Reverse modded HD414 pads for Grado???
Jul 7, 2008 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

green_avanti

Head-Fier
Hi

I keep on finding reference to Senn HD414 yellow pads 'reverse modded' for Grado's/Allesandro's. What are these and how do you make/mod them?

Does someone have info, a pic, or a link please.

Kind regards

g_a

Jul 7, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Take a pair of Sennheiser HD414 pads (available fairly cheap from Sennheiser USA), cut 25-cent-sized holes in the middle and put them on the Grados. Your mod is done
smily_headphones1.gif
Sounds nice and super-comfy.

Jul 7, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 9
Remember, they should be put in reverse orientation (the side that is facing your ear should face out instead).

The wonder of online video

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember, they should be put in reverse orientation (the side that is facing your ear should face out instead).

The wonder of online video

Brilliant!, thanks for the vid that shows it perfectly. Now I just need to figure out how big a US 25 cent coin is
wink.gif

Thanks..

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 9
Which is about the same size as the coin of AU$1.00 or AU$0.10 (or EUR$1).

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 9
can i just double check before i start chopping the pads up - if you're reversing the HD414s you need to cut a hole the size of a quarter (approx 24mm) in the other side? For a pair of MS-1s

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 9
Yes. The beauty of it is that, even if you cut an irregular-shaped hole, it will not be apparent after you stretch it over the inside part of the headphone. A bit smaller or bigger than a quarter doesn't really matter; you'll still have some stretching to do. (The use of a quarter was probably arbitrary, and just represents a convenient item to trace around with an X-acto knife that can't itself be cut into.)

Also: Every Grado/Alessandro has the exact same size inner rim. The reverse quarter mod works on every Grado, albeit with varying sonic results based on the can in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back