580, whereas the MX471 cost USD30.
But as a gift for mum, I had to choose the best among the 2 for her.

Thank you again for your guidance.:D

Thanks! Sometimes I forget how expensive headphones can be in some places. And I too agree with your comparison between the MX471 and MX580, though I do think the extra bass of the MX471 works well outdoors.

Anyway, I do hope that Sennheiser continues to realize that there's still a market for entry level earbuds, and I look forward to future releases from the company. I have my eye on the MX375 but unfortunately it's not sold here in the US. Looks like I'll have to import the MX985 as well, though that's not exactly entry level.

May 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #59 of 59
Quote:
A bit late with the reply, but I'm glad you found the review helpful! $14 is a silly good deal on these earbuds.
Thanks! Sometimes I forget how expensive headphones can be in some places. And I too agree with your comparison between the MX471 and MX580, though I do think the extra bass of the MX471 works well outdoors.

Anyway, I do hope that Sennheiser continues to realize that there's still a market for entry level earbuds, and I look forward to future releases from the company. I have my eye on the MX375 but unfortunately it's not sold here in the US. Looks like I'll have to import the MX985 as well, though that's not exactly entry level.

Have you tried on the MX375 yet? How good are they? I would love to see a review on them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back