Replacement cable: 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male, long, 3-button remote + mic?
Feb 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

archagon

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! I'm looking for a replacement 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable for my MDR-1RBT headphones. There's nothing wrong with the current cable, but it would be super nice to have 3-button remote and mic functionality for when the battery is down, or for when I'm gaming and need the lower latency + mic. (The default cable comes with no remote, and the headphones' built-in controls and mic don't work when not using Bluetooth.) The current cable is around 60" long, so that would be ideal.

V-MODA has a cable that almost fits the bill, but it has only one button, which means the volume can't be adjusted. (They used to have a 3-button remote as well but it doesn't look like they sell it anymore.) Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much else, aside from shady grey market imports on eBay. Anyone have any leads?

(Not posting this in the cable forum because I'm not looking for anything fancy — just a simple, functional replacement for <= $30.)

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Update: it looks like many headphone manufacturers offer replacement cables on their websites, even though they don't show up on Google. Here are a few potential sources I found:

Beats has a replacement cable. There's also a cheaper version on Amazon, supposedly genuine. Length: 47 inches, though I've seen different measurements elsewhere.

Bowers & Wilkins has some much sexier replacements. Unfortunately, it looks like the input plug is 2.5mm, though that can probably be corrected with an adaptor. Length: 47 inches, supposedly.

The Sennheiser Momentum has a really nice cable, albeit with a 2.5mm plug on one end. Super, super expensive, though.

Logitech has a replacement cable for their UE headphones. 43 inches. (Thanks, [zero]!)

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 5
I had the Beats replacement when my cat chewed through it on my Monster cans and it worked fine. Remember if it works at all it's gonna work on every pair. The headphones just receive the signal, the cable is sending it down to the input device, it doesn't matter what the output device is. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 5
I've also been conducting the same search (although I'd prefer something closer to 4 ft). Logitech sells a 43" cable for the UE 4000/6000/9000 (pic here). Personally, I'd like something closer to the B&W or Senn cables, but it looks like I might just settle for the UE cable.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the info! I really like that one, though it's a bit expensive once you factor in shipping. (It also looks like there's a version with a black remote and blue cables, which I like a lot less.) I'll add it to the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back