Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Dec 30, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #1,489 of 2,480
Being amazed by my Concero all over again tonight. With a few simple changes in priorities and buffers on my laptop and Foobar/Windows, the Concero is creating soul-stirring brilliance in all my music. Just when I thought I had reached the ceiling of what the Concero could provide, it shocks me again and shows me that my laptop was the true bottleneck. It's giving me a little smirk and wink: "Feed me a better signal and I'll show you what I can do."

This little box has been worth every penny and more. That's how I feel after eight months of ownership. I think if my house was set on fire the first thing I would do is grab the Concero and put in my pocket before going to check how my family was doing. ROFL.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,490 of 2,480
I maxed out my buffers according to the advice on the last page too. It seems that the large buffers are affecting the visualizations in Foobar (the spectrum, peak meter, etc.) -- they move slowly and jerkily now and don't seem to follow the music. I'm assuming they either averaging everything in the buffer or displaying the maximum values in the buffer... Does anyone if there is a way around this, or a different visualization component that would work? I'm hoping for something that lets me adjust the sampling frequency or whatever you want to call it independently of the buffer size. This is just a minor quibble though. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,493 of 2,480
Hey Everyone,

I've had an HP for a couple weeks now, so thought I'd chime in.  First off, thanks to tomscy2000 for pushing me over the edge on this one.

In short I love it!  I purchased exclusively to listen to my soon-to-be-arriving JH Roxannes, and that will be their sole purpose in life.  So far with my TG!334s it's bringing the sound to a whole new level of control and authority, wonderfully layered, esp. in the lower regions.  I'm only at about 20-30 hours of use so I welcome further changes if more come, but as things stand I'm quite happy.

One thing I did for the sake of convenience - wanting a setup that is as compact as possible - is purchase the USB male/male connector below and forgo a cable entirely.  I'm not really here nor there on cables, esp. data, but I'll say this - the sound is quite different from the stock cable, it wasn't something I was expecting.  Considerably more focused but also toppy at times.  I did some digging on this and found that jkenny (of Hiface mods/Ciunas fame) reports this as a very cheap improvement as well for his products.

If you have the ability to run such a setup I highly recommend you try it, it's only a few bucks shipped.  Oddly enough, with a normal cable I prefer to run without any filters, but with this adaptor the apodizing filter is more palatable, seems to add some sweetness back in.

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,495 of 2,480
on the subject of USB cable, I'm going to quote myself from another post here:

1) in all my years of using USB to transfer data, not one byte was ever lost
2) in most modern DACs, the USB transfer is async, afaik, that means the timing is control by the DAC

base on the above points, where no information is lost and timing doesnt matter, I'm wondering how there could be sonic differences in functional USB cables.

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,496 of 2,480
1 month of waiting later and I have the HD now.  I sold my regular Concero couple weeks back which I deeply regret but on first listen it sounds great.  So great in fact I almost want to say it surpasses my vintage balanced parasound dac 2000 on first listen through hd600 on GS-X (I used to switch back and fourth between the regular concero and the parasound as they more or less traded blows).  I can't believe it so far but will give it more time.

The seller of my HD unit doesn't have an answer as to why the serial number was removed from the bottom of the unit.  It was clearly there at some point and removed :frowning2:  

Black market out of the back of a van now for Resonessence gear?  You know, 'cause they were getting shipped to bestbuy and fell off the back of the truck!

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,498 of 2,480
  1 month of waiting later and I have the HD now.  I sold my regular Concero couple weeks back which I deeply regret but on first listen it sounds great.  So great in fact I almost want to say it surpasses my vintage balanced parasound dac 2000 on first listen through hd600 on GS-X (I used to switch back and fourth between the regular concero and the parasound as they more or less traded blows).  I can't believe it so far but will give it more time.

The seller of my HD unit doesn't have an answer as to why the serial number was removed from the bottom of the unit.  It was clearly there at some point and removed :frowning2:  

Black market out of the back of a van now for Resonessence gear?  You know, 'cause they were getting shipped to bestbuy and fell off the back of the truck!

I wish you had the OG Concero with the HD. I realize comparisons have been done before, but I could always use another.
atsmile.gif
As for the serial number thing... that sounds shady. haha.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,499 of 2,480
That does indeed sound shady. Maybe screw it open and see if you can find a serial number on the PCB and then follow it up with Mark.

For those wondering about USB cables, the Concero does seem to be a bit pickier than some other DACs about cables. Up till now I've never heard difference between USB cables, but I'll put my head on the chopping block and say the Kimber B BUS Cu cable sounds slightly better than my Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable on the Concero. The Kimber sounds slightly smoother/cleaner and a touch more dynamic than the AQ. The Kimber does bend the rules slightly when it comes to USB cables as it uses higher gauge wires for the power lines and has ferrite cores on both ends. This difference in construction might have small impact on sound, we are talking <1% here. Both sounded better than the stock cable shipped with the Concero. I think there would be more gains to be made with external PSU mods.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #1,500 of 2,480
I'm going to go on record and say the impact is significant cutting the cable out of the loop.  For me at least, it's reminiscent of when I had a Metrum Octave and went from an ancient Theta TLC -> Audiophileo 2.  I'm not going to say it's clearly better, because there is that edginess to the sound and while the bass is cleaner, it's also more subdued.  

But no one needs to take my word on it, it's a part that can be picked up for $5 shipped.  Just putting the word out, not looking to open up a sound science type debate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back