Returned New Westone 4's - Trying Klipsch X10i's
May 3, 2012 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
I'm starting to think something is wrong with me. After about 2 weeks, I returned a new pair of Westone 4's. They did everything well, from comfort to SQ. It's just that they didn't wow the heck out of me, and for about $500, I wanted them to. The way I described it in another post was that they were like a beautiful woman who does everything right, the kind that you should marry, and would probably make you happy for the rest of your life. But there's just no chemistry, no excitement. So I returned them. I really wanted to love them.

As I write this, I am listening to some Wayne Shorter (Speak No Evil) on a new pair of Klipsch X10i's. They are very small and lightweight, very comfortable, and I like the sound. (I did remove the silicon tips and put on Comply's)  The only concern I have is that they seem to be a little flimsy. Let's see if I even keep them that long. I may. I may not. If I don't, I'm going to try the Senn IE8's, which, because they are discontinued are pretty cheap. Or I may try the Monster Miles Davis Tributes.

I'm looking for IEM's that sound like the combo in my sig - TTVJ Slim and Senn HD650's. Warm and wonderful. Colored even. I like that. Suggestions?

May 3, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 51
Quote:
I'm starting to think something is wrong with me. After about 2 weeks, I returned a new pair of Westone 4's. They did everything well, from comfort to SQ. It's just that they didn't wow the heck out of me, and for about $500, I wanted them to. The way I described it in another post was that they were like a beautiful woman who does everything right, the kind that you should marry, and would probably make you happy for the rest of your life. But there's just no chemistry, no excitement. So I returned them. I really wanted to love them.

As I write this, I am listening to some Wayne Shorter (Speak No Evil) on a new pair of Klipsch X10i's. They are very small and lightweight, very comfortable, and I like the sound. (I did remove the silicon tips and put on Comply's)  The only concern I have is that they seem to be a little flimsy. Let's see if I even keep them that long. I may. I may not. If I don't, I'm going to try the Senn IE8's, which, because they are discontinued are pretty cheap. Or I may try the Monster Miles Davis Tributes.

I'm looking for IEM's that sound like the combo in my sig - TTVJ Slim and Senn HD650's. Warm and wonderful. Colored even. I like that. Suggestions?

or the westone 3/UM3X? I am not a big fan of the X10. It is just an overpriced single driver IEM. 

May 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 51
Quote:
or the westone 3/UM3X? I am not a big fan of the X10. It is just an overpriced single driver IEM. 

I'm trying to not get hung on the tech specs. My Ety ER4P's were singles and they were the most detailed I ever heard. Just not that comfy for me. These Klipsch X10's do kind of disappear in my ears though. And at $197 on Amazon today, they aren't near what they used to be. (and I am talking about the more expensive X10i's).

May 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 51
I happen to love the X10s. I think they have some things over my SE535s. They're more fun and they hit harder. Drums are fantastic with them. Yeah, the bass is not any where up to the 535s, but they are very enjoyable.
You said they seemed flimsy. I suppose so. They are very small and very lightweight and VERY comfortable. I think that's what they're going for.
I don't care how many armatures it has, that doesn't matter, it's what they sound like to you in the end. It sounds like you're working on that. You may like them in the end, you may not, but at least you're trying to find the right one for you. That's all that counts.

May 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 51
Quote:
I happen to love the X10s. I think they have some things over my SE535s. They're more fun and they hit harder. Drums are fantastic with them. Yeah, the bass is not any where up to the 535s, but they are very enjoyable.
You said they seemed flimsy. I suppose so. They are very small and very lightweight and VERY comfortable. I think that's what they're going for.
I don't care how many armatures it has, that doesn't matter, it's what they sound like to you in the end. It sounds like you're working on that. You may like them in the end, you may not, but at least you're trying to find the right one for you. That's all that counts.

Yeah - sound is all that matters. To me, it's about how I experience the music. My "portable" rig (see sig) is not *really* portable, and I'd never take it on the train commute. The X10's are certainly easy to carry, and I'm liking the sound so far.

May 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 51
The x10 have a fun, more colourful sound sig compared to the W4's more balanced sound. Still, in technical ability the W4's win out.. and by that I mean attack, speed and detail. The Sennheiser ie8's are the kings of bass IMO for universals, so if you love bass they'll wow you. The soundstage is also absolutely massive.

May 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:
The x10 have a fun, more colourful sound sig compared to the W4's more balanced sound. Still, in technical ability the W4's win out.. and by that I mean attack, speed and detail. The Sennheiser ie8's are the kings of bass IMO for universals, so if you love bass they'll wow you. The soundstage is also absolutely massive.

I like color (colour for my UK friends!) and warmth. I am still considering IE8's, but so far, I'm digging these X10's. Listening to Bags Meets Wes as I type. (Milt Jackson and Wes montgomery)  I doubt that many other IEM's could be this comfy.
L3000.gif

May 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 51
Is isolation important to you?  If so the ie8's main achilles heel is apparantly isolation (certainly the ie7 has less isolation than the other iems I have).

May 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:
Is isolation important to you?  If so the ie8's main achilles heel is apparantly isolation (certainly the ie7 has less isolation than the other iems I have).

Definitely important! The train and those annoying announcement at every stop grate on my nerves after a long day!

May 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:
"Warm and lush", right?

(again)  Just get the IE8 and be done with it.

Cheers.

I think I may end up with them even if I keep the X10's. I mean, it's not like I can only have have one pair. :)  As it is, I have others, like Yuin PK1's which are great, but definitely *not* for the train.

May 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 51
Second the IE8/80.  IE7 if you don't like as much bass or want something more neutral.

Another path is to try the SM3-definitely a darker sound, but somewhat warm and clean.  But I think you would be happier with dynamics.  Probably.

May 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:
Second the IE8/80.  IE7 if you don't like as much bass or want something more neutral.

Another path is to try the SM3-definitely a darker sound, but somewhat warm and clean.  But I think you would be happier with dynamics.  Probably.

I must say - I do like the fit and comfort of the X10's, and and wondering about the way you wear IE8's. Do you *have* to wear them with the cable around the ear? If you don't, are the likely to fall out?

May 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 51
May 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

I must say - I do like the fit and comfort of the X10's, and and wondering about the way you wear IE8's. Do you *have* to wear them with the cable around the ear? If you don't, are the likely to fall out?

The IE8/80 can be worn down the ear as well. They won't fall out too. But I guess you can also look at the FX700, SE535, TF10 and W3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back