Request Grado Modders Help Please.
Aug 16, 2011 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

NonApplicable

100+ Head-Fier
I sent this as a PM to Billavideo, however he doesn't seem very active as of lately so I was hoping for some outside help =)

I was reading a thread about making the SR325is sound better and I came across this post.

Quote:

Here's what you do.

1. Open the cups and vent the drivers (punch all ten holes to really unleash the tiger by increasing the airflow).
2. Damp the magnet back with something like Dynamat or BluTack.
3. Remove the plastic button from the back as it bounces HF waves right back into the presentation.
4. Remove the plastic ring stuck near the rear grill as it has no use and adds unwanted resonance.

If you will make these mods, your 325 will become the Voice of God. You will not be able to take it off. You will lose sleep because you won't want to stop listening to your music. I did this and was completely and utterly blown away.

Naturally I don't value sleep so this sound very enticing to me. I don't want to fk up my headphones(very expensive) by messing around with them without knowing what I'm doing. Is there any tutorial that outlines this process it seems somewhat complicated? This would be my first audiophile mod, I want to get it right. Can I pay people do do this?

How exactly does this make the 325is sound better. Any drawbacks? 

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 23
First off dont vent any holes after you open them. I've never been inside a 325 but quite a few people reported positive results from removing that plastic ring, I'd start there. If yiou want to vent some holes I'd start with one and work your way up, but only after you've removed that ring and put your cans back together and gave them a listen first.

That plastic button is on pretty good, so you might want to mess with that later too. Finally the SR60-mod thread part deux, like the original is open to all Grado modders. Lot's of knowledge in there. Stop on by.

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 23
I just vented my SR125s tonight if it helps. Still the same Grado sound with a fuller and more rounded low end. It compliments it perfectly. I used a tray of near-boiling water to open them just like in his guide, as well as a ball point pen.

I'm currently experimenting with different damping material in the cups, but may end up just leaving them bare inside so they can breathe.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 23
Easy peasy alu squeezy, just use torque and break it open.

What's holding you back is not trusting your own ears, that's some of the fun of modding and some of the frustration as everyone has somewhat different preferences.

Really, it's easy.. see the hole, hammer the nail in and jank up on both sides.

Then get all br00tal with the screwdriver and put the moment arm formula to good use..

The rest is all accomplished with your opposable thumbs, pressing the rest up evenly all around a couple of times and then.. the real fun/ frustration begins.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 23
I thought you were selling the 325's no? Tell us how they are after the mod. I may want to do this to my own (too scared to open it up even though I'm studying CE, they're expensive 
confused_face.gif
)

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
I thought you were selling the 325's no? Tell us how they are after the mod. I may want to do this to my own (too scared to open it up even though I'm studying CE, they're expensive 
confused_face.gif
)

Edit:I saw your post in the Grado Owners Club, I'm glad you like em' Mr.3019. Plan on ampage?

I thought so as well. Then I started really apreciating the Grado sound, it really took some to get to used to it. Wheither you believe in burn in or not, I really noticed a difference after some quality time with my SR325s. It turns out that nothing really jumped out at me for a replacement, so I'm deciding to keep em... for now.

@Albedo ... You must be joking. I can't put a nail into my Grados, much less hammer it in! Hardcore **** Bro. Why can't I pay someone to do this!?

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 23
oh, i c. You bought new? Mine already had about 2-4 years on them when I got them, so maybe thats why they sound different

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 23
nope, some pic i got off the internet :p. I plan to build a cmoy or something of that sort once i get back to school in september. I have class with a bunch of EE students, so they'll help me out hopefully :p

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
nope, some pic i got off the internet :p. I plan to build a cmoy or something of that sort once i get back to school in september. I have class with a bunch of EE students, so they'll help me out hopefully :p

Yes, mine were new.
I'm planning to go with the little dot I+ as many have recommended. I've heard great things with cmoy as well.

How are your phones? Any brightness problems? Wanted Impovements(other than soundstage)? I'm interested to hear from a fully burn in pair. I hear it takes around 300h till its done, but I didn't really notice an improvement after the 60h mark.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 23
Completely.. not the case -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/1500#post_7686113 (one suggestion to popping those Grado's). Another method is also suggested by me, there's already a hole in the plastic, driving in a nail widens the gap that's filled with glue. Using a screwdriver.. well it's partly psychological and having some control. 

I can tell you that in the back of my mind I had the notion of sending them to Canada and get a Magnum light mode by Symphones... worst case scenario.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
I posted in the SR60 Mod part II mod, and got completely ignored =(

Quote:
Completely.. not the case -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/1500#post_7686113 (one suggestion to popping those Grado's). Another method is also suggested by me, there's already a hole in the plastic, driving in a nail widens the gap that's filled with glue. Using a screwdriver.. well it's partly psychological and having some control. 

I can tell you that in the back of my mind I had the notion of sending them to Canada and get a Magnum light mode by Symphones... worst case scenario.

I think Chris answered you too. If I had a 325 NA I think the only two things I would do are remove that plastic ring and replace the plastic driver housing with a wood one. The 325 is a great headphone you just want to tweak it a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back