Replacing ATH-ANC7's (Audio-technica NC headphones); need suggestions
Oct 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jflail2

New Head-Fier
Hey guys:

Just joined the forums today, as my Audio Technica noise cancelling headphones just died on me at work today, and I'm looking for replacement suggestions.  Some background/ thoughts to start the conversation:

Usage:

I will be using these solely at work.  I work in a somewhat noisy office where conversations are constantly taking place, so my headphones help me to zone out and get into my "excel groove".  As such, I feel rather naked with no NC headphones currently and would like to get a replacement set ordered ASAP.

Limitations:

1.) I am absolutely NOT able to wear IEMs.  I absolutely can't stand the feeling of something stuck in my ear.  I wish I was able to tolerate the feeling, but I'm not, so please don't recommend anything I'm going to have to cram into my ear.

2.)  Price:  I'd rather keep the price of these below $200 if possible.  These are for office use only, so I'd like to keep the price reasonable.  That being said, I am open to suggestions above that price if they are truly worth the difference.

Prior Exposure:

Not much.  I've had a few pairs of Sennheiser in the past, including a pair of 485s and a pair of the 100's (the little tiny guys.)    These Audio Technicas are all I've used at work for the past 3 years, so my exposure is obviously minimal.  I'm more of a HT guy at home, with a Denon receiver pushing a Polk Audio setup.

Thoughts:

1.)  I want headphones that will provide me with a high level of isolation. Basically, I'd like to be able to turn my music on and not hear the folks blabbering on around me.

2.)  I've read quite a few posts on NC headphones prior to posting this, and it sounds like closed ear headphones would be a good alternative to these, and would have better sound quality to boot.  Any recommendations for a close ear set that would NOT leak much sound, and possibly give me better sound quality while still pretty much isolating me from my department?

3.)  My work music is a very wide mix; everything from classical (orchestral to piano), metal, hip hop/rap, alternative, soundtracks; pretty much anything depending on my mood at work that day.

4.)  I'd prefer a set that I DON'T need an amp for.

5.)  I'd like a set I could wear for LONG periods at a time.  On a good day, I wear my cans about 5-6 hours per workday.  So comfort is huge.

So in summary, I need a replacement set of headphones for my now dead ATH-ANC7's, and am wide open to suggestions, as long as they are not in ear models.

I hope I've laid out the basic information I think you'd need to provide me with an informed opinion, but I can certainly expound as needed.

Thanks, and glad to be part of the forums!

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 11
Ok, so from what I've read on here it sounds like these might be good options:

Shure SRH440 (or 840 if they're not too bulky)

Senn 595 or 555

Sounds like Grados are nice, but would let too much sound leak out.  I'd rather not share with my colleagues
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm trying the Denon AH-NC732's right now, but I don't like the feel of on ear headphones, so these are right out...

Any comprable recommendations or input would be appreciated.  I'd be interested in other brands that I may be missing out on right now.

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 11
Did you particularly like the ANC7s?  How about ANC7b?

The Goldring NS1000 are very similar.  They're made by the same OEM as the ANC7 and are a very similar design.  I wouldn't recommend anything open - so that gets rid of HD595 and HD555.

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 11
I liked the ANC7's for the noise cancelling aspect.  Sound quality could have been improved, which is why I was curious if a closed pair would get me close enough to the isolation I need and still provide me with better sound quality.  The AT's were a bit muddled at times, and the sound was horrendous if I didn't have the noise cancelling feature turned on, which could be annoying.

From your sig, it looks like you have those Goldrings.  What are your thoughts in regards to all day comfort?

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 11
The M50's or the DT770 Pro may work for you in the isolation factor. What type of music do you listen to?

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 11
My music tastes vary a good bit on a daily basis, but mostly rock and alternative.  I do enjoy classical and soundtracks when work gets extra hectic.

I guess I'd prefer a warm, clear sound over something that is "boomy".  Definitely NOT a basehead if that helps.

The Beyers you mentioned are intriguing as that's not a brand I've tried before.

I do see a couple of different options on Amazon and honestly am not sure what's different among:

the DT 770-Pro, DT 770 Pro-80, DT 770 Stereo and DT 770 Premium 32 Ohm.

All look to be between 175 and 200.  I'm fine with the price, but wasn't sure what the differences are in these models.  Is there a "best of" among those 4?

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 11
The Pro isolates better because it puts more force on your head.

On second thought, though, the DT770 are very bassy and very boomy, so I don't think you're going to like them. The DT150 and DT250 are supposed to be very good for classical music, and have a very wide soundstage, but they are pricier (I have a DT150 coming in the mail).

Hmmmm...it's hard to find something that's good for orchestral music, but also isolates. Isolation typically means very closed and clampy, which reduces the soundstage that makes orchestral music sound good. The AKG K271 MKII, maybe (although I don't know about isolation on these).

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Interesting.  I had a friend recommend those Beyers as well, so I was curious.  I do not like excessive base for long term listening, so I may have to pass on them unfortunately.

And I'm aware that I may not find the perfect set for my work environment, so I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality for isolation...

The Senn HD280s were recommended to me by a colleague, and are relatively cheap.  So maybe those or some of the Shure 480s?

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
I liked the ANC7's for the noise cancelling aspect.  Sound quality could have been improved, which is why I was curious if a closed pair would get me close enough to the isolation I need and still provide me with better sound quality.  The AT's were a bit muddled at times, and the sound was horrendous if I didn't have the noise cancelling feature turned on, which could be annoying.

From your sig, it looks like you have those Goldrings.  What are your thoughts in regards to all day comfort?

I find them very comfortable.  However - the ergonomics appear very similar to ANC7s.  The Goldrings have the same issue regarding noise cancelling off and bass.  However it's tidied up a lot with suitable amplification.  I take it you realise that the ANR circuitry acts as a built in amp?

I read a forum post from a UK Hi-fi dealer who had tried both and he preferred the ANC7s althogh said there is not a lot in it.  I heard that one of the main design changes for the ANC7b is making them easier to drive in passive mode.

My main advice would be to try before you buy, if possible.  I've tried to 'upgrade' from these Goldring NS1000s several times only to get rid of the more expensive headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back