Replacement parts for Beyerdynamic DT990 circa mid-90s
Dec 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hiplytragic

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of DT990s that I bought awhile ago and I'm wondering if they are worth repairing and if parts are available. One channel is blown (an unfortunate incident involving my wife and the stereos' volume control) and pads and head band need replacing. I am hoping to revive these so I am looking for a parts distributor in North America (preferably Canada).

Any suggestions?

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 5
I still have a pair of DT990 circa 1990. I've also got a new pair of DT990 last year. The differences are subtle to me, so you should keep them.

Unfortunatly, it's not cost effective to bring them to a dealer for repair. Fortunatly, it's easy to fix them by yourself.

You could buy a used pair for cheap and keep one of them for backup parts, like a channel...

The headband is easy to replace by a thicker material.

If you search on this website, you'll also find how to repad the cushions. They're probably flat by now, wich is not good for comfort and sound quality.

All it takes is a little time and you'll be happy with result, I have no doubt about it.

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Well it turns out I don't have a blown driver after all! At least I don't think so. It seems it was simply the driver rattling a bit because the foam insert had worn out and was not properly retaining the driver in the casing. Boy do I feel silly now but I am glad I did not throw them out.
redface.gif

At any rate, all I need is a new headband, new ear pads (with foam inserts
biggrin.gif
). I am pretty sure I'll find this on-line but for now I cannibalized a pair of DT331s for the head band & pads plus I jury rigged the foam inserts by cutting up some terry cloth.

I had forgotten how good these sound. Happy, happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back