resurrecting old threads?
Feb 8, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 33
If it were an option, I'd vote to have everything inactive 6 months or longer locked. IIRC, Ars has everything after 2 months locked, but around here, sometimes it is worth reviving older stuff. But, as is happened a couple of times, I've had threads that I started over a year ago revived, they are frequently no longer relevant. Six months should be more than enough time IMO.

Feb 8, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #17 of 33
It has been my pleasure to resurrect numerous threads (on K1000s and listening chairs to name but two) where extensive thoughtful dialogue once again benefit headfiers to such extent that the threads were thought to be new. That's a classic thread!

Resurrecting good headphone/amp/source/music threads reduces restatements and server load, updates the collective body of knowledge, and facilitates timely comments and searches. They serve the purpose of these forums.

The political and other idiocy threads, however, serve no such long term purpose. I think it was a great idea to remove postcount credit for these threads and posts. No one would even notice if these were to disappear completely after six months.

Feb 8, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
The political and other idiocy threads, however, serve no such long term purpose. I think it was a great idea to remove postcount credit for these threads and posts. No one would even notice if these were to disappear completely after six months.

Let me go one further than that. I think we'd all be well served if all postcounts were removed. We could just go blank, or if some sort of "vetting" was thought useful, we could have seniority rankings based on a number of factors (including, for example, opinions of other Head-Fi members or mods or whatever.)

Feb 8, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
We could just go blank, or if some sort of "vetting" was thought useful, we could have seniority rankings based on a number of factors (including, for example, opinions of other Head-Fi members or mods or whatever.)

Modifiedavatar.jpg
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
What Chris was trying to say is that the idea of a rating like that would be way our of hand and everybody would hate it.

Whereas the post count is useful and well-loved today? Methinks not.

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #25 of 33
I don't mind that old threads get revived. Sometimes useful information gets added or questions that were left unansweredwould get a response. Some of the old threads contain insteresting topics that were missed by the newer members of this site.

Feb 8, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #26 of 33
I really don't have a strong opinion either wy, having a thread pop up about "Panasonics New players" dealing with old stuff is rather poor at best. plus I never have any problem using search to find what I want and even seeing how the opinions of a piece of gear have varied over time (and threads) is valuable. All things considered I'd rather not have them pop up!

May 17, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #28 of 33
The problem is that we have threads with 3000 or more pages and it's pretty difficult to conclude anything so you get to spend like 2 or 3 months looking at pictures in a thread and forget what actual info you were searching for.

If they stopped allowing thread revivalism it would just result in more threads spread out over time and space and it would be equally impossible to distill the valueable info.

In the end, I conclude it just doesn't matter.

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #30 of 33
I like digging up old threads if they have a relevant topic. It’s actually kind of fun to see what has changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back