replace my Sennheiser EH2200 for DJ purposes
Mar 8, 2002 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

olafmol

New Head-Fier
Hello,

currently i use a Sennheiser EH2200 for DJ'ing...these work fine...but when the room volume is turned up i often cannot hear enough of the sound from my headphones when monitoring.....so i guess i have to buy some new ones that can go louder, on the other hand i also don't want to damage my ears if possible...so it has to be a payoff... i guess isolation also has something to do with this..although i feel the EH2200's give good isolation...but i cannot compare with other headphones..

my first question: how come that different mixers give me different volume? most venue's i DJ have pioneer mixers, and these are the ones that give me the problems when needing loud monitoring....at home i have a studiomixer for my studio, a behringer eurorack, and i have the idea that this mixer gives me much more power to my headphones....i guess this has to do with impedance?

second question: so i am looking for a louder headphone..soundquality is irrelevant at this kind of volumes, it's only for monitoring while beatmixing...i need to have a decent low, mid and high freq to hear the different sounds though..

i am looking at the Sony MDR700DJ, cause they seem to be able to get very loud...although i am not sure if they can go louder than my EH2200's? i guess they have more Watts?

another alternative would be the new Sennheiser HD280's....but only if these can deliver more loudness than my current EH2200....

last point: to me it's important that the cups go OVER the ears instead of ON the ears..i've heard different stories about the MDR700DJ's about this aspect......

please help me out! thanx!

Olaf

Mar 8, 2002 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 14
HD 280 might be the one. Although, they're not the most efficient (loud) phones out there they offer IMO the best sound rejection of any closed full sized phones I've heard so far. They're even comparable to Sony EX70, which are in the ear type of closed buds. This is much better than to use higher SPLs which will at the end damage your hearing.

Everyone here (me included) will tell you to stay away from Sony V700 DJ. Yes these are very efficient but the sound is boomy and hollow. If you're sure that you will never ever use the phones for listening to music they may be OK though.

PS: I use the same Behringer mixer and I agree that the phone amp of this one has a good amount of power. Haven't heard the Pioneers, but the difference is simply because different mixers use phone amps with different power.

Mar 8, 2002 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 14
thanx for the reply! isolation seems like a much nicer way then higher SPLs indeed

i don't really care about soundquality....i do my monitoring on Tanny Reveal active's and AKG headphones...so that's not an issue...i use these phones purely for DJ'ing..

Olaf

Mar 8, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 14
For listening to music, the V700 are eek! But for DJing, it's a different story.

I just compared the V6 and the V700 out of a Pioneer DJM500. Both go _extremely_ loud. With the volume at half-way, I'd be scared to listen for more than 5 minutes. If you don't find these models loud enough, you are deaf
smily_headphones1.gif

At Xtreme volume, they show pretty much the same characteristics as usual, but more apparent. The V6 treble becomes very pronounced and it has quite a bite. The bass is still very much present, but appears more recessed than at low volume. With the V700, it's the opposite: the treble fades away and the bass dominates. So if you beatmatch using the bass-kick and you need extreme volume, the V700 seem more effective. But if you beatmatch using the treble, I'd go for the V6.

A little note. The V6 are 63-Ohms, 106dB/mW. The V700DJ are 24-Ohms and 107dB/mW. Both sounded about as loud for a given volume setting... The V6 are rated to 1W, while the V700DJ are rated to 3W. Make of this what you want.

Mar 8, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 14
desben, thanx for your info, but i was aware about the fact that the sony MDR700DJ can go very loud......what i wanna know:

how the HD280 compares to the EH2200 in max loudness?

how the HD280 compares to the Sony MDR700DJ in max loudness?

thanx again! Olaf

Mar 8, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 14
I spin, i go by dj r3cc0s
lol

anyways...

isolation is more important than spl

the v6 go mightly loud, but most importantly, they block out sound

you won't lose your hearing

the v6 is great cause of high treble detail for spinning accupella's, and drum and bass

however, the deep bass responce will also provide ease of usage especially for beat matching, and mixing

v6 will provide loudness if necessary, but it isn't because it can isolatate.

