Reverse polarity in IEMs
Dec 11, 2010 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Liver

500+ Head-Fier
I replaced the cable on my UE Triple.Fi 10's with a Westone cable.  A dramatic improvement in comfort, but also more expensive.

Now, the Westone cables are not labeled as the UE cables (nor do I have experience with the Westone cables).  How can I conclusively tell if I got the polarity correct?

I assume the following

1.  Both correct, no issues.
2.  Both incorrect, no issues.
3.  One correct and one incorrect, its not gonna sound as good.

I don't even know what I am listening for.  If it sounds not right, I'll probably blame my ears, or the recording.  I will not know that the polarity is off.

Suggestions?

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 7
I think you're correct on 1 and 2. On #3, with speakers in free air, reverse polarity between speakers will cause frequencies (bass mostly) to cancel themselves out. Assuming IEMs will not resonate in open air inside your head things are more complicated. Its gonna depend on how the mind processes out of phase signals from the ears. I imagine this could be perceived as a change in the soundstage or perceived locatiom of sound sources (individual instruments).
I did the same mod as you quite a while ago and don't remember any confusion in the hookup. Take another look at the cables for some indication of polarity. You could also figure it out with a multimeter's continuity tester. Good luck.

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 7
 My computer headphone jack is messed up, and the only way I can get both buds to work is if the polarity ends up being different. I don't notice it while in my ears. I do notice it, however, when I hold them next to each other away from my face. However, you may want to just test with a multimeter, as scrane suggested.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks. I suppose it's related to the discussion... 
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I think you're correct on 1 and 2. On #3, with speakers in free air, reverse polarity between speakers will cause frequencies (bass mostly) to cancel themselves out. Assuming IEMs will not resonate in open air inside your head things are more complicated. Its gonna depend on how the mind processes out of phase signals from the ears. I imagine this could be perceived as a change in the soundstage or perceived locatiom of sound sources (individual instruments).
I did the same mod as you quite a while ago and don't remember any confusion in the hookup. Take another look at the cables for some indication of polarity. You could also figure it out with a multimeter's continuity tester. Good luck.

I pulled out the multi meter today and I had everything hooked up correctly, polarity and right / left. 

Its the right place to start in an evaluation of headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back