Replacement for Philips SHE9500
Dec 29, 2010 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sdcmunich

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a replacement for my Philips SHE9500, but this is the second time I lose the left side because of a cable problem at the neck split, so it is time for a change.
Even though the sound was quite OK to me.

I am mostly listening to jazz, I don't like very strong bass.
This is mostly for using during commutes, so durability (especially cables) is important and good isolation would be a nice plus.

After doing some research, it looks like if I stay in the same price range, the Klipsch Image X1 (25 €) or the Sennheiser CX 300 II (35 €) could be good candidates. The Klipsch doesn't look very sturdy, though, and I read that the CX 300 has strong bass, not mentioning this issue with the fakes.
Other companies such as Denon or Sony are around the same price, but I can't find any review of their headphones.

Would you have some tips in that price range? How would the SHE9500 rate compared to these headsets, by the way?

I might also consider more expensive headsets, such as the Etymotic MC5 (70 €) or Shure SE115 (75 €), but only if the difference in sound quality/sturdiness makes it worth spending double the money.

Thanks for your feedback!

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 4
After some more research, I am taking the Sennheiser and Shure out of the picture.
I replace them in the mix by the Soundmagics, Klipsch S4 and JVC FXC80, meaning that I am now considering the following:

Klipsch X1 (25 €), SoundMagic PL30 (30 €), Klipsch S4 (50 €), SoundMagic PL50 (50 €, but only from an Amazon shop totalling 4 reviews), JVC FXC80 (60 €), Etymotic MC5 (70 €)

I don't really want to take the risk to buy from an unknown shop, else the PL50 would be my first choice - but maybe someone knows another place to order it from in Europe?

Then, I would consider the X1 and PL30 because of the price difference with the rest.
Has someone tried both and can tell how they compare?

Your advice is welcome!

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Etymotic MC5 are more detailed in mids, highs and they are not bassy as S4, CX300..........

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 4
If you ask me, I'd take a pass on the MC5 and SE115, both were among the most disappointing IEMs I've bought. Go for some PL30s, they are very nice for jazz, natural and pretty balanced (leave the bass knob at the default flat setting) with good soundstage and comfort. Btw I prefer them to the more expensive PL50 which sound less natural to my ears. One more thing, if you buy from a place like Focalprice they're much cheaper. I've bought several pairs from them and never had any trouble. Shipping may take some time though, but they always arrived safely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back