Reggae recommendation?
Jan 15, 2004 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Permonic

1000+ Head-Fier
I am pretty new to this kind of music. I know only several songs like Sunshine Reggae and The Tide Is High...

Could anyone recommend me some good CDs in this genre??? I would like to taste it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance.

Jan 15, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 40
Bob Marley - LEGEND (Everyone starts here, hopefully you won't stop here...)

Quality Albums in Reggae are actually pretty rare, you might be best to start with some samplers, of which there are a million..
some artists, like Yellowman, Gregory Isaacs and Dennis Brown were great singles artists, but don't really have any stand-out albums. (NIGHT NURSE by Isaacs though is pretty solid).. I'm not big on "dance-hall" style, so most of my recs are from the 70's and early 80's:

Black Uhuru - RED
Jimmy Cliff - THE HARDER THEY COME SOUNDTRACK
Steel Pulse - HANDSWORTH REVOLUTION
Peter Tosh - EQUAL RIGHTS
Culture - TWO SEVENS CLASH
Eek-A-Mouse - WA-DO-DEM
Jacob Miller & Inner Circle - REGGAE GREATS
Lee "Scratch" Perry - REGGAE GREATS
Aswad - A NEW CHAPTER
Augustus Pablo - KING TUBBY MEETS THE ROCKERS UPTOWN

that's enough to get started
smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

Jan 15, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 40
Thanks a lot, Masonjar. I am gonna print your post, it would be helpful for searching them in local music shops.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 40
If you're interested in dub (the reverb-heavy, less-emphasis-on-vox breed of reggae), look out for Augustus Pablo and King Tubby records. Can't go wrong with either.

If you're interested in ragga (which is essentially "reggae-hop".. sort of..) try some Toastie Taylor or Elephant Man.

- Chris

Jan 15, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 40
Do you have highspeed usenet access? Hang out in alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.reggae - there's usually lots of cool stuff posted there, and you can sample different artists.

Myself, at the moment I'm on an Eric Donaldson kick.

Jan 15, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 40
Huh, there are even different sub-genres! Thanks for the info, Chris.
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by davei
Do you have highspeed usenet access? Hang out in alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.reggae - there's usually lots of cool stuff posted there, and you can sample different artists.

Myself, at the moment I'm on an Eric Donaldson kick.

Dunno what's usenet.
blink.gif

Edit: I just found some info about usenet....

Jan 15, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 40
Legend is the cheesiest reggae cd on the planet. Bobs cds all mean something different, they are parallel to what was going on in his life at that time. Legend is just a compilation of his most popular songs (MAINSTREAM). Survival is my favorite, the CD he recorded after his assassination attempt. It is very powerful. I also really like Uprising and Burnin'. I listen to all of these at least twice a week. My other reggae cd in heavy rotation is the Burning spear live from montreux. It is roots rock, and has very high fidelity. I listen to Isreal Vibrations as well, you might want to start of with their "Same Song" CD which is has some serious praising of Jah.

Jan 15, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 40
Ok, thanks Andrew, I will check these as well.

Jan 15, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 40
Well, if you want Bob Marley, I'd recommend his "Live" CD. It is much harder hitting than the other work of his I've heard.

If you want to hear a great overall recording of Reggae, I'd highly recommend the soundtrack to the film, "The Harder They Come".

Jan 16, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 40
Check out Respect to Studio 1. Its an awesome 2 disc set where I found a lot of great artists to sample from, such as Alton Ellis, Lee "Scratch" Perry, The Skatallites, Willie Williams, and Jackie Mittoo.

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 40
I recently started listening to this:

The Congos - Heart of the Congos

Produced by Lee "Scratch" Perry who has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Highly recommended.

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #13 of 40
Don't overlook the smooth Reggae 'crooners' like the late great Dennis Brown or the very much alive and well Beres Hammond. A recent Beres 2-CD set worth getting is: "The Ultimate Collection - Beres Hammond - Can't Stop A Man"

Incidentally, one of my claims to fame was that I spent a day at Beres' home in Stoney Hill (about 45 minutes from Kingston, JA). Unfortuately, he was on tour in Italy at the time, but I got to check out his sweet recording studio - it was a 'friend of a friend' kind of thing.

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

If you want to hear a great overall recording of Reggae, I'd highly recommend the soundtrack to the film, "The Harder They Come".

Heavily seconded.
biggrin.gif

I used to listen to a ton of reggae (even went down to Jamaica to buy records!). This guy is quirky, but I think I love him best of all: U-Roy. Songs to audition. "Chalice in the Palace" "Runaway Girl" "Wear You to the Ball" He was (one of? maybe the first? I forget...) original "dubbers" - that means he was a DJ who used to do crazy stuff over record like singing and screeching. I love U-Roy. Great stuff, he's particually hypnotic.

Jan 16, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 40
Can you list some U-ROY albums that you would recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back