REVIEW: A Novice's Take on Sennheiser's MX580
Mar 27, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxLHRxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here already tested Yuin PK3 to compare?
I'm in doubt about MX580 or PK3.

I think jant71 has tried both the PK3 and MX471*. Take a look at his impressions on the Sennheisers starting with this post.

*I happen to own the MX471 and MX580, and find them to sound largely the same outside of differences from fit. My earlier findings of the MX471 sounding bassier and more mid-forward are due to the earbuds having a better fit than the MX580. I find that when I loosely place the MX471s in my ear (and use only the foams and not the rubber rings), the same airy and transparent sound that I loved with the MX580 can be achieved.

May 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #17 of 59

Quote:
Anyway, looking forward to the OMX impressions! I'm particularly interested in the fit and comfort and any other differences that the form factor may bring.

I traded for a pair of OMX's and received them today. Different fit/feel since there are no stems, only the clips. The volume control is better than the MX880 one; smaller, nicer looking, no imbalance problems and less travel. Since they are rubber covered metal clips they can be bent to be comfortable for most people. People with larger ears may find the clips short or small. Of course they can fit good regardless of foam/ring choice since it is not those pieces holding them in anymore.

May 30, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #18 of 59
What about MX470? Anyone tried these yet? They look like MX580 without the volume control. I'm curious about how they sound and I'd like to know if they are in some way similar to the MX580. The lack of volume control for me is a bonus and I've seen some 470 around for cheap, so I could pull the trigger some day...

Regards
K.

May 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 59
Quote:
I traded for a pair of OMX's and received them today. Different fit/feel since there are no stems, only the clips. The volume control is better than the MX880 one; smaller, nicer looking, no imbalance problems and less travel. Since they are rubber covered metal clips they can be bent to be comfortable for most people. People with larger ears may find the clips short or small. Of course they can fit good regardless of foam/ring choice since it is not those pieces holding them in anymore.

Thanks for the impressions jant71!  I was somewhat worried about whether the clips were adjustable and if they'd work on larger ears (assuming you're commenting on the 181).

Quote:
What about MX470? Anyone tried these yet? They look like MX580 without the volume control. I'm curious about how they sound and I'd like to know if they are in some way similar to the MX580. The lack of volume control for me is a bonus and I've seen some 470 around for cheap, so I could pull the trigger some day...

Regards
K.

I've been interested in these for quite a while, but instead went with the MX471 since I wanted to compare the sizes of the housings and sound differences, and the great cable sealed the deal.  Depending on how inexpensive they are, I'd just go for it.
tongue.gif

Anyway, since my initial impressions, I've concluded that there are indeed some differences between the MX580 and MX471.  I probably should update the OP with my findings, but I'd like to hold out just a little bit longer in hopes that the title edit feature will be revived.  What I will say is that the MX580 just sounds a bit clearer and larger-sounding overall, with a more neutral response.  The MX471 seems to have more bass, and isn't quite as resolved.  Again, it could just be my weird ears, and the differences aren't that large but certainly noticeable (much like comparing the MX660 and MX760).

May 31, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 59
470 and 471 are the same price here. I think I'll try some 471. Thanks for impressions.
bigsmile_face.gif

Regards
K.

May 31, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #22 of 59

Quote:

Thanks for the impressions jant71!  I was somewhat worried about whether the clips were adjustable and if they'd work on larger ears (assuming you're commenting on the 181).

I've been interested in these for quite a while, but instead went with the MX471 since I wanted to compare the sizes of the housings and sound differences, and the great cable sealed the deal.  Depending on how inexpensive they are, I'd just go for it.
tongue.gif

Anyway, since my initial impressions, I've concluded that there are indeed some differences between the MX580 and MX471.  I probably should update the OP with my findings, but I'd like to hold out just a little bit longer in hopes that the title edit feature will be revived.  What I will say is that the MX580 just sounds a bit clearer and larger-sounding overall, with a more neutral response.  The MX471 seems to have more bass, and isn't quite as resolved.  Again, it could just be my weird ears, and the differences aren't that large but certainly noticeable (much like comparing the MX660 and MX760).

Shame if the MX580 have less bass than the OMX181 and MX471 as I feel these two could use some more bass. Need to burn in the OMX181 fully but as their 118db/mW sensitivity vs. the MX471 120dB/mW shows they should be slightly less resolved against the MX471. The steps between the models are small but noticeable from OMX181 --> MX471 --> MX580 --> MX880. I am convinced they share the same driver. They want to save on R&D for sure and I notice the holes are placed differently on the different models. So I think they just adjust other things and use little tricks like including thicker pads with the MX880 to add warmth.

My speculation is that there are possibly three drivers:

One for MX170, 270, 370, 371(lowest level)
One for OMX180/181, MX470/471, 580, 880(mid level)
And one for the MX980, OMX980, and the wireless MX-W1(high level)

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #23 of 59
Can't wait to hear your impressions LTUCCI and kurtzi!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Shame if the MX580 have less bass than the OMX181 and MX471 as I feel these two could use some more bass.

