Reversible AKG K701 bass mod
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #109 of 398
There were good and bad about this mod (some ppl like,some ppl dont prefer it)

4 main points i never wanna lose about this hp are:

Treble
Space
Clarity
Air

I wonder if this mod would descrease those key-points

Increasing bass( i like sub bass bettet than mid bass) while sacrificing those sure is a no-no for me,anyone plz confirm be4 i make my move ,appriciated :)

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #110 of 398
There were good and bad about this mod (some ppl like,some ppl dont prefer it)

4 main points i never wanna lose about this hp are:

Treble
Space
Clarity
Air

I wonder if this mod would descrease those key-points

Increasing bass( i like sub bass bettet than mid bass) while sacrificing those sure is a no-no for me,anyone plz confirm be4 i make my move ,appriciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Over the last few weeks I’ve been giving my K701s a lot more head time and interestingly enough I’ve found IMHO that those coveted aspects have greatly improved with the reinforced bottom end.
With the bass port mod there appears to be more pronounced layering, therefore a less two dimensional soundstage, more space and air if I may say so, treble extension and clarity remains the same but is now more evenhanded with regards to the overall aural spectrum and the fuller bottom end just makes my K701s more satisfying overall.
So by and large I guess I’m one of those “ppl” who have found the mod further improved rather than depreciate the K700 series signature, and yes it's more like adding a sub than increasing mid-bass.
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #111 of 398
  Over the last few weeks I’ve been giving my K701s a lot more head time and interestingly enough I’ve found IMHO that those coveted aspects have greatly improved with the reinforced bottom end.
With the bass port mod there appears to be more pronounced layering, therefore a less two dimensional soundstage, more space and air if I may say so, treble extension and clarity remains the same but is now more evenhanded with regards to the overall aural spectrum and the fuller bottom end just makes my K701s more satisfying overall.
So by and large I guess I’m one of those “ppl” who have found the mod further improved rather than depreciate the K700 series signature, and yes it's more like adding a sub than increasing mid-bass.
wink.gif

ill give it a go lol ,thankx

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #114 of 398
  It's a pitty that there's still no measurements around. Has anybody had a chance to directly compare a modded K 701 with a higher-class model (T1, HE 600, HD 700 or 800)?

I have the HD580/600 and HD700s, all 3 have their own sound signature and I wouldn’t call them higher class, just different.

My HD700s have been at Sennheiser waiting on a part these last few weeks so I have since then gotten fairly familiar with my modded K701’s.
Prior to getting the 700s I was always reaching for the HD600s if feeling for a bit more bass, the AKGs do not have the same impact as the HD700s but are now more on par with the HD600s with regards to the bass but with greater stage width and depth and as noted in my above post the treble is now more even handed.
Ok….on second thought the HD700s are in my view are of a higher class and it’ll be interesting to see how I feel about them once I get them back, but for now the K701s with the mod IMHO are a great all rounder.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #115 of 398
I cannot talk about the HD600 or HD650 as I auditioned them very slightly. HD700 and HD800 are in another league, not by that much in the HD700 case but the HD800 is noticeably better.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #116 of 398
Has someone already asked Tyll to graph a bass modded Q 701? I'm very curious to see what it does exactly. I'm getting my Q 701 in the mail Friday and I'm debating doing the mod because, if I mess up the tape and don't like the new sound, I could be stuck with something I don't like as much.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #117 of 398
Listen to it first without the mod, but in my opinion the modded Q's are a much better headphone. The stock Q is fairly bright, the modded Q is still a little bit bright but much much closer to neutral, with a little bit of recessed sub bass. I personally love the modded sound signature, it's near perfect. The HD700 is still much darker than the modded Q.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #118 of 398
So by and large I guess I’m one of those “ppl” who have found the mod further improved rather than depreciate the K700 series signature, and yes it's more like adding a sub than increasing mid-bass.:wink:

x2. The mod added a new layer at bottom end. Its like added blacks in a high key image. It provides greater sensedof contrast between e highs n e lows while keeping e mids.never done any AB comparison but have been longing to use e akg more since e mod. Increased usuage I believe is e best testimony that the music is getting more enjoyable. Nevermind e tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back