REVIEW: A Novice's Take on Sennheiser's MX580
Mar 11, 2010 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

kjk1281

1000+ Head-Fier
INTRODUCTION
Hello Head-Fi! Today I present to you all a humble review of one of Sennheiser's latest earbuds, the MX580.

Before I begin, I should state that the perceived sound quality of earbuds is highly dependent on fit, the anatomy of one's ear, and other factors, such as the use of foams, etc. As always, your mileage may vary.

BUILD QUALITY
Being a Sennheiser product, I had high expectations for the MX580's build quality. These earbuds certainly don't disappoint, with quality plastics used throughout. The design is rather original (most likely a way to make the body harder to counterfeit) and the tasteful chrome accents on the housing are a nice touch (though they end up being concealed when foams are used). The cable is unfortunately not the same as the excellent one utilized on the MX471; just a standard rubberized / elastomer cable is used here. The MX580 does have the same L-plug, with its compact size and nicely designed strain relief. It's also quite welcome that Sennheiser added a cord slider.

Of course, I should point out that this MX580 comes with a volume controller. The attenuator doesn't seem to have a large effect on sound quality, but I have noticed that there is a signal imbalance somewhere between halfway and 65~75%, and that the control itself isn't exactly linear or precise between those intervals. I don't find it to be much of a problem when keeping it on 100% or below 50%. As for physical attributes, the attenuator is of a slightly larger size, not dissimilar to that used on the older MX55 or 65, or the CX250. It is light, but I have noticed some annoying movement while walking. Thankfully, a clip is included to reduce this unwanted movement, though many here will rather do away with volume controller entirely.

r9o8dj.jpg

[size=xx-small]The MX580 comes with a variety of accessories, including a fitment kit, pouch[/size]

ACCESSORIES AND FIT
The package, which I might add is thankfully not a blister pack, contains several accessories. The pouch is very useful, particularly because of its oversized nature. (Apparently, the pouch was designed to fit a 4th generation iPod Nano.) Also included is a shirt clip, the usual pair of foams, and two pairs of rubber rings, which I'll get to in a bit.

I must confess that I have been quite fortunate when it comes to the anatomy of my outer ear. Its shape, combined with my general lack of an antitragus, allows me to wear virtually any earbud, including larger models like Sennheiser's MX500 and MX760. Of course, not everybody is so lucky. Perhaps Sennheiser has finally noticed (or it could just be that the driver they sourced was of a smaller variety) since the new MX580 (along with the MX471 and others in the entry-level earbud series) has a smaller housing. Undoubtedly, this will cause some fit issues for those with larger ears, so Sennheiser included two pairs of rubber rings. One of the pairs acts as a sort of mini-suction cup to presumably provide a seal of sorts. This ring, which was included with previous Sennheisers such as those with the Twist-to-Fit system (MX55/65, 75/85, 90/95) and others, never really worked for me, so I skipped those this time. I did try the other pair, which acts as a simple gasket to enlargen the diameter of the driver housing. The sound was rather thin until I used a pair of foams over the rings. In the end though I just stuck with the foams only, but it is nice to have some form of flexibility and choice when it comes to fit.

2en2c6t.jpg

[size=xx-small]A side-by-side housing comparison of the MX580 (left) and MX760 (right)[/size]

2egbk34.jpg

[size=xx-small]A close-up of the MX580 housings[/size]

SOUND QUALITY
The description on the package of the MX580 boasts "Impressive Clarity." While the majority of such text is absolute drivel, I'm actually in agreement here. The first thing I noticed (after I got the optimal fit) was a very crisp and transparent sound. That is not to say that this transparency is achieved by sacrificing bass, since that's certainly not the case here. The low frequencies are ample, with a nice tight, punchy response and a touch of warmth. I should note though that the bass impact, while present, isn't of the skull-crushing variety, so many bassheads may not be satisfied here.

The midrange may be the MX580's best asset. Clear, detailed, powerful, and slightly forward, the mids perform well with voices and are particularly great at rendering strings of all types. Undoubtedly, much of this has to do with the drivers' speed, and the tonality for the most part seems relatively accurate, though this is certainly dependent on fit. That point also extends to the treble: With the right fit, the high frequency response is just right to my ear, with nice extension, clarity, and articulation. The quantity may be slightly on the abundant side, but it usually isn't a problem. A loose or inadequate fit however may lead to splashy or ear-piecing treble (along with recessions in the lower midrange or peaks in the upper mids).

The MX660 and MX760 may be best known for their soundstage, though the way it was presented was somewhat controversial. Those two earbuds had a massive soundstage that some felt threatened the cohesiveness of the presentation. Because of the more forward mids of the MX580, that is not a problem (though I personally never had an issue with the MX*60 soundstage). Of course, it also makes the stage seem slightly smaller, but overall it is still quite large and open in earbud terms. Imaging seems to be improved compared to the last gen. models, particularly with left-to-right placement.

