Revamping my audio gear. Let's chat to a newbie.
Nov 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

agalloch

New Head-Fier
Current Configuration

PC - HT Omega Striker 7.1, HD555s
Portable - Cowon S9, super.fi 5 pro's

Unfortunately, I lost my super.fi 5 pro's.

Because I am selling a lot of personal things, I will have money to put towards audio equipment. I plan on selling the HD555s because I will purchase Westone W4's for use at the PC and portably. Now, I don't know about the rest. I hear things about:

1. Tube Magic D1
  2. Xonar Essence STX

I have no idea which of those to use, or how even to set it up. For optimal results, should I use D1 with onboard? I literally have no idea how to setup from Computer --> W4s optimally.

Is a D1 an amp as well? Is it equivalent to a soundcard? Can I use for a TV as well down the line (TV --> Tube --> Spakers) to power speakers?

Then I was also just looking at a Striker 7.1 --> E11 (portable and PC) --> Westone W4s.

What do you recommend

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 4
I've owned the W4 for half a year and tried them with some dac/amps, from the really cheap to really expensive one. And the only amp that made the W4 sound better than directly plug into my computer is the RSA Intruder, which is $700. I don't recommend it at all. Just get the W4 and try them with your computer/DAP to see if you like them enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back