Returning to Windows...maybe?
Dec 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

The Family Pack is 3 FULL installs of Home Premium.. no other OS required. I installed it clean, no prompts for previous keys

No, the Family Pack was for 3 Upgrades. The Family Pack promotion isn't as much of an option, however, as it was a limited time deal, supplies have run out most everywhere, and Microsoft has given no public indication last I checked that they're planning on renewing the promotion.

The the OP: I agree with most of your points. I've used Myth, I've used Apple TV, and I've used Win7 Media Center, and Win7 was to me far and about the easiest to learn and use, especially for people who had never used any of them before. I'd stick with the plan you lay out in your post.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #17 of 22
The OS wars are largely a figment of fanboys and media pundits. In the real world, every OS is just a tool, and you use whatever tool meets your needs.

I use linux extensively but windows is an unavoidable tool. I don't love it and i don't hate it - it just has it's uses.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the Family Pack was for 3 Upgrades. The Family Pack promotion isn't as much of an option, however, as it was a limited time deal, supplies have run out most everywhere, and Microsoft has given no public indication last I checked that they're planning on renewing the promotion.

The the OP: I agree with most of your points. I've used Myth, I've used Apple TV, and I've used Win7 Media Center, and Win7 was to me far and about the easiest to learn and use, especially for people who had never used any of them before. I'd stick with the plan you lay out in your post.

Weird.. I did a custom install.. formatted my backed up hard drive, and installed to a clean hard drive.. at no point was i asked to provide any evidence this pc had windows xp or vista on it previously. .. a moot point anyway.. if the OP had XP he's good to go any which way, right?

I suppose I meant that Win7 could be installed from the upgrade disc. Didnt mean to imply he should be using it inappropriately. (for the record, I've paid for my win 95, XP, Vista and Win 7 licenses)

And Yes.. Win 7 smokes XP for ease of use

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird.. I did a custom install.. formatted my backed up hard drive, and installed to a clean hard drive.. at no point was i asked to provide any evidence this pc had windows xp or vista on it previously. .. a moot point anyway.. if the OP had XP he's good to go any which way, right?....

Same here, if you have a product key you can do a FULL install, not just the "upgrade". People who are paying for the full retail product are getting ripped off. I bought the student $30 deal and you get a product key with that and you can do a custom install.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks - Sometimes it's helpful to get some perspective.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here, if you have a product key you can do a FULL install, not just the "upgrade". People who are paying for the full retail product are getting ripped off. I bought the student $30 deal and you get a product key with that and you can do a custom install.

I just found out our bookstore has Win 7 on order--they just don't know what the pricing is going to be yet. Usually staff and students can get a pretty good deal. Here's hoping....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OS wars are largely a figment of fanboys and media pundits...

....and marketing campaigns. Truly, I probably could point out things I *like* about all the various OS's I've tried, and you're absolutely right, each OS does certain things as a "tool" towards an end very well.

My dilemna is I need a pretty big toolbox for all the different things I'm trying to do.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thus spake Zaubertuba...

Couldn't resist, could you?
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaubertuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That (and the family pack) looked awesome! Unfortunately I need an OEM or full version. I can no longer install XP on my current hardware.
rolleyes.gif

Just so you know, the student version can do full installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back