Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
May 14, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #2,341 of 2,480
Yes I suspect it's fake as well. Lots of copy and paste from the original, but also every single product mentioned is spelled incorrectly, and they use obvious stock photos which are very cheesy. The "contact us" portion doesn't work so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Supposedly there is some "good news" on the way about Resonessence, according to a developer I'm in contact with who did some software work for their Fluvius streamer. Someone is supposed to contact me about it soon, but I don't know exactly when, or who it is, or what's happening with the company. I'll update if/when I learn anything.

Very good points about updating firmware and having no recourse if something goes wrong. I'd probably wait and see if this "good news" pans out to anything tangible, which may offer some support in the event of a brick situation. If nothing ever comes of this news then you'll have to consider the risks vs the benefits - I've never had issues with FW updates but I've heard of at least one person who did.

May 16, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,342 of 2,480
Sad to hear about Resonessence Labs's closure. I own the Herus DSD DXD (not one but two units) for portable use. Empathize with all existing owners. Definitely not a good feeling to be left high and dry without any after-sales service support.

May 16, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #2,343 of 2,480
That fake webpage thing is wacky. Who? Why?

Is there a way to determine the firmware version that's currently installed? Yes, bricking wouldn't be great. Might you happen to have the latest/final firmware update?

The way I see it, my Concero HD and HP sound like a million bucks right now and I can't see any tangible benefit to upgrading the firmware if nothing is wrong. Plus I would much rather play it safe.

May 21, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #2,349 of 2,480
These days I use my Concero exclusively as a USB bridge and it's basically been powered up since I got it (pre-owned) 3 years ago. It does excel in this role, regardless of age, and absolutely still competes with most current such devices that I've had experience with. Definitely one of my most coveted gears, I can't see myself needing to change it anytime soon.

May 29, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #2,350 of 2,480
I have an update regarding the Resenessence situation - and I consider it good news!

I've been contacted by Hans Looman, who has been consulting with Resonessence Labs since 2012 and was the main designer behind their Fluvius streaming device. He confirmed that the company is indeed gone, with Mark Mallinson having retired last year and Ahmed (who was running it since then) moving on to other ventures. Unfortunately some unknown person snatched up the domain, not really sure why, but there's nothing to be done about it at this point.

Hans has a new company called Infigo Audio (Latin for "Impressive", in keeping with the Resonessence naming schemes) which is about to launch. He is working with one of the original engineers behind the Invicta, and they have plans for new DACs, amps, and other stuff. There will be a high-end focus, with the amps mentioned in the $20k range (150 watts per channel, "modified bias" Class A which won't cook the room but delivering full Class A bandwidth at all times, majorly impressive chassis design/heatsinks). They also intend to continue the Fluvius streamer in some form, as well as incorporate that streaming technology into their DACs - the first of which should launch later this year.

Hans also mentioned having a desire to support existing Resonessence products, for any help/repairs as needed. Obviously that process is still in the planning stages at this point but certainly would be appreciated by any existing owners. I'm sure he knows enough about the gear, and potentially even designed some of it, so that would be ideal.

Meanwhile he just pushed out updates for the Fluvius, including Roon endpoint capability which is something I've been hoping for all this time. So I'm quite pleased about that.

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #2,353 of 2,480
Your memory serves you correctly.

I also have a Concero HP which I wanted to put on USB to SPDIF out duty but I just can't make it work. I have used the Updater to confirm it is running 2.8 firmware and it is set to SPDIF but no sound. I have also tried the down button on the apple remote but no effect. I also used the Updater to change to SPDIF In and this works as the PC can no longer see the Concero in Windows sound control panel.

I am wondering if anyone has the firmware files that I could reflash (although not sure what tool to use for that as the Updater no longer connects to a server) to see if it clears the problem or any other ideas? Ironically this Concero HP went back to RL in Jan 2018 and the FGPA was redone but I never checked the SPDIF as haven't had a use case until now

IMG_20200618_1114372.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #2,354 of 2,480
I also have a Concero HP which I wanted to put on USB to SPDIF out duty but I just can't make it work. I have used the Updater to confirm it is running 2.8 firmware and it is set to SPDIF but no sound. I have also tried the down button on the apple remote but no effect. I also used the Updater to change to SPDIF In and this works as the PC can no longer see the Concero in Windows sound control panel.

I am wondering if anyone has the firmware files that I could reflash (although not sure what tool to use for that as the Updater no longer connects to a server) to see if it clears the problem or any other ideas? Ironically this Concero HP went back to RL in Jan 2018 and the FGPA was redone but I never checked the SPDIF as haven't had a use case until now

IMG_20200618_1114372.jpg
What is the FPGA reprogramming for? I too own a Concero HP, never ran into any problems in the last 3 years.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #2,355 of 2,480
It pains me to know that Resonessence Labs decided to just up and leave without even a proper acknowledgement. No warning, no heads up just bam disappeared without a trace. For a company so closely associated with ESS I expect better behavior towards us customers. We deserve to know what's going on, and if our products will be supported in the future. It's nice knowing that another company will take care of repair but what about software support?

I own a Concero HP and a Veritas. The latter can upgraded to firmware 2.0.0 but the website verification thing just won't allow it. That and I don't have the upgrade file.

Shame on you Resonessence. Shame on you. Your products sound excellent but your behavior leaves a lot to be desired. Way to turn a customer off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back