Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Dec 30, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #1,502 of 2,480
  I'm going to go on record and say the impact is significant cutting the cable out of the loop.  For me at least, it's reminiscent of when I had a Metrum Octave and went from an ancient Theta TLC -> Audiophileo 2.  I'm not going to say it's clearly better, because there is that edginess to the sound and while the bass is cleaner, it's also more subdued.  

But no one needs to take my word on it, it's a part that can be picked up for $5 shipped.  Just putting the word out, not looking to open up a sound science type debate.

I've thought about this subject long and hard, if you tell me you can hear something and I don't believe you, I cannot think of a way to proof you wrong that I'm comfortable with. I've stated my reasons for disbelieving above, and I'd also like that to be on the record.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,503 of 2,480
  Emailed Mark and he liked the idea of filter remembering and says they'll put it in the next update :) 

Hey, one thing that may have been addressed earlier in this thread but perhaps I'm not sure how to search for it appropriately - is there any reason why OSX is one minor bump behind Windows?  At least it was when I updated shortly after purchase.

In any case looking forward to that update, as I routintely unplug/plug in throughout the day when I move around and am always on the apodizing filter.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,504 of 2,480
I've thought about this subject long and hard, if you tell me you can hear something and I don't believe you, I cannot think of a way to proof you wrong that I'm comfortable with. I've stated my reasons for disbelieving above, and I'd also like that to be on the record.

Of course you can't, because I'm right :)  But seriously, I believe this type of discussion is for sound science.  

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,508 of 2,480
  It's really cool that someone can just email the company and get a response like that. 

I've always had great dealings with the Resonessence team myself!  Mark and others.

but is it really that unique? I mean c'mon:  it's almost 2014. where any "modern" company even responds to support tweets.  
even Resonessence engineers.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,510 of 2,480
Hi BoxerOrBag,

Quote:
  on the subject of USB cable, I'm going to quote myself from another post here:

1) in all my years of using USB to transfer data, not one byte was ever lost
2) in most modern DACs, the USB transfer is async, afaik, that means the timing is control by the DAC

base on the above points, where no information is lost and timing doesnt matter, I'm wondering how there could be sonic differences in functional USB cables.

I'm still undecided and don't go out of my way to concern myself with USB cable quality, as evidenced by all the contraptions I rig up using cheap cables.

But, here's an excerpt from a Galen Carol Audio page, on why USB cables can make a sonic difference:

IT’S NOT JUST ONES AND ZEROS, IT’S THE TIMING! 

There is a fundamental difference between the transfer of computer data and digital audio signals. Computers are able to transfer digital data without loss, because the data moves in the robust form of blocks, which do not depend on specific timing between the sending and receiving devices. However, digital audio signals are continuous streams of data, which are quite fragile, since the digital processor must remain perfectly locked onto the timing of the signal to avoid data losses. 

The limitations of digital audio processors and cables create timing errors known as jitter, which remove portions of the audio signal and replace them with noise and distortion. Cables tend to round off the square waveforms of the signal, making them less clear to the processor, thus increasing jitter. This rounding effect varies greatly among cables and a truly superior digital audio cable can make great improvements in sound quality. 

Wireworld digital audio cables utilize unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform. At each price level, they provide the lowest jitter available, producing distinct improvements in clarity, image focus, smoothness and dynamic range. 

True or false, I don't know, but he's saying the cable itself can cause jitter.  

Mike

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #1,511 of 2,480

I'm still undecided and don't go out of my way to concern myself with USB cable quality, as evidenced by all the contraptions I rig up using cheap cables.

But, here's an excerpt from a Galen Carol Audio page, on why USB cables can make a sonic difference:

True or false, I don't know, but he's saying the cable itself can cause jitter.  

Mike

I don't think it matters if the DAC is asynchronous. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,512 of 2,480
In my experience it does.  The "it"  being USB cables.  I and many can hear noticeable differences in highly resolving systems.  Just don't ask me how it works.

Hence the mantra "everything  matters"

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,513 of 2,480
Loving this setup. Don't have my HTC One with me so I can't change the filter. Lol. And still using a video RCA -> 3.5mm cable (oddly wired like Left = white like normal, but Right = yellow (video), with the red end (right) just hanging) while I'm waiting for my non-video RCA -> 3.5mm cable. I might make one later if I have time. And this is fully portable if I don't mind the bulk (works with Android phones that support USB audio natively).

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,514 of 2,480
  I don't think it matters if the DAC is asynchronous. 

tyvm.

----
to the people that can hear the difference, apologies for my defective hearing. While I can't proof you wrong, you can always proof yourself right ( I bet there are many people [USB cable makers?] that would compensate you handsomely if you can demonstrate the ablity to differentiate differences in functional USB cables). best of luck.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #1,515 of 2,480
Nobody is saying your hearing is defective and you are certainly allowed to share your opinion.

I for one have not spent more than the cost of a interconnect on my USB cable.  But when you get to hear several USB cables and hear changes, then as with analog cables you can be a believer or not.  I am :)  Unfortunately I cannot hear for you and am unable to demonstrate :)  

Dang, could have been lost of cash there I suppose.

One thing we seem to be learning as time goes by in the digital realm is things are just not as easy as we think nor as easy as they seem.

The guys who design USB have a host of issues they must overcome.  Not the least of which can be shown by there data on what can happen to a signal:

Pretty interesting stuff in this short article:

http://electronicdesign.com/boards/480-mbitss-signal-integrity-becomes-issue-usb-20-designs

And since this is a Resonessence thread, be sure to take and hour or two for some interesting commentary about digital from the guys who make the dac chip.  Lots of unknowns they ran into that affected sound.

Mr. Mallinson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CkyrDIGzOE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjHKv2_OqQ

Ok, done with my opinion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back