Replacing Stolen My Ety ER4-PT w/ Custom Fit Tips - Shure 535, Westone 4R, Other?
Jun 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sullivbt

New Head-Fier
All;

Noob poster here, but long time music listener :). Anyway, my ER4-PTs w/ custom molded tips just got stolen and I need to replace them. While I totally LOVED the clarity and "uncolored" (i.e. neutral) sound of the ER4's, I totally HATED the way the phones and cables stick straight out of my ears; it makes them hard to work out or run in (in addition to the terrible microphonics from the cable). One thing I have determined is that my next phones MUST have custom fit sleeves - I will NOT go back to "off the shelf" sleeves. 

So, the question is: is there a roughly $500 'phone that:

1) Is comfortable to wear while workign out or running (I like Shure's "over the ear" design for this)
2) Offers/accepts custom molded tips/sleeves
3) Has sound quality at least AS GOOD AS my ER4-PT's (i.e clarity and crispness, I do not like "muddy" or "muffled")
4) Does not "color" the audio sound too much (I like to hear my music the way the artist recorded it - I am NOT a basshead :)

Any thoughts/recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 6
I'd recommend buying another ER4. Sound doesn't really get much better than that. The ER4S is my end game IEM.

You can buy adapters to turn it into an over the ear design like mine:

You can buy the adapter here:
www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300592438512&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I used a Westone Epic cable but you can use any Westone compatible cable.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 6
Great idea, zowki! To be hones, I had no idea that the cable on the Etymotic's was even removable, nor did I  know that such an adaptor even existed. Got any suggestions for a replacement cable? 

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Great idea, zowki! To be hones, I had no idea that the cable on the Etymotic's was even removable, nor did I  know that such an adaptor even existed. Got any suggestions for a replacement cable? 

I use and recommend the Westone Epic cable since it has no microphonics, is flexible, and durable.

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 6
thanks zowki! sorry to keep asking quesitons, but do you have any experience with the plusSound cables ? (http://www.plussoundaudio.com/iemcables.html)

looks like plusSound makes custom aftermarket cables for the Ety's that already have that Westone adaptor built in - i was wondering if a custom cable might offer any sonic advantage over the "regular" Westone cable.

thanks again for your guidance on this topic!

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 6
thanks zowki! sorry to keep asking quesitons, but do you have any experience with the plusSound cables ? (http://www.plussoundaudio.com/iemcables.html)

looks like plusSound makes custom aftermarket cables for the Ety's that already have that Westone adaptor built in - i was wondering if a custom cable might offer any sonic advantage over the "regular" Westone cable.

thanks again for your guidance on this topic!

No problem, I'm glad I can be of help.

To me, cables make little to no difference to sound. I doubt that the plusSound cable will provide much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back