It's interesting since there are times where I feel the MX471 has too much bass, not in terms of quantity, but rather in balance.  To my ears, with the foams on, the MX471's bass seems to spoil some of the midrange and treble clarity.  (I do love the impact though!)  I'm sure much of this is also because of the fit, which may indeed be too perfect for my ears.  Of course, I've found a solution: I now just use the rubber rings without the foam.  Problem solved!

The MX580 on the other hand seems to have enough bass for me, but there are times where I wish the mids are just a tad less forward.  They also seem to retain much of their detail even with the foams attached.

Quote:
The steps between the models are small but noticeable from OMX181 --> MX471 --> MX580 --> MX880. I am convinced they share the same driver. They want to save on R&D for sure and I notice the holes are placed differently on the different models. So I think they just adjust other things and use little tricks like including thicker pads with the MX880 to add warmth.

I was kind of surprised when I first received the MX580 because of their lack of ports.  The driver housing may indeed be vented (perhaps hidden behind the chrome accent?), but if it is it definitely isn't as noticeable as on the MX471.

Quote:
My speculation is that there are possibly three drivers:

One for MX170, 270, 370, 371(lowest level)
One for OMX180/181, MX470/471, 580, 880(mid level)
And one for the MX980, OMX980, and the wireless MX-W1(high level)

I have a strange feeling that the lower-end drivers may just be retuned MX450/550 drivers, sort of like how the MX360 sounded to me like a bassier MX400/500.  Just baseless speculation of mine.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #24 of 59
So, about a week ago me and a friend went to a local store and we bought a pair of MX471 and MX470. I had the oppurtunity during the last days to extensively try both.

MX470: I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with these. Not that they really are bad, but they have a couple of issues (IMHO). First, the comfort and fit: they don't stay in my ears really well, I've achieved the best fit (and sound) with the small sleeves and foams both on, but I still had to readjust the buds now and then, because they were prone to get loose and after a while I felt a bit of discomfort. About the sound: they are overall balanced, with forward mids and a certain lack of bass (but I think this is normal with earbuds). They have some boost in the upper-mids that create some listening fatigue to my ears after a while. Mid bass lacks some definition and overall the lower end suffers from a lack of "kick" and punch. I've found them a bit cold and fatiguing, with a narrow soundstage and I'm not impressed.

On the other hand I'm really impressed by MX471: they seem to be good in every area in which the 470 are not so good. Wider soundstage, warmer and smoother mids, deeper and punchier  bass and a sound that is overall more airy and not fatiguing. Trebles have not  an incredible extension, but they are present and clear and comfort and fit are good. The cable is maybe the best I've seen in this price range and they look cool to. I'm really liking them as they are making me rediscover the pleausure and convenience of simple earbuds. Some times, when using them in crowded streets, I still have to put my Sony's Clear Bass to +1 to feel a more present bass response, but the 471 mantain a balanced and airy sound. I dont' know if they share the same drivers with the 470 and differences are caused by different fit and housing, but to my ears they really sound different.

Best Regards
K.

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #25 of 59
Thanks for the detailed comparison and the excellent pic kurtzi!  I think this is the first time somebody has made a direct comparison between a 0 and a 1 on the same level.  Still wondering whether its really the housings and/or fit that accounts for the differences, or if there may indeed using different drivers between the two lines.  Now I'm interested in trying out the MX581, though I'm having trouble justifying the purchase outside of satisfying my curiosity.

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #27 of 59
I don't like volume control too. It's maybe the only bad point about my PX200-II, i never know where to put it. And on earbuds/IEMs it adds unnecessary weight.
As for the drivers: I'm oriented in thinking that the difference is more due to the housing, venting and fit and that at least 470/471 share the same drivers. Specs are exactly the same and price in the stores is the same too. But, of course, this is just a guess and maybe we will never know for sure...
smile_phones.gif

Have a nice day
K.

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #28 of 59

Quote:
I don't like volume control too. It's maybe the only bad point about my PX200-II, i never know where to put it. And on earbuds/IEMs it adds unnecessary weight.
As for the drivers: I'm oriented in thinking that the difference is more due to the housing, venting and fit and that at least 470/471 share the same drivers. Specs are exactly the same and price in the stores is the same too. But, of course, this is just a guess and maybe we will never know for sure...
smile_phones.gif

Have a nice day
K.

were on the same page dude
so hows the bass quality?
does it possess a deep extension?
how about soundstage?

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #29 of 59
Both bass and soundstage are surprisingly good, at least if we think how cheap they are. The best thing i like about these is airyness, they sound "open", full and detailed and not fatiguing at all to my ears (unlike the majority of earbuds I've tried in many ears). For the 19,90 I've paid they are great. Hope you'll enjoy yours, let us know your impressions...
beerchug.gif

Best Regards
K.

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #30 of 59
hey Kurtzi, have you ever tried the Yuin PK3? Could you do any comparison to the mx471? I think they look so awesome and are really cheap in UK.
Also, how is the housing? Is it the new 'smaller' or the old huge one? 

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back