Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Mar 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #301 of 2,480
Quote:

Do you mean the Concero vs the Anedio D1 as a dac? I have when I first got the Concero. Previously to that I had my HE6 rig with the D1 instead. I find the D1 to be the better dac in just about all ways but the step up would not be as big as say an entry level dac to the Concero. Despite the small size and usb only the concero does hold up quite well which is quite surprising. 

I was more referring to using the S/PDIF output of the Concero to the S/PDIF input of the D1, therefore feeding it a better quality signal and being able to use the Concero's digital filters on the D1.  I'm mostly just curious to see how sound of the D1 changes or improves with the Concero being used as a USB to S/PDIF converter.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #302 of 2,480
I have some troubles with the usb sometimes so I use my vlink in between  my computer and the Concero so can't really test that. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #303 of 2,480
Quote:
I have some troubles with the usb sometimes so I use my vlink in between  my computer and the Concero so can't really test that. 

Ok, that makes sense now.  That's too bad, I hope Resonessence can help you figure that out.  The USB playback has been flawless for me so far with Windows 7.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #305 of 2,480
Quote:
Guys hot news: Resonessence Labs ‏Concero users will get 384k USB Audio along with ability to select spdif input while plugged into USB host soon!!

Is there even music produced at that rate?  It is really cool that Resonessence is doing that, but I failed very badly at a blind test between 24/96 and 24/192, and insignificantly better at 16/44 vs 24/96.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #306 of 2,480
Quote:
Is there even music produced at that rate?  It is really cool that Resonessence is doing that, but I failed very badly at a blind test between 24/96 and 24/192, and insignificantly better at 16/44 vs 24/96.

There are a few demo recordings floating around at that rate, but nothing substantial. The real reasons to support 384kHz are:
(i) for the people who want to listen to DSD recordings (i.e., high bit rate DSD-to-PCM conversions);
(ii) for hobbyists who want to play around with custom oversampling/reconstruction filters. You can do 8x oversampling of Redbook audio in software at 384kHz.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #307 of 2,480
Raw studio work is usually done in DXD, or 32/384. There are some outlets to find music in this format, but I doubt it will ever be sold in such a way, mostly because of the file sizes. A 10 minute DXD file is about 1.2 gigabytes, so a 'full' album of roughly 60 minutes would be about 7.5 gigabytes, or the size of a compressed 1080p bluray.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #308 of 2,480
Quote:
Raw studio work is usually done in DXD, or 32/384. There are some outlets to find music in this format, but I doubt it will ever be sold in such a way, mostly because of the file sizes. A 10 minute DXD file is about 1.2 gigabytes, so a 'full' album of roughly 60 minutes would be about 7.5 gigabytes, or the size of a compressed 1080p bluray.

Thanks for the info guys.  Makes more sense now.   But HOLY SCHMOLY!  7.5GB for a single album?  And I was getting cranky about how much space 24/192 took up.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #309 of 2,480
Dsd albums are few and also unlikely that soon your favorite artist goes to a recording format. Nervous at least early 
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #310 of 2,480
Also keep in mind that DXD is the equivalent of WAV - it's completely uncompressed. So even a 24/192 FLAC album comes off as looking reasonably compact in comparison to a 24/352 or 24/384 DXD file. 

You can find some free hi-res tracks HERE including DSD and DXD files. Check out the sizes - Mozart Violin Concerto in D Major (KV128)  - Allegro is about 1GB for DXD, then DSD128 is nearly half the size, then DSD64 is about half of that. And that's just one song (a 10 minute song though). 

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #311 of 2,480
So if/when the update to the USB occurs, the DXD files will have to be converted first to play still, right?  I know someone mentioned that Resonessence might up date the Concero to play DSD (would this included DXD?), but never saw any confirmation.

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #312 of 2,480
Quote:
So if/when the update to the USB occurs, the DXD files will have to be converted first to play still, right?  I know someone mentioned that Resonessence might up date the Concero to play DSD (would this included DXD?), but never saw any confirmation.

DXD is PCM, so it could be played directly.

DSD will still need to be converted, presumably. The datasheet for the ESS9023 isn't public though, so perhaps there is a DSD input mode.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #313 of 2,480
Once that new update that Uberzone mentioned goes public, the unit will handle DXD immediately. At least the DXD files I've seen at 2L records. I don't know if the new firmware will unlock 32-bit playback or if it will still be capped at 24-bit. But those 2L files are all 24-bit anyway. 

ES9023 can't do DSD. I'm sorry to anyone who got the wrong impression - they can tweak Concero firmware all day long, but the capability just isn't there. Resonessence surely has a plan for future releases and we'll hear some of those later this month, but I really don't think DSD on current devices is possible. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #314 of 2,480
Quote:
Once that new update that Uberzone mentioned goes public, the unit will handle DXD immediately. At least the DXD files I've seen at 2L records. I don't know if the new firmware will unlock 32-bit playback or if it will still be capped at 24-bit. But those 2L files are all 24-bit anyway. 

ES9023 can't do DSD. I'm sorry to anyone who got the wrong impression - they can tweak Concero firmware all day long, but the capability just isn't there. Resonessence surely has a plan for future releases and we'll hear some of those later this month, but I really don't think DSD on current devices is possible. 

Do you know if Resonessence is demoing any new products at SSI Montreal next weekend? If they are, I might make the trip to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back