Replecement for ER6i?
Apr 15, 2008 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Remi M9

New Head-Fier
I bought my Etymotic ER6i's just over a year ago. For the most part I loved them.

Now, I don't know if I'm particularly rough on the earbuds or if it's just a flawed design but the connection at the minijack kept breaking for me. Roughly every 3-4 months the left or right channel would die. I sent them back for warranty repair twice. They were replaced both times no problem, second time they were sent out with a right angle mini-jack. That lasted again for 3-4 months. This time I got frustrated with the whole 3-4 week warranty process so I decided to fix them my self by soldering in a new mini-jack. It was extremely difficult, as each wire is not insulated seperately. Also each wire is has copper strands wraped around a nylon core (seemed like nylon). Very tough to solder (at least for me) I did it though, but that only lasted for a month. I am not willing to try this again.

My question is what would be a good replacement for these earbuds?

My priorities are:
1 Has to have a replaceable cord (I like the system that the SA6's have), or a heavy duty, proven to have no problems mini-jack.
2 Has to be sound isolating IEM. at the level of the ERSi's or better. (I use my earbuds when working around noisy power tools in the garage)
3 Has to sound as good or better.
4 Would be nice if they did not stick out of the ear allot
5 A clip on the wire would be nice

As to my price range. I am willing to spend the money if I have to, but I'm always weary of diminishing returns that the high priced earbuds have.

The SA6's are interesting if not a little too gimmicky (no offense to any owners)
Shure SE210 are interesting (not sure how the modular cable works on those)

Thanks for any help.

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 9
How are you wrapping or storing your IEMs. Having it break at same spot that many times might indicate you have a bad habit of unknowingly hurting your cord at that specific place. I would think, wrapping it to tight and not giving it slack at the plug.

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 9
The SA6 and all of the UE universal IEMs have user-removable cables. But they're all kind of big compared to the tiny ER-6i.

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 9
If you like the ER6i's sound, I'd recommend taking the jump up to the ER-4P IEMs. I don't think they have a user-replaceable cord, but I'm not exactly easy on 'phones and these seem pretty sturdy. With a deep seal with the tri-flange tips I get an incredible sound seal. I had to quit wearing them at work in fact, because they isolate TOO much and I can't hear a thing around me. Granted, I have pretty large ears, but these lay pretty flat to my earlobes and don't really stick out much.

The microphonics can be a bit much on these for some people, but if you're using them around power tools, you'd probably want to wear them up under your shirt, which helps reduce the cable noise.

I think Amazon has them for around $170 USD. Worth every penny in my experience. I have to wear my Sennheiser CX300's at work because they don't isolate nearly as much. I don't hate them, but man, I can't wait to get home every night and socket in the Etys!

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are you wrapping or storing your IEMs. Having it break at same spot that many times might indicate you have a bad habit of unknowingly hurting your cord at that specific place. I would think, wrapping it to tight and not giving it slack at the plug.

I don't wrap the cord around anything. I sort of fold it a few times on it's self.

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 9
I'd take a look at the UE 5Pro's if I were you. Very decent headphone for the price and the cables are replacable. Also comes with a case to store these in so they are better protected from whatever you're doing to your Ety's...

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Go for the er4 if you like the sound of er6, it's really tough. I wish I used er6 before my purchase of er4 and possibly now I can appreciate er4 more.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SA6 and all of the UE universal IEMs have user-removable cables. But they're all kind of big compared to the tiny ER-6i.

SA6 is about the same size as ER6i, just the removable cable jack that makes it looks bigger (but this can't be counted as a downside, right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back