Return of the Radio Shack Fusion audio cable?
Jun 1, 2005 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
To be honest, I am not exactly sure.

I was browsing at a Radio Shack a couple of days ago and noticed a rather nice looking RCA jack on a prepackaged audio cable. The packaging just said "Gold Series stereo audio cable" and retails for $12.99. I picked up the package and looked at it....the cable has "signal direction flow" printed on the jacket and yes, looks like some kind of EMI-reducing choke is molded onto the cable. Sure looks like the Fusion cable Radio Shack quickly introduced and then discontinued. However, I didn't pick up this "new" cable.

Today, I see it again at another Radio Shack. I purchased it and will see if this is the Fusion cable that was praised here. Can owners of this cable clue me in as to what to look for to confirm this "new" cable's identity?

Edit: The catalog number of the cable I purchased is 15-2420, but it doesn't resemble anything like the 15-2420 at Radio Shack's website.

Jun 1, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 76
I never heard of these so-called "Fusion" cables, but judging from the fact that a couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of these which were described as Fusion cables here, I'm going to assume that you're right. So now I'm off to see if I can dig up some more infos on these things...

Jun 1, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Those are the exact cable I purchased. Have you done a search at this forum using "Fusion"?

I remember these originally retailed for $25.00.

That's how I found that thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 76
So, is this cable for sale now as a new product? Or are they selling it cheap because is going to be discontinued?

Jun 2, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by shimage
I never heard of these so-called "Fusion" cables, but judging from the fact that a couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of these which were described as Fusion cables here, I'm going to assume that you're right. So now I'm off to see if I can dig up some more infos on these things...

Those pictured cables are fusions - I bought a pair a long time ago before they replaced the line with monster cables. Unfortunately one of the cables was defective (and I gave up on them) so I never got a good listen.

Jun 2, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
So, is this cable for sale now as a new product? Or are they selling it cheap because is going to be discontinued?

I guess what used to be the Fusion audio cable is now sold as the Gold Series audio cable.

Jun 8, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 76
I picked up a couple versions today. (3-foot dual as above, and 6-foot triple)

In fact the local RS here had two versions of same model number. (both boxes labeled part number 15-1508, both same lengths, but different RCA plugs and cable different material) The clerk said the nicer one was the newer model.

So, maybe the nicer cable is now the replacement for the current gold series? No change in labelling, only the blister pack is bigger to accomodate the larger cable diameter.

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 76
wow, RS selling good cables? I hope they start selling mini-RCAs and digital coax of that quality too, I need a couple
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 76
I just got a pair to put in my turn table. Luckily I didn't have to hack anything up, since there were internal rca jacks. They definately sound better than the crap cables on there, and are really really well constructed.

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #15 of 76
I thought it was too good to be true or that it was a limited deployment but it's true! The Fusions are back in the guise of the famed Gold Series. The cable is indeed identical to the classic Fusions in appearance and sonics. The smallest length they are offered is 6 feet; the 3 foot version is a standard "gold" cable and not the Fusion-in-disguise. Perhaps Radio Shack had a surplus of the Fusions after Monster Cable forced their removal for the introduction of the Monster series at Radio Shack. $15 for the best readily-available retail interconnect is a STEAL!
smily_headphones1.gif
Some photographic evidence:

IMG_0832.jpg
IMG_0831.jpg
IMG_0833.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back