Reversible AKG K701 bass mod
Jan 20, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #91 of 398
I have Q701's as my main 'phones, and i was thinking of trying this mod, but I was wondering if anybody has tried to put the adhesive disc back on if they don't like the results.  (In other words, just how truly reversible is the mod ?)

Thanks in advance for your help !

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #92 of 398
Make sure it's wool, synthetics are completely different if your goal is for damping, absorption and vibration.

That seems like good advice.  All I have now is synthetic felt (pretty sure, based on its construction), so I gave that a whirl.  It wasn't all bad, as my goal is to reduce the often piercing mids/upper mids in a lot of rock.  I did a quick A/B between the stock foam and the felt; about the same thickness, though the density is quite different, of course.  I would not normally listen to that song on the Q701s.  The piercing nature of those frequencies is just over the edge for me, and the felt dealt with them nicely, but I'm pretty sure something was lacking.  I was expecting worse, actually.

So, given my goal, is the wool felt something to pursue?  I have a lot of different foams, so I might try those, just for schiits and grins 
biggrin.gif
  My initial test gives me some hope, but I don't want to alter the Q's signature too much.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #93 of 398
  I have Q701's as my main 'phones, and i was thinking of trying this mod, but I was wondering if anybody has tried to put the adhesive disc back on if they don't like the results.  (In other words, just how truly reversible is the mod ?)

Thanks in advance for your help !

I was successful using simple tape; blue painters tape, in fact.  It seems a little tougher than regular transparent tape, which might tear, depending on how you're applying it in that tight space.  I didn't bother trying to reuse the original stickies, though I did save them.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #94 of 398

That seems like good advice.  All I have now is synthetic felt .............................

So, given my goal, is the wool felt something to pursue?  I have a lot of different foams, so I might try those, just for schiits and grins 
biggrin.gif
  My initial test gives me some hope, but I don't want to alter the Q's signature too much.

Years ago I did extensive testing with speakers in the 80's and then later with headphones using synthetic and wool felt and found that the organic nature of wool was much better as it was more absorptive, synthetics having a tendency to being more reflective.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #95 of 398
Years ago I did extensive testing with speakers in the 80's and then later with headphones using synthetic and wool felt and found that the organic nature of wool was much better as it was more absorptive, synthetics having a tendency to being more reflective.

Agreed. To add, wool's absorptive properties are relatively linear across the (applicable) spectrum.

Are the rugs in my listening room wool? You bet! :D

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #96 of 398
I think I'll do some testing when I get home with the stock foam ring. The open-port 702 is a bit too bassy for my tastes. Similar to a subwoofer with the gain set too high. Removing the ring might open up the midrange and treble slightly. I'm thinking it might not be enough though.

The ring also serves another purpose (whether or not it was intentional), and that's helping to dissipate/absorb some of the reflection of sound waves coming off the ear. Though this could be achieved with a different method similar to the HD800 mod people are doing: 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

I'll experiment with this as well. I'll cover any flat surfaces and possibly even the mesh guard with thin pieces of foam/felt. This could also help the stock, closed port 702 by taking some of the edge off the midrange/treble.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #97 of 398

That seems like good advice.  All I have now is synthetic felt (pretty sure, based on its construction), so I gave that a whirl.  It wasn't all bad, as my goal is to reduce the often piercing mids/upper mids in a lot of rock.  I did a quick A/B between the stock foam and the felt; about the same thickness, though the density is quite different, of course.  I would not normally listen to that song on the Q701s.  The piercing nature of those frequencies is just over the edge for me, and the felt dealt with them nicely, but I'm pretty sure something was lacking.  I was expecting worse, actually.

biggrin.gif

While my HD700s are off to Sennheiser I have a bit spare time and pulled out my old AKG 240DFs, obviously another era but curiously thought I’d try the wool felt rings I made for them on the K701s. Well they do change the character of the K701s, but not for the better IMO, definitely warms up the sound, maybe too much and collapses the sound stage, I’ll stick with just bass port mod for now.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #98 of 398
  While my HD700s are off to Sennheiser I have a bit spare time and pulled out my old AKG 240DFs, obviously another era but curiously thought I’d try the wool felt rings I made for them on the K701s. Well they do change the character of the K701s, but not for the better IMO, definitely warms up the sound, maybe too much and collapses the sound stage, I’ll stick with just bass port mod for now.

