Removal of the headphone jack : the future or a marketing scheme?
Nov 16, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #76 of 134
that makes no sense to me at all and seems like marketing BS. Im pretty LDAC would sound better becausse it still has to rely on the bitrate. LDAC is better than APTx which sony headphones support which means that it doesnt matter what fancy thing it uses it wouldn't sound better because LDAC is higher bitrate and therefore more details of the music would go through.

the newest sucessors to mdr1000x shoudl be the best wireless right now. I feel like AT is relying on marketing gimmacks.

Maybe, maybe not aertus. lol I would have to listen to both to know for sure. But the Sony HP is at a disadvantage also b/c it's also NC. You could only FAIRLY judge one vs. the other if they're both wireless and NC is OFF on the Sony one. It would REALLY be cool if the AT HP had LDAC already included. Then it would an even more interesting comparison.

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #77 of 134
Maybe, maybe not aertus. lol I would have to listen to both to know for sure. But the Sony HP is at a disadvantage also b/c it's also NC. You could only FAIRLY judge one vs. the other if they're both wireless and NC is OFF on the Sony one. It would REALLY be cool if the AT HP had LDAC already included. Then it would an even more interesting comparison.
the higher bitrate makes a difference dude. If you download high resolution file on both the LDAC would be able to transfer more data.

also, im not really buying into audio technicas marketing thing. It doesn't make sense how you can transfer music without DAC. Seems like marketing more than anything.

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #78 of 134
the higher bitrate makes a difference dude. If you download high resolution file on both the LDAC would be able to transfer more data.

also, im not really buying into audio technicas marketing thing. It doesn't make sense how you can transfer music without DAC. Seems like marketing more than anything.

It only matters to a certain point. As you already know, I downsample ALL my Hi-Res and even CD-Quality FLAC files to high grade (320-512 kbps CBR) AAC files and they still sound EXACTLY the same. As long as you're staying above mp3-level, I don't really believe it matters. However, having said that, it's possible that LDAC might still sound better than AptX HD if it's transferring that sound data with less distortion or noise than AptX HD is. That is something I have no clue on though.

I have my doubts too, but it also depends on exactly HOW different their DAC-like component is to a traditional DAC. I am trying to keep an open mind on it and see where they go with it on the next version of that HP. From what I've learned on the Head-Fi thread for that HP, the people who own seem extremely happy with it. I personally would look to try out both the Sony and AT HPs at a local store like Best Buy or Guitar Center and then choose whichever one sounded the best. Again, the Sony having NC is not a good thing here, so if you can turn it off, that would help tremendously.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #79 of 134
it's a DAC-like component that is placed in the driver, but it doesn't function like a traditional DAC does. So I guess they can honestly say there's no DAC, technically anyway. lol

It sounds to me like there is a DAC in the speaker, it's just operating on a proprietary format. That would mean that the speaker would be useless with any other source. I'm not keen on that. Or I suppose you would have to run your music through a traditional DAC and then through their proprietary one. That makes no sense.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #80 of 134
It sounds to me like there is a DAC in the speaker, it's just operating on a proprietary format. That would mean that the speaker would be useless with any other source. I'm not keen on that. Or I suppose you would have to run your music through a traditional DAC and then through their proprietary one. That makes no sense.

What do you mean by "useless with any other source"?

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #81 of 134
The DAC in the speaker uses a proprietary digital format from their processor. You couldn't just plug it into a normal amp with speaker wire. That means everything you send to it has to go through their processor. If a player doesn't have a digital out, you'd have to take the analogue out from the DAC in the player and then redigitize it and run it through their system. It's a closed system with no analogue in.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #82 of 134
The DAC in the speaker uses a proprietary digital format from their processor. You couldn't just plug it into a normal amp with speaker wire. That means everything you send to it has to go through their processor. If a player doesn't have a digital out, you'd have to take the analogue out from the DAC in the player and then redigitize it and run it through their system. It's a closed system with no analogue in.

Ahh ok. I see what you mean. Well at least every smartphone these days comes with a digital (MicroUSB) port, so then it wouldn't matter. But yeah, for other sources it's an issue. If you have a phone with a strong amp & DAC like ones by HTC and LG though, then you'd be fine for sure.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #83 of 134
Wouldn't you have to transmit via bluetooth from the phone directly to the processor with no DAC or amp between? You wouldn't be able to use an outboard DAC.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #84 of 134
Removal of Headphones jacks are here to stay. I think there are new window of “high-performances” Bluetooth technologies, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple and Beats are going to massively doing something with it yet again.

