Results of my A/B Comparison of Sennheiser HD598 vs HD600 using Shiit Modi DAC and Vali AMP
Apr 8, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #16 of 49
Pianist,

nice write-up ! As DB says, every component in your rig is important to squeeze the extra SQ. In my own experience, I use a Macbook Air but I decided not to even worry about using the internal card. I use the Schiit Bifrost Uber and connect the laptop through USB. These days, USB implementations on DACs, especially the Uber, are very good. If, after careful testing, it looks like you may need to upgrade your DAC, I would unhesitatingly recommend the Bifrost Uber with the USB. This is only my opinion of course. I think the Vali can get you far but I hesitate to recommend it for orthos (if you want to go that route). For most dynamic HPs, Vali is plenty.

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #17 of 49
I have never used Winamp so I can't say anything about it, but there is some setup involved both in windows and in your player to get the best performance from an outboard dac of any kind. I am lazy I just setup Foobar to optimize 24/96 files and live with it when I am playing regular redbook files, even though I know I am not getting the best I could possibly get, it is good enough. If you really think your soundcard is as good as the Modi I would have to say, either you have a pretty good sound card, or a bad dac, or something in your setup is messed up. My modi is way better than my soundcard but that is my Modi on my system, making that information pretty much useless to you. Maybe you can borrow another dac to compare to both the Modi and your soundcard and see how that goes?

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #18 of 49
UPDATE: After a few days of comparison .... biggest sound improvement I hear when I compare my HD598 with PC sound card VS HD600 Modi/Vali. Truly big difference. If I can get same amount of improvement by getting a better amp or better DOC ... just point me to the direction :)

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #19 of 49
There are very diminishing returns as you go up in quality of DACs/headphone amps. Upgrading from the Modi/Vali to a better DAC/headphone amp would not give you the same kind of upgrade as from your sound card.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #20 of 49
There are very diminishing returns as you go up in quality of DACs/headphone amps. Upgrading from the Modi/Vali to a better DAC/headphone amp would not give you the same kind of upgrade as from your sound card.

Even if I go double on DAC and double on Amp? :)

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #22 of 49
Even if I go double on DAC and double on Amp? :)

You probably have to go double just to get any improvement.

The purpose of a DAC is to accurately convert digital to analog. I would argue that the Modi is probably pretty close to doing that.

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #24 of 49
You probably have to go double just to get any improvement.

The purpose of a DAC is to accurately convert digital to analog. I would argue that the Modi is probably pretty close to doing that.

agree but wouldn't the main area for improvement be in the power supply , and analog stage, ?
dacs with the same digital chips can, and often to, sound different
there are very audible differences in the modi and the bifrost, and bifrost and the bifrost uber(though sound difference is not as much here)

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #25 of 49
maybe I am deaf or I just like to feel big improvement if I spend double, but sound difference I achieved with $250 + better headphones (HD600 vs HD598) is great. Are you saying that upgrading to Bifrost will have same impact?

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #26 of 49
ultimately I am thinking if upgrading to Asgard 2 AMP over Vali will have significant improvement that anyone can hear without paying a very clear attention to sound 

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #27 of 49
maybe I am deaf or I just like to feel big improvement if I spend double, but sound difference I achieved with $250 + better headphones (HD600 vs HD598) is great. Are you saying that upgrading to Bifrost will have same impact?

Only the listener, buyer can make the decision if the any upgrade is"worth" any certain dollar amount
I thought it a worthwhile upgrade

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #28 of 49
Only the listener, buyer can make the decision if the any upgrade is"worth" any certain dollar amount
I thought it a worthwhile upgrade

just looked through your inventory of very impressive headphones LCD, RS1i, GS100i ... very cool.
I compared Grados 225 to many other headphones ... there was something about Grados that I liked and hated for other kinds of music. Electric guitar on Grados 225 was amazing. It didn;'t do so well on the Sennheiser HD598 ... so, out of all 9 diff headphones I tried, Grados are the ones that I'd maybe buy as a second pair for a very different sound compared to HD598 or HD600.

P.S. Is your Schiit Vali enough to handle LCD and grados?

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #29 of 49
just looked through your inventory of very impressive headphones LCD, RS1i, GS100i ... very cool.
I compared Grados 225 to many other headphones ... there was something about Grados that I liked and hated for other kinds of music. Electric guitar on Grados 225 was amazing. It didn;'t do so well on the Sennheiser HD598 ... so, out of all 9 diff headphones I tried, Grados are the ones that I'd maybe buy as a second pair for a very different sound compared to HD598 or HD600.

P.S. Is your Schiit Vali enough to handle LCD and grados?

I haven't updated my gear list, I don't have the vali anymore, I have a lyr, but the vali sounds great with both, I've owned it a few times, and may again one day

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #30 of 49
Pianist, I just realized you have the Sierra-1s in your signature. Cool. That, or the Sierra-2, are my next upgrade for my desktop setup :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back