Repeated Audeze EL-8 Failures / Poor Build Quality
Dec 7, 2017 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

dmb2686

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been using the Audeze EL-8 closed back's for about 2 years, and have unfortunately experienced my 4th failure with them. At this point, I've largely given up on the "lower" end Audeze (i.e. non-LCD line), and wanted to quickly share my experience with the units and with Audeze's customer service over this timeframe.

I consider myself a somewhat heavy user; I use the headphones at work, so nearly 5 days a week for multiple hours a day. Furthermore, I probably take them on and off 10x+ times per day.

My first set arrived in Dec 2015. Out of the box, I felt they sounded pretty harsh at the high end and somewhat lacking at the low end (definitely no "Audeze Slam" I've heard around here), but after some burn in and EQ adjustments I was pleased with the sound (moreso than the PM-3's I had tried). Unfortunately, after ~4 months (March 16), I experienced an issue where the plastic brackets separated from the metal headband. It looks like the screw attachments failed due to a weak weld, which was leading to the whole bracket separating (see attached image, gap on the left side between the metal band and the plastic bracket). This eventually would have broken off entirely.

77oGgaHr.jpg

jR27n

I filed a warranty claim with Audeze, and after paying for my own return shipping for the defective headphones, Audeze sent me a new set of EL-8. Customer service was very quick, responsive, and understanding, and sent me a new pair quickly (although I don't believe I should have had to pay for the return shipping).

The second set was brand new with a newer manufacturing date, and to be honest, sounded WAY better. The harshness at the top end was gone, and the overall effect was much warmer. Better punch as well. Unfortunately, these second sets failed shortly. After 6 months (now late 2016), the right ear cup started developing a bit of a rattle in higher bass songs. Some basic showed it to be most prominent ~50 hz. This was very distracting for anyone who cares a lot about their music.

Again, submitted a warranty claim and got a quick replacement. Customer support was very friendly and supportive.

The third set arrived, but also began to show physical signs of failure (now Oct 2017). The plastic brackets underneath the headband were starting to crack in multiple places at different angles (see below). I did a quick forum search and saw what eventually happens to them if left unchecked (see here, post #85 https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fatal-flaw-with-audeze-el-8.764120/page-6) and promptly set up another warranty claim. Customer service was again quick, and didn't even ask for any pictures of what had happened, leading me to believe this was a common occurrence. I expressed my concern with the durability considering this was my second headband failure, and the rep told me (quoted from my email):

"Unfortunately, that's really a matter of random chance. The issue with the EL-8s, as I am sure you are aware, is that they are largely made of plastic which, due to the amount of tension placed on them, can cause the cracking issues that you have experienced. It is possible that if you were to receive a replacement pair you may experience a similar issue in the future. "

So, the fourth set finally arrived in November 2017. After a couple weeks, I unfortunately started to notice the same rattling in the right ear cup that I had experienced on set #2. By week 3 of use, the right driver completely died. I tried multiple sources, multiple cables, no luck.

So here I am, with my fourth set of broken EL-8's. I've spoken with customer service, and so far their only option is to replace with another EL-8, make me pay more for a different set (I need closed-back, so will only consider the LCD-X), or eat my loss and accept a cheaper unit (i.e. Sine) in exchange for my defective EL-8's.

I'm not writing this to slam Audeze or their service, but am very, VERY, suspect about their build quality for the lower end units. Sound on the newer units was great, but durability for someone who wants to use them daily is just not there. While I thought I may have just had a lemon, 4 failures proves to me that it is a systemic design/manufacturing flaw. I hope this helps anyone considering EL-8's for daily use; they just don't last.

John

Attachments

• 20160311_113724.jpg
    20160311_113724.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back