To continue the comparison, in terms of overall signature, the MX580 has a cooler, brighter, more accurate, and slightly analytical presentation, while the MX760 utilizes reverberation and its massive soundstage to mimic a more headphone-like sound, and is certainly warmer/darker and more laid-back comparatively speaking. That's not to say that the MX580 sounds small, but there is definitely something unique about the MX660/760's presentation.

CONCLUSION
After coming from the stellar MX760, I was both excited and anxious to try the new MX580. It is without a doubt a brilliant product whose detailed sound and excellent fit make it another Sennheiser earbud worthy of consideration. However, while I feel that many Head-Fiers would prefer the newer Senns, the general population may find the older models to be more agreeable with their warmer and lusher sound. As these earbuds were just released, the verdict is certainly still out. For me, the older and newer models differ enough in sound presentation that they complement each other nicely, and I can definitely see both models getting a lot of head-time (ear-time?) from me for the foreseeable future.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 59
Nice review. Look like MX580 is a keeper. I glad the new MX series is a bit smaller in diameter than the last generation, hopefully MX980 will be the same as well.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 59
Just got words from a fellow local Head-fier that all the new stuffs, including the new Expression Line, have reached Asia. Sennheiser Asia is actually having an introductory sale at Singapore PC fair at the moment, but unfortunately I am too busy to visit Singapore now
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 59
i went to Singapore PC fair yesterday.. they don't have mx760 anymore
frown.gif
there are mx580 & mx581 iirc.. too many ppl there.. and too noisy to try..

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 59
MX760 has been officially discontinued for almost a year now, that's why you won't find Sennheiser selling it at PC pair. However, if you look into retail store, some of them still carry it and on a very low price. Last time I was in Singapore, Challenger store at the top floor of Funan plaze has a lot of them.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 59
RM99 is a little too low. Unless it is from a very reliable seller, I would worry about its authenticity. There are tons and tons of fake Sennheiser earbuds coming from China that look and feel the same as the real stuff till you have a listen. A computer store I frequent actually sell extremely cheap, fake AKG, Sennheiser and Sony that look very much like the real deal. It will take an expert's eye and a skeptic's mind to figure that there is no such great a deal.

Last time when I was in Singapore (in late January), I saw MX760 being sold by Challenger at around S$80 in full retail package. The original MSRP is twice as much but I guess they are trying to clear out their old stock. They are Senn. authorized dealer so I won't worry about getting a fake - plus it is rather difficult to find fake in most Singapore stores unless you know where to look.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckchan526 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i went to Singapore PC fair yesterday.. they don't have mx760 anymore
frown.gif
there are mx580 & mx581 iirc.. too many ppl there.. and too noisy to try..

Would've loved to read a comparison between the MX580 and 581, but the conditions at the fair probably wouldn't have been ideal anyway. Regarding the MX760, I hope you'll be able to find them someday as I think its sound is quite unique.

In other news, I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on the MX471. I'm particularly interested if there's any differences in sound between the 0s and 1s and between the 58Xs and 47Xs.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 59
Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to share some thoughts on the MX471, which I received a few days ago.

Firstly, I must say that the cable is outstanding: soft and very manageable, and looks great to boot. Fit too is great; I'm currently wear them with either just the rubber rings or the ring/foam combo.

As for the sound, to my ears the MX471 and MX580 sound very similar, at least to the point where I could speculate that they utilize the same transducers. There are some slight differences though. The MX580 is very clear with a more airy sound, while the MX471 seems to have slightly more bass while also being a bit more mid-forward. It's the latter that bothers my ears a little bit: I'm really sensitive to midrange resonances, and the MX471 seems to exhibit them in the same way my old Head-Direct RE2 did. It's probably only an issue with my weird ears, and I only notice it with some types of music where notes are held in those affected frequencies (i.e. classical, orchestral soundtracks, or jazz). I'm curious as to whether this is caused by the differences in housings (and/or the resulting fit) or if the MX58Xs have a smoother/recessed response in this region. Perhaps some burn-in will alleviate some of this, but either way, I feel that the MX471 is a great value for its price, and they certainly check most of the right boxes.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 59
I think the midrange problem will get better with burn-in. If not, I learned that the thicker foams will smooth them out and could fix the issue entirely. I was sneaky when I returned my MX880 and switched my unused 471 thin pads and kept the thicker ones I had used on the MX880. I think Radio Shack still sells thicker foams.

I will probably get the OMX181. Instead of running out and buying it right away for $50, I'll have both the OMX181 and MX471 for the same $50. The OMX181 will be great for sports as the cable is strong and they won't go anywhere. The 471 fit quite well but real running around demands ear clips and the VC kills hiss/weak reception noise from my radio.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 59
Thanks jant71 for the advice. I tried out the MX580s briefly without the foams and I'm hearing the same resonance and peak, so the foams do seem to make a difference. I'll try to dig up some of the older thicker Senn foams (the ones that came with the MX55/65/75/85/90/95) and see if it helps. The thing is, other than that slight issue, I actually prefer the sound of the MX471 with just the ring and without pads. It's quite interesting considering the differences foams and fit can make with these buds.

Anyway, looking forward to the OMX impressions! I'm particularly interested in the fit and comfort and any other differences that the form factor may bring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back