Removing driver-protecting fabrics on HD800 seems make sound better...
Mar 18, 2010 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

wnmnkh

Headphoneus Supremus
Yes, similar to what some people have done on their HD6x0 : taking off driver-protecting 'foam' 'fabric' for clearer sound.

I was washing the headband and pads of HD800, and I thought about this.

It seems there is some slight improvement on detail. The thing is fabric on HD800 is, IMO, worse than foam used on HD6x0 which blocks sound more.

Only downside is that you need to more careful with headphones with more exposed drivers (they are still protected by silk even without fabric)

Since this can be done in less than a minute and reverse-able, I suggest everyone who owns HD800 give it a try.

Edit : so, many people are arguing about K70x all the time. Changed the title to make more interesting.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An even more detailed HD800.. Heading into Q10/High end stax territory?

No, removing the fabrics does not add more high to intolerable level (which usually perceived as 'detail')

It just makes sound more clear. Add to that, for some reason bass response has gotten a bit better as well. (but not in overwhelming level, of course)

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, that's one comparison I really want to read. Qualia 010 Vs HD800.

Asr compared them on another forum (can't say more without having the post deleted and being chastised for it). He preferred the Qualia.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 23
If you are using a poorly-matched amplifier or one that does not yield much detail, removing the cloth will give the impression of such. I initially tried this when I first got the HD800 and didn't have high-end gear. But if you have a well-matched amp and a high-end source, this is absolutely unnecessary and extremely detrimental to the neutrality of the headphone. What I found to improve the tonal balance of the phone was to add a small piece of shirt cloth to the inside of the mesh surrounding the driver.

BTW, are you sure that is silk covering the driver? I thought it was a very thin wire mesh. Silk could rip.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 23
The evil sennheiser engineers have spoiled purposely the sound by adding foam.
And if sennheiser/AKG/stax engineers read head-fi regularly they'll improve their work drastically. No more foam, no more "cheap" cables, no more non-wood housings, no more unbalanced cans...

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only downside is that you need to more careful with headphones with more exposed drivers (they are still protected by silk even without fabric)

Do you mean you have another layer of cloth behind the fabrics?
Mine doesn' t seem to have anything else to protect it behind the fabrics.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tbh, removing the protecting foam in any headphone improves the sound. It's like removing the protective grill off a speaker. Same concept.

Same concept, but different drawback. On a speaker baffle the sound waves get reflected just once (which is harmful nonetheless). Whereas in headphones they are reflected multiple times. Which leads to a smearing of transients. I've heard a sonic improvement by removing the foam on the HD 600, but also the cold glare that comes with it and the worsening of imaging and the (corresponding) reduction of sonic depth. So I put the foam pads back in. With the HD 800 I notice the same effect, just that I perceive it as predominantly negative. The sound gets cold, imaging is drastically worsened, and the soundstage loses a lot of its threedimensionality. Anyway: If you want to make an electrostatic out of the HD 800, go on with this mod!
icon10.gif
It's actually the same effect: multiple reflections within the earpieces and between driver and ears/head skin (instead of multiple reflections on the stator grids) making for a magic «clarity» and glare.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

I was washing the headband and pads of HD800...

How did you manage to get the earpads off?

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 23
Next to the R and L side there are 2 big rectangular holes. You need to pull on the pads fabric from here to slowly remove the pads off the socket on this side, once it came off the rest of the pad will easily go as well.

Anyone care to answer me about the 2nd silk part behind the fabric please?

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone care to answer me about the 2nd silk part behind the fabric please?

The driver is covered with a fine silk gauze.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #14 of 23
hmm mine seems to be missing that when I remove the fabrics, I directly see something that seems to be the driver with a layer of transparent rubber material.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Yes, similar to what some people have done on their HD6x0 : taking off driver-protecting 'foam' 'fabric' for clearer sound.

I was washing the headband and pads of HD800, and I thought about this.

It seems there is some slight improvement on detail. The thing is fabric on HD800 is, IMO, worse than foam used on HD6x0 which blocks sound more.

Since this can be done in less than a minute and reverse-able, I suggest everyone who owns HD800 give it a try.

Edit : so, many people are arguing about K70x all the time. Changed the title to make more interesting.

I tried this when I first purchased it and thought it too bright. And everyone at that time tried to dampen the treble/brightness. Having burned it in I tried it again after this thread and I thought it did make things clearer and more detailed without the brightness this time.

Yet, I get the feeling that the minus might be the added echo or resonance.
With the cloth over the driver, it's like a speakers system in a carpeted room/sound treated room. Without the cloth, it's like a speaker system in a a hard wood floor room.

I like the benefits at this moment but I'm not sure about the costs yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back