Returning to Windows...maybe?
Dec 16, 2009 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Zaubertuba

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I'm back. That didn't take long.
rolleyes.gif

I apologize for the lengthy post, and I know there's a lot of threads like this already around , but my situation is rather complex and I'm suffering from "can't see the forest for the trees" syndrome.

Just to recap, I'm the one who posted the "finally fed up with Windows" rant nearly four months ago. Reinstalling XP was giving me fits, we were looking at reducing our family computer count from 2 to 1, and I was ready to pack it up and go back entirely to Linux.

Then I downloaded the Windows 7 RC. It blew me away. It still does, in some respects, but more on that later....

I'm reconfiguring our home computer setup, with the following parameters:

Office: We've decided we still need to retain the office, with it's own computer. One of the objectives is to reduce the clutter in the Living Room. Another is to make it possible for the wife or I to work when the kids are otherwise occupied on the HTPC (no, we don't babysit our kids with TV--we limit their TV time pretty strictly, actually).

1.) The office machine needs to run WordPerfect (this is non-negotiable--if the Wife ain't happy, nobody's happy
wink.gif
).

2.) I'm planning on using the office machine for critical music listening (i.e. my headphone setup) as well. Helps get more clutter out of the living room, protects my more expensive hardware, and is a just plain great excuse to turn the office into more of a "library/den" arrangement
biggrin.gif

3.) Music arranging could be on either machine--either Finale or Rosegarden, depending on the platform. I've gotten to the point where I'm willing to play around with extracting parts to Lilypond, just because the output looks so awesome.

4.) Printer will be on this machine.

Living Room HTPC:

5.) The primary uses will be recorded kids shows for the boys, and my own selection of TV recordings/movies, and streamed shows.

6.) Occasional browsing and listening to the stereo (much of this is as background, not critical listening).

7.) At this point, Windows 7 seems to be the OS of choice for the HTPC. It's the most seamless by far, it's TV guide and DVR functions are well-implemented, and, most importantly, it actually has the most WAF of anything we've tried (see #1, above). My wife figured out how to do scheduled recording all by herself on it.

I don't really want to pay for *two* installations of Windows 7, so was thinking of trying out Linux Mint for the Office/Critical Listening machine. I was able to get my 1212m working in Ubuntu so I figured Mint shouldn't be a problem. There are a couple big caveats, though:

I never got WordPerfect to print through Wine in Ubuntu, so that could be a deal-breaker.

I'd like to be able to share the music library with the HTPC--unfortunately the first time I networked a Windows machine to a Linux box I remember it being a huge headache to implement. At the start of this experiment I never got Windows 7 to talk with my linux box when I still had it running.
frown.gif

I feel like I've been chasing my tail figuring out a clear solution. Should I bite the bullet and pay for two Windows 7 installations (yes I want to do this all legally)? Are there other options/possibilities I'm writing off too quickly?

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 22
If you're willing to run new hardware, you can use WordPerfect in Classic mode under OS X. I heard that they're not going to port WP to native OS X, so you'd have to run in Classic. You can find older G5 towers pretty cheap these days (got my Dad one for $125), so the hardware requirement wouldn't be that expensive.

Instead of a HTPC, you could grab an Apple TV. I got one for Mom'n'Dad and they love it.

This would require a bit of a change and new hardware but it is an option.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 22
Last time that I checked, Microsoft was offering a Windows 7 "Family Pack" which is basically 3 licenses for ~$150. I know that you don't need all 3 but I believe that still comes out significantly cheaper than buying two separately.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're willing to run new hardware, you can use WordPerfect in Classic mode under OS X. I heard that they're not going to port WP to native OS X, so you'd have to run in Classic. You can find older G5 towers pretty cheap these days (got my Dad one for $125), so the hardware requirement wouldn't be that expensive.

Instead of a HTPC, you could grab an Apple TV. I got one for Mom'n'Dad and they love it.

This would require a bit of a change and new hardware but it is an option.

Now, that's an "outside the box" solution. The G5 option looks particularly appealing.

Apple TV looks pretty inexpensive, actually, but I prefer to get OTA ATSC. Doesn't look like that's really lines up with how Apple's targeting that cute little box.
rolleyes.gif

Anybody running a Mac desktop for their HTPC with an ATSC tuner? I could see actually getting two G5's (There's a lot on eBay), if there's a decent DVR frontend.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 22
Why use mint? Isn't it the same as ubuntu but with more crap pre-installed? It just must be possible to share folder from a linux computer to a windows computer, I've done it the other way round and used a nas with linux. Probably you who haven't set up the network/samba properly. In my opinion both Vista and win7 are kickass operating systemes, but I don't like XP at all.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postal_Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget the student offer. $30 for anyone with a .edu email address. Even if you are not a student certainly you know someone who is
smily_headphones1.gif

That (and the family pack) looked awesome! Unfortunately I need an OEM or full version. I can no longer install XP on my current hardware.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why use mint? Isn't it the same as ubuntu but with more crap pre-installed? It just must be possible to share folder from a linux computer to a windows computer, I've done it the other way round and used a nas with linux. Probably you who haven't set up the network/samba properly. In my opinion both Vista and win7 are kickass operating systemes, but I don't like XP at all.

It supposedly has a cleaner interface (or perhaps more windows-centric, which is important for WAF), and has more hardware support--something with my Ubuntu install was simply not working with WP-->Wine printing, which is critical.

Of course, my Ubuntu install was actually "Mythbuntu," which I hear has some issues in and of itself.

EDIT: Sorry for all the double-posts. Busy thread!
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

And Ubuntu is Debian with more crap installed. Nothing beats Gentoo.

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Ubuntu is Debian with more crap installed. Nothing beats Gentoo.

Think it depends on what version you install. There are both minimal installs of ubuntu and debian with <10mb isos. Think the biggest difference is what packages there are in the package manager. I don't like either of them
regular_smile .gif

And how the interface looks is just BS, as it is just to install the same components on both systems and it will look the same. install gentoo and compile a kernel with support for everything you need.

Or just stay with windows as it seems to work the best in your case.

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaubertuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That (and the family pack) looked awesome! Unfortunately I need an OEM or full version. I can no longer install XP on my current hardware.
rolleyes.gif

And why can´t you do that? And why do you want to do it if you are blown away by win7?

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 22
The Family Pack is 3 FULL installs of Home Premium.. no other OS required. I installed it clean, no prompts for previous keys

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

And why can´t you do that? And why do you want to do it if you are blown away by win7?

I for some reason had serious hardware issues this last time around. Worse than what I had before. My assumption is I would need to install it in order to install an upgrade version of W7. Actually, the point is moot because now I see that you have to do a clean install when upgrading from XP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Family Pack is 3 FULL installs of Home Premium.. no other OS required. I installed it clean, no prompts for previous keys

Where did you get it? Everything I've found says "upgrade" on the box and includes specific instructions that it can only upgrade XP or Vista. Then there's this:

Questions on Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack License

confused_face(1).gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Why use mint? Isn't it the same as ubuntu but with more crap pre-installed? It just must be possible to share folder from a linux computer to a windows computer....

Of course it's possible. You just use samba. Depending on the distro, that kind of stuff virtually sets itself up these days.

Win -> lin is even easier. You just share the folders on windows and linux should be able to see them. If it can't, you probably have a firewall or windoze netwerking issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back