Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Feb 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #181 of 2,480
Quote:

Looks like people have the " I bought it so it must be the best" syndrome .  That is quite common in hi-fi.

You guys are missing the point on my interconnects. Money is not being spent. I already own the interconnects (and more than this pair)  that I have been using in my current system for the last few years so my cash outlay is ZIP. Are you suggesting that I spend another $175 (or whatever amount )  on interconnects if I buy a Concero?

Anyway, I decided to go another route as suggested by most of you. To match with my interconnects I have decided to go in another direction and waste my money on a full featured DSD capable DAC that costs $2500 with more features than I want for use only as a USB DAC in my computer based system. In case any of you missed my point, I already have a DAC that I am very happy with for my CD based system.

I think we're on the same page, maybe just mis-communication at first.  I was under the impression you already owned the Concero hence you could use it as a USB converter to a nicer DAC so your nice interconnects aren't wasted.  I know you already had the interconnects, my point was that if you could afford them to begin with you likely could afford a better dac as well (which you did decide to buy).  In general I would say people that can only afford to spend a few hundred on a DAC won't spend (or have already spent) more than $50 or so on cables.  There are exceptions though I'm sure.  I don't think anyone here is suggesting you buy new interconnects, especially if you already have good ones that you like.

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #182 of 2,480
Quote:
I think we're on the same page, maybe just mis-communication at first.  I was under the impression you already owned the Concero hence you could use it as a USB converter to a nicer DAC so your nice interconnects aren't wasted.  I know you already had the interconnects, my point was that if you could afford them to begin with you likely could afford a better dac as well (which you did decide to buy).  In general I would say people that can only afford to spend a few hundred on a DAC won't spend (or have already spent) more than $50 or so on cables.  There are exceptions though I'm sure.  I don't think anyone here is suggesting you buy new interconnects, especially if you already have good ones that you like.

You are right about the miscommunication and the subsequent misunderstanding. But no harm done.

My CD system DAC has no SPDIF input (only ST optic Fiber- and that also only one input) so I cannot use a USB => Spdif converter otherwise the decision would have been a lot easier. I even looked at USB to ST Fiber converter but having only one input on my DAC was a bummer. So I actually needed ONLY a USB DAC that the Concero is and fitted the bill perfectly. If I do not find the extra value on the new DAC for the money (here's hoping I like it better than my CD DAC) ,  I will revisit the Concero.

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #183 of 2,480
Quote:
Regarding shipping - Mark tells me they just replaced the "standard" UPS method with "Canada Post" which costs $30 and should have no additional broker fees or anything like that. I just shipped a package to Canada yesterday, similar size and weight to the Concero package, and USPS charged me $44 for the slowest method with no tracking. So that $30 doesn't seem bad at all.

FYI. Having lived in both Canada and USA here is how you can save money next time you ship to Canada . If you use a Priority Mail legal envelope and you can easily fit a Concero size item  in the envelope for a lot less

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10054&m=13&p=0&o=1&mt=18

or a 2 lb Priority mail shipped in your own packaging is about $30 and  1 lb package $20

And a Fist class 1 lb package to Canada is $10.55 and a 2 lb package is $16.15.

Above info from the USPS site.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #184 of 2,480
Thanks for the tip Gurus - helpful for the future.

I don't think any of us here are saying Concero is the best because we own it. It's simply a good little DAC at the price, better than most others we have heard in the similar range. It's interesting that many Concero owners in this thread seem to already own more expensive DACs and still find Concero really nice. It's still worth considering. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #185 of 2,480
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Gurus - helpful for the future.

I don't think any of us here are saying Concero is the best because we own it. It's simply a good little DAC at the price, better than most others we have heard in the similar range. It's interesting that many Concero owners in this thread seem to already own more expensive DACs and still find Concero really nice. It's still worth considering. 

I agree. And the only reason I was looking at the Concero. I thought it was  (and still) is a good value if not an outright bargain (at least for my use as a straight USB DAC).

Unfortunately postings and subsequent replies just got convoluted. If you look at the postings I never once said that the Concero was not good, just the post about replacing the RCA jacks that I did not like. I kind of like the enclosure which I thought was done in good taste/quality and having not have listened to it never passed judgement on the sound quality. And like I said in an earlier post I was looking forward to getting one on a 30 day trial to try it out regardless.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #186 of 2,480
Quote:
I agree. And the only reason I was looking at the Concero. I thought it was  (and still) is a good value if not an outright bargain (at least for my use as a straight USB DAC).

Unfortunately postings and subsequent replies just got convoluted. If you look at the postings I never once said that the Concero was not good, just the post about replacing the RCA jacks that I did not like. I kind of like the enclosure which I thought was done in good taste/quality and having not have listened to it never passed judgement on the sound quality. And like I said in an earlier post I was looking forward to getting one on a 30 day trial to try it out regardless.

I see. Then we're back to square one which is no, you can't replace the RCA jacks without a great deal of effort. It's probably still worth giving the unit a 30-day trial (which imo should be a standard policy for all internet based sellers/brands). 

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #187 of 2,480
Is anyone using a power supply for this, or just usb powered? And is there an SQ difference between the two?

I'm looking for just a usb dac, don't need all the additional options that most other dacs offer. The concero looks attractive for computer based systems. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #188 of 2,480
I'm just using the adapter they provided in the concero but that wouldn't matter if you just wanted a usb dac. The power is only if you are using optical as the input instead of the usb into a computer unless I'm mistaken.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #190 of 2,480
I received my Concero today and am doing my first listening now.  So far so good.  Very surprisingly natural sounding.  I'm stuck in bit perfect mode right now though.  

I ordered the Apple remote separately and the Concero managed to beat my remote here.  More impressions to come later on.  If the upsampling really kicks it up a notch, I have a feeling I will be very impressed.

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #191 of 2,480
I guess if your powering the concerno usb getting the bundle would be useless? Or the better option if you did want to use an apple remote is buy is separetly. I wonder how much better the concero is compared to my MSII+ Ive had for a while. 

Also is there any comparisons to the Schiit Bifrost?

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #192 of 2,480
No need to compare w/Bifrost. Concero is in another league of performance altogether. Though if your amp/headphones aren't very resolving it would of course be more difficult to discern.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #194 of 2,480
Quote:
project86, On the very first page you have a Yamaha YDA-02 in the picture among the other DACs. Can you comment on how it sounds compared to Concero?

Yamamoto YDA-02 - pending review at InnerFidelity. It's a good little unit, not quite on the same level as Concero though. But a nice, organic sound that comes across as very natural if not quite the most refined and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back