reterminate a single ended Joseph Grado Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference cable (JGSUWBR)
Sep 8, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #16 of 27
Just a moment ago, I have sent my Grado Hp-2 for XLR re-termination to Drew from Moon-Audio. Shipment charge was 15 euro. I hope I won't have any trouble with the customs - I wrote down on the custom sheet: "USED electronic parts"!

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #17 of 27
I have asked Drew to return me the original Grado 1/4" plug (termination). Perhaps it will be possible to re-terminate it again later to a single-end 1/4" termination by using the original plug (of the Grado Reference cable)?

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by frequencyhz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds dangerous

Ahh, Yes my friend, sound IS dangerous.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #19 of 27
To explain it a bit easier (hopefully).
Let's say, my Hp2 has been re-terminated to balanced XLR.
Would it be possible - which I don't think will be - to restore the original Grado Hp2 cable - like it was in the state that I bought it ((unbalanced) single-ended cable) with the original Grado 1/4" plug that Drew had to cut from the cable to re-terminate it to a XLR balanced cable?
In other words, to restore the re-terminated Grado Reference cable (XLR balanced) to the original single ended Grado cable (like it was in the state that I bought it)? To re-terminate it back in pure stock form without recabling?

Sep 9, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #20 of 27
In other words, to restore the re-terminated Grado Reference cable (XLR balanced) to the original single ended Grado cable (like it was in the state that I bought it)?

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it's doable but it would never be as clean as stock and you would loose a bit of lenght, it might not be as seamless as stock,some heatshrink would have to cover something.

I think he is asking if it will be possible to return it so that nobody will know.

the answer to that is No.

If you want to go back to single ended after lopping off the stock plug, the best thing to do is get an aftermarket plug. Once the stock plug is removed it never goes back on.

You could splice the stock plug back in, but it will be SOOOOOO weak.

Its a great idea to modify irreplaceable parts on rare headphones.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I think he is asking if it will be possible to return it so that nobody will know...

Yes, that's what I wanted to ask
smily_headphones1.gif

Someone wrote me: "If the 1/4" plug that is on
there is not the molded type, then yes. Just save the connector. If it is a molded connector then no."

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #24 of 27
Maybe the best option will be to completely re-cable the Hp2 with a XLR balanced Blue Dragon cable. And if I would want to restore it to a stock Hp2, re-cable it with the Grado Reference cable.

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #25 of 27
"Black Dragon, it is the best cable match
for the Grado phones and is more in league with the Furutech connectors as well. Cost for 10' Cable with Balanced XLRs would be $375 installed." I think I will be satisfied with a 5' (feet) cable.

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #26 of 27
I still haven't decided about the length of the cable. Some comments/opinions would be welcome.
1) $325 for 5ft Black Dragon and XLR plugs and re-cabling ($370 with return shipment),
2) A 10 ft XLR BD cable would cost $375 ($420 USD with return shipping).
I believe a 5 ft cable would be long enough. My Gs1000 is +/- 3.28 ft long and I don't have any trouble with the length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back