plus they are tough as nails and cheap right now

Mar 8, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 14
this line of questioning scares me. The idea that you are trying to get the loudest sound possible really makes me think that you are going to damage your hearing. I would definately look into headphones that give good isolation, and maybe it would be possible to wear etymotic ear plugs with closed phones (I, not being a DJ don't know if this is practical or would even work) to quiet everything down but still be able to hear the headphones. I don't think that the problem with loudness is the headphone however, I think it is more a problem with what is driving the headphones. I think that the headphone you have now should be able to go plenty loud, given enough amplification.

Please be careful with your hearing though.

Driftwood

Mar 8, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 14
Driftwood, etys wouldn't work for DJing: you need to be able to put the headphones on and get them off very often. You often switch from your headphones to your booth monitor/club speakers.

Protecting one's hearing is important, but have you been in a dance club recently? Sound is very loud. 100dB, 110dB, 120dB? With this as background noise, you need to hear what's in the headphones clearly. This means that the stuff in the headphones needs to be a few dBs louder than the club. Now, even with the best headphones, isolation is about 20dB. This means your headphones need to still put out 100dB: very loud. The good news is that you don't need to have your headphones on all the time.

Still. DJing can be bad for hearing, just like being part of a heavy-metal band.

Mar 9, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 14
well, I am not sure if you followed me exactly, but I am not sure it would make much of a difference. I was talking about the ER-20, which is supposed to reduce all frequencies about equally, but still allow you to hear. I though wearing these under closed phones would allow you to hear the headphones while still quieting everything down a little, and if you took off the headphones, you still might be able to hear someone shouting at you even with the ER-20s? I am not really sure though, this is all guessing...

Any not being a DJ I don't really know how things work, so take this for what it is worth.

Driftwood

Mar 9, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 14
I assume you have come here because my other posts on other forums, yes?

I really do honestly think that the HD280 Pro's will be the best choice for you.... they isolate an ungodly 32 dB, and should also get plenty loud without much power, to boot!! Just get them, and save your hearing in the process, lol!!

And I would also suggest the ER20's.... but not for WHILE you have the headphone on! Use them all the OTHER times in the club! Instead, I would simply have them on in the club while you DON'T have the headphone on! These suckers let quiet sounds pass through, don't muffle the highs, but make LOUD sounds safe to listen to! That means that you can still hear the music perfectly well, but you have a sort of AVLS that keeps your ears from getting hurt!! I just bought a set of the red/transparent ones, with the red cord, and these suckers are great!! Use the HD280 Pro's when you need headphones, and the ER20's when you don't, if you wanna save your hearing!

Mar 10, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 14
Hey olafmol,

I would highly suggest staying away from those V700DJ's. Being a previous owner, I wouldn't suggest them upon anyone. They are not completely circumaural, and sit on top of your ears. They isolate fairly well, but are damn uncomfortable.

Here are a few options that I am weighing right now. Anyone have any further comments on any of these, while we are on the subject?

Audio Technica ATH-M40
Beyerdynamic DT250-80
Ministry of Sound IXOS DJ 1001
Sony V-6/7506
Technics RP-DJ 1200

Basically, I'm not too sure about which of those is the better choice for me, but any one of the above would be a better choice for either me or you than the V700DJ's. Yuck.

Mar 10, 2002 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 14
If some mixers can't drive your phones loud enough perhaps you can buy a dedicated portable headphone amp, e.g. Total Airhead, Porta Corda?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 12, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 14
^bump^

So, anyone got any comments on the headphones I listed? I see that there is another thread going on about DJ headphones. These, along with those Sennheiser HD25's seem like the most likely candidates.

Anyone with any comments on these phones? ANYONE?

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 14
The Technics RPDJ1210s are awesome quality headphones. I cant really comment with any certaintly on their suitability as DJ headphones but I believe they would adequately perform. Robust, cups rotate, moderate isolation, and totally crystal clear sound with expanding cord. They have lasted me for years although the cups are wearing out now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back