Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Oct 6, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #2,371 of 2,480
I have found that the ticking noise is reduced further if you set the advanced properties Default format to 24 bit, 352800hz (Studio Quality).

When it is set to anything lower I find the ticking happens more frequently. By default windows will set it to 24 bit, 48000hz(Studio Quality).

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #2,372 of 2,480
I have found that the ticking noise is reduced further if you set the advanced properties Default format to 24 bit, 352800hz (Studio Quality).

When it is set to anything lower I find the ticking happens more frequently. By default windows will set it to 24 bit, 48000hz(Studio Quality).
Thanks for that cobber! I have my settings defaulted to 24/96 but will give your suggestion a go.

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #2,373 of 2,480
It pains me to know that Resonessence Labs decided to just up and leave without even a proper acknowledgement. No warning, no heads up just bam disappeared without a trace. For a company so closely associated with ESS I expect better behavior towards us customers. We deserve to know what's going on, and if our products will be supported in the future. It's nice knowing that another company will take care of repair but what about software support?

I own a Concero HP and a Veritas. The latter can upgraded to firmware 2.0.0 but the website verification thing just won't allow it. That and I don't have the upgrade file.

Shame on you Resonessence. Shame on you. Your products sound excellent but your behavior leaves a lot to be desired. Way to turn a customer off.
Hi, joining the Resonessence misery here. I am not as deep as some in the mosey as I only have a Concero HP, and last I checked, it works fine as ias is in USB mode. Trouble is I now wish to use in SPDIF mode and it seems you need the firmware updated to work to change that functionality. The owners manual would have you believe that all one needs to do is connect a USB power source only to the unit and it automatically will work in SPDIF in mode but that does not seem to be the case. Does anyone know if you can change this functionality with anything but the update software? That software seems to crap out when it reaches out to the RL website and then does not complete the operation to change the SPDIF functionality. Can an Apple remote be used to do this? Thanks!

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #2,374 of 2,480
Hi, joining the Resonessence misery here. I am not as deep as some in the mosey as I only have a Concero HP, and last I checked, it works fine as ias is in USB mode. Trouble is I now wish to use in SPDIF mode and it seems you need the firmware updated to work to change that functionality. The owners manual would have you believe that all one needs to do is connect a USB power source only to the unit and it automatically will work in SPDIF in mode but that does not seem to be the case. Does anyone know if you can change this functionality with anything but the update software? That software seems to crap out when it reaches out to the RL website and then does not complete the operation to change the SPDIF functionality. Can an Apple remote be used to do this? Thanks!
Pressing "UP" on the Apple remote enables S/PDIF input mode:

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #2,376 of 2,480
I actually regret updating the firmware. I never had a problem with the original firmware and only upgraded because of the numerous so-called bug fixes. After the update, I can no longer use IEMs with these, everything save for the HD580/HD600 sounds loud on windows volume 1. I contacted Resonessence (when they were still in business) and the engineer said the process is non-reversible.

I suspect they turned up the gain for later firmware. Before the update I'm able to use M50X with volume 6. Now it's too loud at 1. There is no usable volume range unless you're using a high impedance can or a planar. I must really hit the jack pot because all my $$$$$ to resonessence landed me a brick that doesn't even lit up and another, smaller brick with unusable volume control.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #2,377 of 2,480
Just an FYI, a member from another forum had his Invicta (the 9018S generation, not the 9028 invicta pro) broke down in May. He sent it in to a local repair shop and they narrowed down the issue to a blown tantalum capacitor. The DAC has since gone 100% mono after they replaced that capacitor. No matter what they do the right channel refuse to work.

All this happened because he kept his invicta turned on for 2 days. That's exactly how my Veritas died. How ironic. Resonessence must never do any stress test before shipping their stuff out. They just turn them on, plug them in USB, see that it's working and say 'QC passed, let's get it out of the house'.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #2,378 of 2,480
I actually regret updating the firmware. I never had a problem with the original firmware and only upgraded because of the numerous so-called bug fixes. After the update, I can no longer use IEMs with these, everything save for the HD580/HD600 sounds loud on windows volume 1. I contacted Resonessence (when they were still in business) and the engineer said the process is non-reversible.

I suspect they turned up the gain for later firmware. Before the update I'm able to use M50X with volume 6. Now it's too loud at 1. There is no usable volume range unless you're using a high impedance can or a planar. I must really hit the jack pot because all my $$$$$ to resonessence landed me a brick that doesn't even lit up and another, smaller brick with unusable volume control.
Thank you. I have the latest firmware if it’s 2.8. It’s been around for some time now as I don’t even recall when I updated my unit but it’s been some time now. I meant to write updater application above, not to actually update the firmware but rather, just to flip the SPDIF functionality switch which is an option box that pops up when you launch the application. I do not recall changes in the volume control mapping.....

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #2,381 of 2,480
Any news from Hans at Infigo?
From our email exchange in October, he said he has plans for repairs in the future, but not now.

Nov 15, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #2,382 of 2,480
Yes that's the general impression. He has to get Infigo off the ground first, which of course is much more difficult in 2020 (everything is...) for a variety of reasons. Once that's up and running he can then figure out the logistics for Resonessence stuff.

So long term outlook is good, but short term is just a holding pattern.

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #2,383 of 2,480
Yeah, I don't blame him. His role in Resonessence is not on the operations side. Him taking over resonessence's repair is merely a courtesy, not an obligation.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #2,384 of 2,480
Does HD work on Big Sur as a bridge?

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,385 of 2,480
I have a question about volume control settings for the Concero HP DSD DXD in different pieces of software. I'm using a bunch of different programs (I'm not expecting to keep all these, but exploring and learning for now) - Tidal, Qobuz, Roon (plus RoPieee, sometimes), JRiver, piCorePlayer/LMS/SL (also tried Volumio and VitOS, and I'm streaming via a couple of RPi-4Bs). Gear designers can spend a lot of effort on volume controls so that they don't degrade signal quality. As a matter of optimization, I'd like to be sure as much as possible that the volume control isn't negatively altering playback quality.

The Concero connected directly to a PC is pretty straightforward (such as with Tidal, Qobuz, or JRiver), configured having the device volume control control volume, and the volume control on the front of the Concero works just fine. Turn the volume control on the Concero, and it the slider moves in the software, slide the slider and the volume changes. I'm making a presumption that in this case the Concero volume control is working as designed.

In some software - Roon and piCorePlayer/LMS/SL - there's no configuration option that allows the above to happen; turning the Concero volume control doesn't change the volume/move the software slider. The only way to change volume is to move the playback software slider. This obviously works, and things sound good, but I'm not sure exactly/specifically what/how the volume control is working.

I've seen/read things like this:

"According to Resonessence Labs‘ Mallinson: “Since the Concero HP presents itself as a USB DAC with a hardware volume control, the volume control is passed onto the Concero HP. So to the user, they may think the volume control in OSX is a software one, but that is only the case if the DAC doesn’t support its own hardware volume control.”

Does that mean however I have the volume control configured/specified in the software that the Concero is managing the volume control?

I haven't tried with some software, like PCP/LMS/SL, to choose fixed output, I've only selected to have the player software slider change volume. I've been a little hesitant to select full/fixed output to the Concero. I do send a fixed output to things like my Chord Mojo and Aurender Flow, and of course DACs like my Ares II or Schiit Modi Multibit. And I always select a variable software output for things like the Herus DSD DXD and Meridian Explorer2. Just not quite sure about what's going on with the Concero HP.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back