Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Feb 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #151 of 2,480
Quote:

Project86,

I am currently using a just completed EHHA rev. A as the headphone amp, which is why I am able to change input impedances so easily.  Based on what I am hearing so far, I think I need a better headphone amp...  I am sure Concero can sound better than what I am hearing at the moment.  Next on the build list was a Bijou, but I am not sure Bijou and Concero will play nice with each other as they are both on the smooth side.  Maybe something solid state would work better.

The EHHA is a nice amp but I agree that you can do better - Concero is surprisingly capable in terms of not being the weakest link among fairly expensive gear. 

Quote:
Great thread everyone.  I've been reading with interest.  I'm in the process of upgrading my system and adding a computer-based capability.  I'm researching DACs in the sub $750 range and have stumbled upon this Concero as an interesting option.  I'm acutely aware of good system matching - but am by no means an expert.  My setup won't be including a headphone rig for now, but instead has an EL34 tube integrated and some tube-friendly tower speakers.  The speakers are fairly neutral across the frequency range - with perhaps a slight bump after 5kHz, but it's very minor.

So, with all this in mind - What would be the "better" match - the Concero or something like the Yulong D18? From what I've been reading (and I haven't heard either at this point), the Concero is more neutral, while the D18 is warmer.  Now,  I enjoy the warmth of the tubes....but don't want to overdo it, and lose too much detail etc.  On the other hand, I don't want something that will over-brighten the system either.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. 

Having both here to play with, I'd say it really depends on a few things. First - what's your plan for getting a signal from computer to the D18? Because depending on the direction you go with that, it could make the D18 a considerably more expensive choice. 

I doubt either option would push things into overly-bright territory. Concero is neutral-smooth and D18 is warm-smooth, with bigger bass and a larger soundstage but less detail. Honestly, either could probably satisfy. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #152 of 2,480
Thanks! I would be using a PC.....so if i went with the D18, i would need a SPDIF/USB interface which would up the total cost by another $100-200 or so. I am also planning on keeping my CD player as an optional transport.....would have un hook inputs etc with the Concero each time I went from PC/USB to the CD player.

As for the sound qualities between the two DACs, looks like I will need to think about what signature best suits my ears. I like solid bass and an expansive soundstage......this will be a tough choice. Wonder if i can do a home audition? Grant Fidelity offers a 30 trial....does Resoessence?

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #153 of 2,480
Quote:
Thanks! I would be using a PC.....so if i went with the D18, i would need a SPDIF/USB interface which would up the total cost by another $100-200 or so. I am also planning on keeping my CD player as an optional transport.....would have un hook inputs etc with the Concero each time I went from PC/USB to the CD player.

Since the Concero has USB and coax inputs, you could use the USB for your PC source, and then the SPDIF input for your CD player?

You'd still have to switch the USB cable from active to power-only USB port (to activate the SPDIF in), but at least that way you won't have to reach to the back of the unit.

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #154 of 2,480
Yup, that would be possible. How do you switch from power only to active?
Since the Concero has USB and coax inputs, you could use the USB for your PC source, and then the SPDIF input for your CD player?

You'd still have to switch the USB cable from active to power-only USB port (to activate the SPDIF in), but at least that way you won't have to reach to the back of the unit.

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #155 of 2,480
The easiest way I think would be to switch from the USB port on your computer (active), to a USB wall charger (like for phones, apple products, etc) or to a powered USB hub (power only).

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #158 of 2,480
Well, after much deliberation, I decided to pull the trigger on the Concero.  Also just ordered an Audio Technica AD2000X as well.  Currently using the K702 65th Anniversary and Audio Technica A900X as my primary phones and an Audio-GD SA-31 amp.  The SA-31 is a slightly warm and smooth amp with great sense of space and soundstaging.

Despite the massive power output (10w @ 32ohm, 8w @ 50ohm, etc) the gain is on the somewhat low side (0db on low and 10db on high) so the output with the 1.2v of the Concero could become an issue with the K702 but the AT's should be plenty efficient to run well.  Worst case scenario, I can solder 2 lower resistance resistors on top of 2 existing ones to increase the gain.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #160 of 2,480
Quote:
The galvanic isolation on USB might be my error - I swear I read it on the Resonessence Labs site, but know that I look... it just ain't there. The 6moons article does explicitly mention it though. Either way, it's not an issue as has already been clarified above.

I've been using Concero a lot with my Analog Design Labs tube amp. It has a 50K input impedance and makes for a great pairing. But I've also used the Violectric V200 which is 10K and I don't perceive an issue with crushed dynamics. What amps are you using?

If the above was directed at me. I have an vintage Accuphase Class A amp. The amp has low sensitivity plus adjustable input gain  so it should be no problem driving it. Input Impedance is 40K  Ohms bal and 20K SE.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #161 of 2,480
I've had a Concero DAC for several weeks now and could not be more pleased with the SQ.  Highly recommended.

My only minor beef was a $25.25 fee I had to pay the UPS dude that showed up at my door with the package.  He said it was a "brokerage fee".  He gave a number to call if I had any questions about it. The # was for UPS and they said they were just passing on the fee that customs charged them. UPS gave me a # for customs.

Next, I emailed Resonesence and they said that there should not have been a $25 customs fee.

So I called customs and they said all ground packages over $200 have this $25 fee attached.  Said it was standard procedure and they would not give me a refund. They said the only way for me not to be charged the fee was if the sender were to send the package by air.  If that is done, then the sender pays the fee up front.

Did anyone else in the US pay the customs fee?  I told Resonessence about the customs statement and there was no reply.  I think they should tell US customers about it. Doesn't sound like they care.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #162 of 2,480
I ordered and it didn't go through.. Emailed Mark and he said I should do 3-day which has the fee included. I was going to go with 5 day. Your right they should mention the fee on their site.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #163 of 2,480
So, this may be an impossible question to answer, but here it goes.  Would you think a DAC like the Concero would be on par or perhaps superior in sonics to something like my Creek Evo CD player?  The Creek leans towards the warm side of neutral and is fairly detailed, but could have a bit more air between instruments, but is not bad as an entry level product.  It is an older model (designed maybe 7-10 years ago).  Has the DAC technology advanced far enough that I would notice a difference? 

I am close to ordering a Concero on a 30 day trial anyways...so I suppose I'll find out soon enough, but just want to know if I'm thinking in the right ballpark here.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #164 of 2,480
I've had a Concero DAC for several weeks now and could not be more pleased with the SQ.  Highly recommended.

My only minor beef was a $25.25 fee I had to pay the UPS dude that showed up at my door with the package.  He said it was a "brokerage fee".  He gave a number to call if I had any questions about it. The # was for UPS and they said they were just passing on the fee that customs charged them. UPS gave me a # for customs.

Next, I emailed Resonesence and they said that there should not have been a $25 customs fee.

So I called customs and they said all ground packages over $200 have this $25 fee attached.  Said it was standard procedure and they would not give me a refund. They said the only way for me not to be charged the fee was if the sender were to send the package by air.  If that is done, then the sender pays the fee up front.

Did anyone else in the US pay the customs fee?  I told Resonessence about the customs statement and there was no reply.  I think they should tell US customers about it. Doesn't sound like they care.

Yeah I had to pay it as well. It's a standard charge whenever UPS sends a ground shipment across the border. Better just to pay for 3-day shipping sans the fee since the cost is about the same. Did Mark mention this on the shipping page yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back