Trigence is the company that inovate the technology, and it is so efficient that it can drive Headphones wirelessly without the bulky and inefficient conventional DAC+Amp. Direct Digital Drive or so. Check it out here

https://www.trigence.com/

The first headphones to utilize this technology is Ath dsr9bt, and it is freaking awesome. Imagine if high-end Audiophile companies will be joining it. Then 3.5mm jack removal is a good idea. Hell, if this market is developed and being marketed the right way, we may even see yet again another obsolete of Digital Portable Audio Player

Until now, all Bluetooth headphones or buds are all conventional DAC+Amp built in.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #85 of 134

Nah, the speaker is just a light that flashes for 0's and 1's. Pure digital, man.

Of course, there would have to be a conversion to analog at some point, because our ears work in analog. I mean, for all we know the thing could just be a bog standard class-D amplifier with some pretty marketing fluff. EDIT: Reading some materials and watching some descriptions, I'd say it's not. Bigshot, your description is about right, the DAC and amplifier circuit are just built in to the speaker. which I agree sounds needlessly complicated, but maybe it's not? I agree that I'd rather take an amp that delivers enough power, and a DAC that I know works, and deliver the sound in a more standard way to a transducer of my choosing. But horses for courses.

For what it's worth, I've finally gotten to use my MDR-1ABT headphones in LDAC mode since Android 8.0 implemented it. I've not really been able to do any back to back, but it seems pretty much like the APT-X streaming I was getting before - which was already much higher quality than Bluetooth of just a few years ago for audio. There is really low latency, which is very nice when you're watching video. That's been the biggest thing I've noticed.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #86 of 134
Wouldn't you have to transmit via bluetooth from the phone directly to the processor with no DAC or amp between? You wouldn't be able to use an outboard DAC.

It does come with a cable for PC, but with an adapter you could still make it (the phone's amp, but not its DAC) work with a phone. But yes, you're correct that in wireless mode it'd be relying completely on the headphone's amp and DAC. I should've been more clear there.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #87 of 134
Removal of Headphones jacks are here to stay. I think there are new window of “high-performances” Bluetooth technologies, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple and Beats are going to massively doing something with it yet again.

Trigence is the company that inovate the technology, and it is so efficient that it can drive Headphones wirelessly without the bulky and inefficient conventional DAC+Amp. Direct Digital Drive or so. Check it out here

https://www.trigence.com/

The first headphones to utilize this technology is Ath dsr9bt, and it is freaking awesome. Imagine if high-end Audiophile companies will be joining it. Then 3.5mm jack removal is a good idea. Hell, if this market is developed and being marketed the right way, we may even see yet again another obsolete of Digital Portable Audio Player

Until now, all Bluetooth headphones or buds are all conventional DAC+Amp built in.

Hey Whit!

Interesting. Yeah those are the headphones we're discussing now actually.

When they actually perfect this technology where it is equivalent to a wired setting, then I'd be ALL FOR using just that from that point on.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #88 of 134
Nah, the speaker is just a light that flashes for 0's and 1's. Pure digital, man.

Of course, there would have to be a conversion to analog at some point, because our ears work in analog. I mean, for all we know the thing could just be a bog standard class-D amplifier with some pretty marketing fluff.

For what it's worth, I've finally gotten to use my MDR-1ABT headphones in LDAC mode since Android 8.0 implemented it. I've not really been able to do any back to back, but it seems pretty much like the APT-X streaming I was getting before - which was already much higher quality than Bluetooth of just a few years ago for audio. There is really low latency, which is very nice when you're watching video. That's been the biggest thing I've noticed.

Interesting! Thanks reginalb!

Well I think I speak for everyone here when I say it would be great if you would kindly do a more in-depth comparison between AptX HD and LDAC to see which one sounds better to you.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #89 of 134
Hey Whit!

Interesting. Yeah those are the headphones we're discussing now actually.

When they actually perfect this technology where it is equivalent to a wired setting, then I'd be ALL FOR using just that from that point on.

In my opinion, this is superior to wired connection. The only next thing they should worry about are

1/ headphones design, acoustic venting, acoustic tuning
2/ drivers and diaphgrams technologies

Both 1 and 2 are the job of high end companies just as much as any low end companies.

The technology from this D-Notes is quiet amazing in itself. This Bluetooth headphones is enjoyed by me immensely, and IMO, it is the future of Bluetooth heapdhones

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #90 of 134
Interesting! Thanks reginalb!

Well I think I speak for everyone here when I say it would be great if you would kindly do a more in-depth comparison between AptX HD and LDAC to see which one sounds better to you.

AptX HD and LDAC are only codec. Theoretically speaking, LDAC is superior in comparison to AptXHD as it is capable of 2x more transmitable data rate. However, there are none LDAC products that use the new technology of D-notes.

I always find a way to try new Bluetooth headphones, and the latest I try was 1000X, it was ugly and horrible to me. The Ath dsr9bt is totally and completely different in sound performances alone

The ability to fully control and powering the drivers are what count (amplification). The ability to decode high data bit rates are what count, and D-Notes have it all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back