[Review] a-Jays THREE
Aug 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shigzeo

The Hiss King
4927956837_2115a62361_o.jpg

I'll get photos up on Flickr tomorrow, but for now, I just wanted to point out that the a-Jays is a good choice on the market now. For hipsters, it looks great, for bass lovers, it'll knock your socks off. It'll still keep up good extension and has a fair amount of finesse. Build quality I think, is just okay as the flat cables tend to stress the housing a lot... something that Monster Beats Tour owners tell me quite often. 

Anyway, here is my review of the a-Jays THREE.

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Nice review! And yeah, the flat cables seem to be in now. Why, I don't know? Even the new Ultimate ears dynamics have them. They a-Jays do look cool though. I can imagine that cable in winter stiffening and making them really tough to wear. Cooler look but with decreased usability.

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Nice review! And yeah, the flat cables seem to be in now. Why, I don't know? Even the new Ultimate ears dynamics have them. They a-Jays do look cool though. I can imagine that cable in winter stiffening and making them really tough to wear. Cooler look but with decreased usability.

It's advertised to be tangle-free, it actually works really well for that! Tangles are always a problem with IEM's, specially if you don't bring a carrying case with you and just shove your headphones in your pocket. Just like me.

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 8
That's true. The cable doesn't tangle and I think that is important for the market Jays are aiming for. But, flat cables are NOT as strong as round cables. Jays could use a flat cable till about 1CM from the earphone and termination to make sure that wires don't get all nasty. 

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 8
I feel it necessary to point out that your site has a hilariously unhealthy obsession with asses!

Good review, looks like they're well and truly trying to tap into the Beats market with that design and sound signature. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 8
We do like 'apps', that's for sure. I agree with the beats market. It is obvious that Jays want to take on the dominant player: Sennheiser CX series while forging a 'cool' factor, especially with the design. I think their strategy works. Personally, the Jays isn't my favourite, but I think it should be a hit, especially if they can get US distribution at a good price. 

But again, the cable, as cool as it looks, is probably not as safe for its target market as it could be. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 8
I own the a-Jays Three and its seems to be a good consumer line of in-ears. The tangle free cord really does work, all I have to do is just hold out an end and just let gravity do the work.
The box and accessories that it comes with feels solid and very nicely packaged. I currently use the small sized sleeve and is a perfect fit. I would recommend these headphones for a person with small ears.

I do however have a problem with these in-ears. First, the cord generate a great deal of noise. Both white noise and contact noise. Since the cord has much more surface area than others, simply grazing the cord will produce some amount of noise. Secondly, after using it for a few weeks, I have noticed when I move the right cable around there seemed to be something moving inside the headphone casing. Thus generating some noise in the casing itself.
I have not owned many truly high end IEM's before but after listening to the a-Jays Three, it seems to be lacking in the low end. There just isn't enough "umph" to the bass and is often times overpowered by the high end. I would say it slightly leans more towards the high end, with the low end kind of missing.

Overall, a good consumer headphone (I bought it for around $70 @ the UK Jays website) It does lack in some areas but if you hate having tangled cables, this is the headphone for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back