What about these ones:
Wharfedale DD1
Prinzdound 808vs
Pioneer SE205, SE305, SE405, SE505
Lenco K106
Sansui SS20, SS35, SS40, SS60, SS80

Those aren't retro, they're what retro should look like
tongue.gif
I doubt if many, if any, of those sound too good.

I saw someone wearing the Panasonics today, they have the retro look. I haven't seen anything about the sound.

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #18 of 29
Yea I would go with the Grado SR-60 or Panasonic HTX7. they are both inexpensive, retro and sound good. the sr-60 are open, the htx7 are closed. if you crave deep, powerful bass, go with the panasonic. I really like both sounds myself though.

grado:
Grado_sr60_300x250_s.gif
panasonic:
pansonic_retro.jpg

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For rock music, the Grados win.
smily_headphones1.gif

i don't know... have you heard the htx7's? if you haven't yet, you may be surprised!

and yea, they are very very comfortable as long as you don't have huge ears.

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #22 of 29
Forget retro styled, get true retro. I've got a pair of late 70s Koss PRO 4AAAs that were passed down to me. They still sound nice, but they'll sound better once I get some replacement earpads from Koss (they still make 'em!). I've heard these were the best cans on the market in the late 70s, and 'sides, I get a kick out of listening to music made before I was born on headphones made before I was born.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know... have you heard the htx7's? if you haven't yet, you may be surprised!

I've heard them. They're great-sounding and well-built for the price. The Grados still win, no contest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget retro styled, get true retro.

That can be a great solution, but it requires some time online. The dangers are that

1. most of the coolest-looking vintage headphones have crap paper-cone drivers and sound dreadful. They're also heavy and uncomfortable. 4 or 8 Ohm ratings are the telltale here, avoid them like the plague they are;
2. most of the good-sounding vintage options can't be satisfactorily driven without a dedicated amp;
3. parts and repair are often a problem. Try finding earpads for a B&O U70;
4. the few vintage options for which none of these things is a problem are almost all well-known around here, and increasingly command prices just as high as new headphones. Witness the planar inflation of the last year or so, or the ridiculous prices demanded for a K340 or Sextett.

However, with some time reading the boards and dedication beyond "I think retro headphones look cool," good deals are always still findable, and you can still build a fantastic rig for little money if you know what you're doing. But unless the reader plans on making this a hobby, I refer him to the Grado and Panasonic pics above. Good choices, easy to find, easy to drive.

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard them. They're great-sounding and well-built for the price. The Grados still win, no contest.

That can be a great solution, but it requires some time online. The dangers are that

1. most of the coolest-looking vintage headphones have crap paper-cone drivers and sound dreadful. They're also heavy and uncomfortable. 4 or 8 Ohm ratings are the telltale here, avoid them like the plague they are;
2. most of the good-sounding vintage options can't be satisfactorily driven without a dedicated amp;
3. parts and repair are often a problem. Try finding earpads for a B&O U70;
4. the few vintage options for which none of these things is a problem are almost all well-known around here, and increasingly command prices just as high as new headphones. Witness the planar inflation of the last year or so, or the ridiculous prices demanded for a K340 or Sextett.

However, with some time reading the boards and dedication beyond "I think retro headphones look cool," good deals are always still findable, and you can still build a fantastic rig for little money if you know what you're doing. But unless the reader plans on making this a hobby, I refer him to the Grado and Panasonic pics above. Good choices, easy to find, easy to drive.

Good point. I've noticed that the 4AAAs struggle quite a bit when used with an ipod or laptop, so that is indeed a problem. I say in this case, going Grado might be a great idea.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koss Pro/4 AAA Plus is looking cooler than Pro/4 AAA. Very nice black colour.

Is the plus a newer variant, or were they made around the same time? The 4AAAs I have are sort of a beige-y olive and look like the sort of thing an artillery crew would wear.
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koss Pro/4 AAA Plus is a newer version about 1977-82. Yes, their construction is very heavy, but Pro/4 AA is much worse
eek.gif

Yeah, I've seen the four-double-A's. They look kinda like the type of thing you'd want on your ears while operating a jackhammer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back