Replace my 'phone cable or buy new 'phones??
Oct 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Mike K

New Head-Fier
I have a 10 yo pair of Senn HD600s.  I like them.  They sound fine to me.  But I'm SURE they can be improved!!  I just know it!

So here's the options I have investigated, and I'd like your opinions thereon.

1.  Buy a replacement cable.  There are 4 I've found:  One from Cardas, one from TTVJ  (the Cable Pro Ear Candy V3 model; others
are just ridiculously expensive), and 2 from Moon Audio (one with copper wire, one with silver wire).  The Moon Audio cables are
also fairly expensive but if they are that good I'm willing to pay.  Will a replacement cable make an appreciable audible difference?
Are there other replacement cables I should consider?

2.  Buy different 'phones.  I'm considering the Senn HD650 and the AKG 702 (because it has a detachable cord).  Are either
of these a significant improvement over the HD600?  Are there other 'phones in this price range that are this good that I shold
consider?

Pertinent peripheral facts:  the rest of the system is a Bryston BCD-1 cd player and a Singlepower PPX3 (6cg7 version) amp.
I listen almost exclusively to acoustic music, primarily small group jazz, folk, bluegrass, some classical, and am particularly
enamored of solo acoustic guitar and piano.  I do enjoy 40s-70s "classic" country also.

Your opinions and other advice greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back