Replacement for Denon D2000
Jun 24, 2017 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mcpencil

New Head-Fier
Hey all!

My Denon D600s just died. Before that, I had D2000s, which I liked better. I'm looking for a replacement set, with a similar overall sound signature to the D2000s. I mainly listen to non-basshead electronic music like Todd Terje, Lindstrom, M83, Royksopp, etc.

Some youtube links of typical music:

I think i'd rather have something that makes this sort of music sound warm and engaging (yet with open soundstage and good clarity), rather than being obsessed with a neutral sound. As cringeworthy as it is to admit, my audio source is usually pretty bad... youtube, soundcloud... but occasionally some decent quality audio files (192 - 320 kbps)... so I'd probably need headphones that are forgiving of the source. I use a FIIO E10 amp. Also, going to be extensively used for gaming. Used exclusively for home pc listening.

I think I'd prefer closed headphones, because I don't want people in other rooms hearing what I'm listening to... but there's a chance I'd go for open headphones. Will people in the next room (with door closed) be able to hear anything if I'm listening at moderate volume with open phones?

So I'm after something that isn't worse than D2000s, with a similar sound signature, that brings out the best in the types of music above. Also, must be comfortable on the ears! Budget is approx $150 - $250 USD.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 2
Hey all!

My Denon D600s just died. Before that, I had D2000s, which I liked better. I'm looking for a replacement set, with a similar overall sound signature to the D2000s. I mainly listen to non-basshead electronic music like Todd Terje, Lindstrom, M83, Royksopp, etc.
I think i'd rather have something that makes this sort of music sound warm and engaging (yet with open soundstage), rather than being obsessed with a neutral sound.
As cringeworthy as it is to admit, my audio source is usually pretty bad... youtube, soundcloud... but occasionally some decent quality audio files (192 - 320 kbps). I use a FIIO E10 amp. Also, going to be extensively used for gaming.

I think I'd prefer closed headphones, because I don't want people in other rooms hearing what I'm listening to. So I'm after something that isn't worse than D2000s, with a similar sound signature. Also, must be comfortable on the ears! Budget is approx $150 - $250 USD.

Thanks for your help!
Have not heard a D2000, sorry, but I think you ought to consider a MEZE 99 Classics. It is smooth, slightly warmish on top, and very engaging, IMO. Fun. It ticks off several of your boxes. Is quite beautiful to look at as well. Definitely worth a look-see. FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back