Replacement Earpads for Sony MDRZX700?
Nov 10, 2012 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mongo149

New Head-Fier
So I've recently bought these from the Sony Canada website on sale for only $70, and sparing a long review I'll just say that I like everything about them except for their comfort level. My gripe is that my ears must stick out a little more than the average person, so the shallow earcups on these are really uncomfortable. The earpads are soft to the extent that they squish practically flat so that the cans don't clamp too much but the shallow earcups are especially noticeable. I'm pretty sure this would be easily remedied with a different set of thicker earpads, but I have no idea if such a thing exists for these, and if they do, where to find it. I'm still on the 30-day return policy, so I'd like to find out now whether or not this is fixable. If not I'll just return them and keep searching. Hopefully one of you out there knows!

Thanks,
Alex

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 15
That's good to know! Do you find they're more comfortable now? My problem with these headphones as they are now is that the ear cups are too shallow, so the ends of my ears get really irritated after a while; the pads don't do any good in that sense. Do the SRH940 pads give the cups any more depth, to fix this problem?

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Ya, they are much more comfortable. My ears don't touch the drivers anymore, so I can wear them for longer. The velour ear pad material on the srh940 is soft and doesn't irritate the skin as much as the stock Sony faux leather ear pads. The only issue I see for anyone changing the pads is that the replacement pads add a more open sound, so if you want a bit more soundstage, it's great, but if you want the sound isolation, maybe try another set of earpads.

Edited: Meant to say sound isolation, not noise isolation.......why would you want to isolate noise......? =|

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 15
awesome! i have the same problem, going to give these a try

for anyone else, i found them on amazon for a reasonable price (cheapest it seems with the free shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC940-Replacement-Velour-Headphones/dp/B005OM06RG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352910970&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+replacement+pads

any tips on replacing them? anything i should look out for?

thanks

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 15
Well, the only tip is if you have any problems slipping the ear pads in, just use a business card or thin card-type item to help the lip of the ear pads slip into the grooves of the headphone cups.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 15
Got them and went on smoothly, the credit card tip worked well.

they fit pretty well.. they are a tad more round than they should be but fit well enough.

my ears finally have room!

they feel a little tighter but i expect after a week or so for them to become really comfortable and the pads to take the shape of the cups.. 

def worth the change

Thanks!

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 15
hmm im probably not the best person to judge that, but i know when i first tossed them on it seemed like they sounded a little different.. but now that i've used them a few days feels the same.. 

and yeah, the velour pads (link to where i got them above)

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 15
Got the new pads yesterday, they fit, feel and sound great. I agree that they're slightly too round but it's almost not noticeable. They're very comfortable and I didn't notice any change in sound or isolation... although I'm not the best judge, since before I got the new earpads I was mainly listening to a different set of headphones, so I couldn't exactly contrast the two. Anyway, these are perfect, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back