Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Aug 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,021 of 2,480
Quote:
Also does anyone know if there is an upgrade path for the original Concero owners?

I would email Mark and see if anythings possible.

Quote:
Great write up kcee.

Just had one question for you. Was your original Concero running the old 2.0 version or the new 2.2 when doing your comparison? Also did you notice an improvement in sound for the Original Concero after the updating to the 2.2 over the 2.0 or was it mainly and improvement for the HD?

Thanks.

In this most recent comparison both the HD and Original had the 2.2 when I compared them. The older comparison i did I believe they where both 2.0 but I am not 100% sure right now. I am pretty positive the 2.2 firmware improved both, certainly for the HD. I remember having an older version then going to 2.0 and now to 2.2 and things have been continually improving with every update to my ears.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #1,022 of 2,480
Quote:

I would email Mark and see if anythings possible.

In this most recent comparison both the HD and Original had the 2.2 when I compared them. The older comparison i did I believe they where both 2.0 but I am not 100% sure right now. I am pretty positive the 2.2 firmware improved both, certainly for the HD. I remember having an older version then going to 2.0 and now to 2.2 and things have been continually improving with every update to my ears.

Cool, will update to 2.2 as soon as I get home. I love my Concero so much that I don't want to do anything to mess with it. Version 2.0 has been like a dream for me. If 2.2 can match it or even give subtle improvements I will be very happy.
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #1,023 of 2,480
Quote:
Cool, will update to 2.2 as soon as I get home. I love my Concero so much that I don't want to do anything to mess with it. Version 2.0 has been like a dream for me. If 2.2 can match it or even give subtle improvements I will be very happy.
biggrin.gif

Just updated...Definately sounds better on the original concero as well.  

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,024 of 2,480
Quote:
Also does anyone know if there is an upgrade path for the original Concero owners?

Here's what I know so far - initially Mark and company really wanted this to be a possibility. But the final design for Concero HD ended up no longer fitting the original Concero enclosure. Since the whole thing is a different design internally, and doesn't fit in the old enclosure, there's really not much else they can do as far as upgrades - no parts are reusable at this point. 

With a larger design, you'd maybe have a swappable output stage or USB card (Schiit style) or even a processing board where the DAC chip itself could be changed down the road. With the Concero family, everything is pretty much one one integrated board, so there's not much possible. The enclosure is probably a big chunk of the price but if that's not reusable then the upgrade path hits a dead end. It's too bad - Mark really tried to make this happen but wouldn't sacrifice the new designs and their requirements. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,025 of 2,480
Thanks for the explanation Project86. I understand. I guess the upgrade path can just be selling my original Concero and buying the HD.
evil_smiley.gif

On a side note version 2.2 is crazy awesome. I actually hear improvements across the board, but especially in the bass. It's thumping harder and tighter than ever before. It's insane that software upgrades can have this much impact.

I love how Mark and company keep improving the software. It gives me so much confidence in them.
L3000.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,027 of 2,480
Quote:
M-13 How did you know what version you were on?

Oh I keep track of my updates. I have a "Concero" folder on the desktop and I keep track of all software updates. I had 2.0 before, and now I just updated to 2.2.

I did see your question but didn't answer it because I have no idea how to do a quick check for which version. I would say just update to the latest version and start keeping track from there.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #1,031 of 2,480
I must have gotten mine in June or July so no way of knowing what version I had.  I updated my Concero to 2.20 and it went fairly smoothly!  Just had to make sure the USB driver was installed and rebooted the computer beforehand.  Back in OSX and working just the same.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,032 of 2,480
You may have missed it because this thread is moving fast, but this was discussed a page or two ago: the selectable filtering/upsampling can only be applied to 44.1kHz and 48kHz material. Higher resolution tracks don't need it as they already have a higher native sample rate. If your media player let's you apply filtering to a track with a sample rate above 48kHz, then it's doing some type of added processing to downconvert the signal. You don't want that. Make sure there are no filters or anything else engaged. You want a native, bitperfect output. Once you achieve that, all media players should perform the same way.

Thanks dude :) looks like I wont be using media monkey again. It applies the filtering to everything including my 96/24bit files. Cant seem to turn it off.

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #1,033 of 2,480
So good synergy with the HD800?  The HD was described as a little more neutral/cold than the original Concero.  Anyone have the experience that this holds true with the HP?  

I was skeptical too, I asked the same question 2-3 pages back, but a few members here assured me they were good pairings, so yea i can confirm they are a excellent combo, not bright/sibilant at all, perfect if you ask me, i've had time to test the ConceroHP/HD800 alot lately with many different types of music, i've still yet to hear any sibilance even with average recordings, on another note, RL told me they use the HD800 as a benchmark when creating the Invicta/Concero, including the HP's out.

@Townyj
Use JRiver Media Center, its what most head-fiers use around here i think.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #1,034 of 2,480
Quote:
I was skeptical too, I asked the same question 2-3 pages back, but a few members here assured me they were good pairings, so yea i can confirm they are a excellent combo, not bright/sibilant at all, perfect if you ask me, i've had time to test the ConceroHP/HD800 alot lately with many different types of music, i've still yet to hear any sibilance even with average recordings, on another note, RL told me they use the HD800 as a benchmark when creating the Invicta/Concero, including the HP's out.

@Townyj
Use JRiver Media Center, its what most head-fiers use around here i think.

Thanks!  I might be moving out of the country for a bit, so I am going to reduce my audiophile setup to a single transportable device.  It is down to the Concero HP and the CEntrance HifiM8.  It is probably going to come down to absolute sound quality (HP) vs more versatility (M8).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back