Renovated and modded akg k140 baby sextetts
Dec 18, 2010 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pjc68

Head-Fier
Hi
Bought a pair of closed back akg k140 headphones off ebay cheap.
So i thought i will mod these bigtime with new parts and swap the cable for kimber pbj and fit kimber tcss single strand cable for the
right side as i wanted to keep these single entry and transform them into vented ones.

Parts list (all new)
2 x new capsules with sextett drivers and pads (fitted new foam in backs as old foam had rotted)
2 x k240 elastics (slightly shorter but work great without squeezing your head)
2 x k240 damper discs for back (didnt want foam)
2 x new k140 vented open backs (new in brown paper)
2 x k240 foam discs for under pads (cut to size)
1 x left name plate silver (akg k140 made in austria 600 ohms etc)
1 x right nameplate black (akg logo)
2m of kimber pbj interconnect cable (stiff and microphonic but worth the trouble)
few inches of kimber tcss cable red and black (for right driver to steel headband)
1 x neutrik nickel 1/4 inch plug
leaded wondersolder (4% silver)
deoxit d5 (for cleaning contacts etc)

Took everything apart and give everywhere a good clean as the perished foam was like gunk everywhere
fitted and soldered everything and fired them up
my first impressions were "have i done the right thing" although they sounded better they wre suffering from lack of burn in
and the pbj was very microphonic when it tapped against something (learned to stay still)
after 4 weeks of playing then through the radio 24/7 they are sounding a hell of a lot better, the cables have burned in but i know
that akg drivers are a bitch to burn in, so i know by the end of january they will be burned in 100% (i hope)
popcorn.gif

They remind me of a grado without the harshness and in yer face sonic signature, they blow my grado sr60 away for SQ and seem
to like analogue recordings like 60,s bob dylan etc
They are really good at tonality and acoustic material, even simple rock like the white stripes
the soundstage seems to have widened and imaging has improved and there is no fatiguing whilst listening.
will post back more finding at the end of january 2011 as they will have had 2 and a half months of burn in.

Her are some pictures (taken with mobile phone)

Left side

Now right

Kimber pbj and neutrik jack

Plugged into my xcan v2 with pink floyd mod kit, alps volume knob and jalco headphone socket

After all that i feel it was worthwhile doing, now it,s just a matter of time before my k240 late production sextetts get the same treatment (muuusssst reeesssiiiissst).

Please feel free to comment as i know people on here have these headphones and would like some feedback.

paddy
atsmile.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 3
The vintage K140s are great cans with mods, but unless you had the Sextett drivers from a K141 or K240 Sextett, the stock K140 drivers are not Sextetts.  They're still great headphones and it's amazing how good a $35-$55 used headphone can sound.  My hats off to you though, you went above and beyond on those dudes!  When the stock pads fail or get too flat, Senn HD25 pleather pads work well as a replacement. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back