I've been going back and forth with a few different pairs of rings I made.  I've got three foam (stock, slightly thicker and denser than stock, but only slightly, and a thicker green foam), and two synthetic felt, one pair with holes punched using a nail (going around the ring at three levels; they're not wide open, given that it's felt).  I've used them individually and combined them (except the green foam; it's too thick to combine with the others).  While certain pairs or combos are making it easier to listen to rock with ringing guitars, I'm pretty sure the soundstage is what's being compromised to varying degrees.  Probably also some detail retrieval.  Maybe because of that, some are making me think the bass has a bit more presence.

Need to rest my ears for a while, then go back to the stock foam to reset the default signature (in my brain), and then swap again.  Kudos to AKG for making this a very simple process.  I'll certainly save the rings so I can swap them if one proves too bright or too muted, depending on the music, and possibly the tubes in the Lyr.

And thank you, Rob, for opening up another avenue for modding.  In retrospect it seems like an obvious one, but I'm not sure it would have occurred to me to try.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #99 of 398
Fans of Steve Tibbetts may want to pull out his “ Northern Song” album, quiet an aural delight and takes full advantage of the K701s sound staging abilities, super wide with great layering but the mod puts the icing on the cake with his accompanying foot stomping and added body to the bass and percussion which was previously unfelt prior to the port mod.
What’s great is the whole things come across without sounding artificial even with the exaggerated depth and width, one of those serendipitous moments that just work!

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #100 of 398
It's funny, I came back to head-fi to find a picture I posted of my 701s to put on ebay.  Saw this thread and decided... what the hell.

What an easy mod.  Once you spin off the grill you don't even need to unscrew anything.  With a little explorer tool (like the dentist) and a pair of lockable tweezers it was super easy to lift up and pull off the sticker without even having to take the plastic off.  I finished off my modding with a little wool bollus under the mesh.  You can get some from any high end bedding store that does organic down and wool pillow thing.  

The added bass was nice, but with the wool it really changed the sound quite a bit.  I used to love the flat dry airy sound, but recently have gotten away from it, to the point of wanting to sell my 701s.  This was the perfect mod.  Stage came in quite a bit, but there was plenty of stage to spare, but the added bass really makes the cans sound much warmer and full.

Kinda funny how tastes change too.  I would have thought running bass modded 701s on a tube amp a sin before.  Thanks for this thread guys!

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #101 of 398
It's funny, I came back to head-fi to find a picture I posted of my 701s to put on ebay.  Saw this thread and decided... what the hell.

What an easy mod.  Once you spin off the grill you don't even need to unscrew anything.  With a little explorer tool (like the dentist) and a pair of lockable tweezers it was super easy to lift up and pull off the sticker without even having to take the plastic off.  I finished off my modding with a little wool bollus under the mesh.  You can get some from any high end bedding store that does organic down and wool pillow thing.  

The added bass was nice, but with the wool it really changed the sound quite a bit.  I used to love the flat dry airy sound, but recently have gotten away from it, to the point of wanting to sell my 701s.  This was the perfect mod.  Stage came in quite a bit, but there was plenty of stage to spare, but the added bass really makes the cans sound much warmer and full.

Kinda funny how tastes change too.  I would have thought running bass modded 701s on a tube amp a sin before.  Thanks for this thread guys!

my 702 has been lying on e headphone stand for months after I got he 5.0 as e bass was too thin most genres...chance upon this thread n modded e 702...only regret is didn't take some pics on untwisting e grill n pushing e plastic cup off e headband poles..quite scary to do it thinking that they will break but after doing e right channel. Left channel was was a breeze.

Listened to it whole night after e mod...A whole lot of difference w e added bass...still goes as low but now w a more appropriate quality...yet not boomy or muddy at all! Thanks for recommending this great n simple mod!

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #102 of 398
Just did the bass mod. The bass sounds much more natural and punchy now. The sibilance from voices is still there, but now it flows into the music rather than being harsh on the ears. I have to say this was worth it in every way. It still sounds very neutral to me. Loving it. 
k701smile.gif

I put the waxed adhesive bandaids (hehe) on some wax paper if for some strange reason I change my mind about the mod. (highly doubt it)

EDIT: Beyonce's 'Haunted' has haunting bass now. Listening from the DVD 24bit files. :rockon:

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #104 of 398
When you say image layering you are talking about soundstage depth correct? I agree. I think the added bass helps create the feeling of extra depth. Whether that by psychoacoustic or measurable, it is welcome.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #105 of 398
  When you say image layering you are talking about soundstage depth correct? I agree. I think the added bass helps create the feeling of extra depth. Whether that by psychoacoustic or measurable, it is welcome.

More or less, the K701s always had depth but more than ever I can distinctly hear the space between the foreground and backround and everything in between. I've always noticed this when augmenting speakers with a sub but it's nice to see it also worked with the bass port mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back