reterminate a single ended Joseph Grado Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference cable (JGSUWBR)
Sep 1, 2008 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

alexdemaet

1000+ Head-Fier
Would it be possible to reterminate a single ended Joseph Grado Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference (JGSUWBR) Cable to (balanced) XLR?
Recently I reterminated the BlackGold (HeadPhile) single ended to XLR.
I asked Drew from Moon Audio and he is pretty sure the Joseph Grado Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference (JGSUWBR) Cable is balanced.

From Killercrush: "Yes it can be done but only with a 4-pin XLR I think, not sure about two 3-pin XLRs."

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 27
I would like to plug the Hp-2 into a balanced amp. So I need to reterminate the Hp-2 cable from single ended to balanced XLR.
I am sure it makes a difference, like I heard a major improvement with the GS1000 (from unbalanced to balanced).

Sep 1, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 27
So what's the problem?
smily_headphones1.gif
Any cable builder / diyer can easily reterminate a headphone, it takes no more than 5 minutes.

Sep 1, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 27
Not all cables are balanced. I found out that the BlackGold cable is balanced, which means you don't have to recable the cable to go from balanced to single ended. Now I need to find out if the "Joseph Grado Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference cable" is balanced also.

Sep 1, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 27
I would say almost all cables are "balanced", some very cheap headphones are not, but it's almost guaranteed that any headphones over $50 will have separate wired grounds for left/right. For a headphone cable to to be "balanced" it means that there are 4 wires (Left +, Left -, Right + & Right -) all the way down to the connector. Some cheap headphone cables run a single wire for Ground (signal -) until the "Y-Split" or for single-entry headphones all the way up to the driver, but this is rare. You're pretty much guaranteed to have all quality headphones with as you say "balanced" cables.

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not all cables are balanced. I found out that the BlackGold cable is balanced, which means you don't have to recable the cable to go from balanced to single ended. Now I need to find out if the "Joseph Grado Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference cable" is balanced also.

The JGSUWBRC has 4 conductors.

Get it re-terminated in a single 4-pin XLR, and get an adapter to go to 2X3-pin. the single 4-pin looks much bettter when you are plugging into a single ended amp.

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 27
Yes, you absolutely can reterminate the UWBR cable... and any Grado for that matter to balanced. The 4pin XLR is a nice choice as you could then simply get a 4pin to 2x3pin XLR for balanced operation and have someone use the stock UWBR 1/4" plug section to make a 4pin to 1/4" adapter for you so you can also use it single ended. A significant part of the value of your headphones is in that cable so whatever you choose be careful.

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by frequencyhz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds dangerous

my HP-2 came with a radio-shack 1/8" gold plug (What?)

My retermination was no-risk, all reward
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #11 of 27
I received the Grado Hp-2 this morning!
I have never heard a headphone as good as the Hp-2! I wonder
how it will sound when I reterminate the cable to balanced XLR!
The sound is so natural and the bass is so tight.
Some people find the Hp-2 uncomfortable. I found out that they are wrong!
The Hp-2 (to me) is equally comfortable as the GS1000.
Maybe they mean that the Hp-2 is not as flexible as the Gs1000 to fit it on your head and
to put it away. The headband is quite hard and the Hp-2 weights more the the Gs1000.
To give you an example of really uncomfortable headphones: Ultrasone Ed. 9!

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 27
Too bad I can't reterminate the cable myself to 2x 3-pin XLR balanced and I don't know anyone close to me who can reterminate it for me. This means I will have to pay 2x shipping charge of $45 USD. Total of retermination ($40), Furutech plugs ($132), and shipping ($90) will cost me +/- $262 USD.

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit........Recently I reterminated the BlackGold (HeadPhile) single ended to XLR......

Can I ask who re-terminated the BlackGold cable to XLR for you, was it Larry at Headphile or someone here at Head-Fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back