Retro Headphones?
Mar 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Maxg

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a set of good quality (and good looking
wink.gif
) retro style headphones - what can people recommend?

Something a little bit different that you don't see everyday...

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 29
Get some Grados. They will be noticed, and they're terrific right out of an iPod; you don't need an amp.

All the Grados have their strengths, but I highly recommend the SR-60. You can get them for around $65 and they sound terrific. They are something of a gateway drug, however. Most people who take to them end up buying more expensive Grados in the future.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get some Grados. They will be noticed, and they're terrific right out of an iPod; you don't need an amp.

All the Grados have their strengths, but I highly recommend the SR-60. You can get them for around $65 and they sound terrific. They are something of a gateway drug, however. Most people who take to them end up buying more expensive Grados in the future.

I got the SR-60s about 2 mo. later I got the 325i. Beware!

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 29
u didn't give us too much info on budget and other characteristics. I guess "retro" is a matter of taste and your own understanding of the term also. The AKG line looks "retro" in my view, in a 60's Sci-Fi movie kind of way, kind of what people thought back then the future would look like in technology. Think large machines with many little colored lights, going "beep" and "buzz" from time to time...

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 29
Stax SR-202.
Looks very close (95%+) to the Stax SR-Lambda, which were introduced in 1979...
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u didn't give us too much info on budget and other characteristics. I guess "retro" is a matter of taste and your own understanding of the term also. The AKG line looks "retro" in my view, in a 60's Sci-Fi movie kind of way, kind of what people thought back then the future would look like in technology. Think large machines with many little colored lights, going "beep" and "buzz" from time to time...

AKGs haven't changed their look much since the 80s for the K2xx phones, so they look retro if you think the 80s is retro. Grados look like they would fit in in the 20s though.

The AKGs don't play well, or at all, out of portables. You'd need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back