Regarding Amazon's AKG K701 Sale..
Apr 22, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #91 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second, the suggestions that anyone who doesn't think the K701's absoutely suck has bad hearing or doesn't know what music is supposed to sound like.

I have never seen anything like that stated or implied. All that any of us have stated are the facts that the K701s have no bass and are uncomfortable. (Of course, for many people the total lack of bass is a deal breaker no matter how good the rest of the sound might be.)

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #92 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never seen anything like that stated or implied. All that any of us have stated are the facts that the K701s have no bass and are uncomfortable. (Of course, for many people the total lack of bass is a deal breaker no matter how good the rest of the sound might be.)

Perhaps not you but two others have flatly stated that the K701s 'suck' in other threads.

The 701 do not have a total lack of bass - that is almost akin to a lie.

A more helpful way of stating your point would be to mention that in YOUR OPINION the 701s bass is less than that of other phones and that some have found the phones to be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. Thus, it is best to audition the phones before making a purchase.

You still get your point across w/o sounding like a ****.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #93 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps not you but two others have flatly stated that the K701s 'suck' in other threads.

The 701 do not have a total lack of bass - that is almost akin to a lie.

A more helpful way of stating your point would be to mention that in YOUR OPINION the 701s bass is less than that of other phones and that some have found the phones to be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. Thus, it is best to audition the phones before making a purchase.

You still get your point across w/o sounding like a ****.

The 701's have no bass and they flat out suck ass.
cool.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #94 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok you just admitted it was more thread crapping therefore proving my point. I don't really object to ranting, just don't play it off like you care that the thread is OT after. I'm assuming your committee only consists of 1 person, you...

Dude, it was a joke.
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #95 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, my brother, surely you jest!
dt880smile.png

If you read this thread and a few of the other popular ones on the K701, you will readily find the types of assertions I was referencing. Ok, maybe I exaggerated a little, but not much. (See, e.g., post #41 and #58.)

And it is not a fact that the K701's "have no bass" or a "total lack of bass" (and you kind of prove my very point in stating your opinion in such a categorical manner). I would agree that they are lighter in the lower end than other cans in the same price range, but they definitely have some bass, and the lightness in the lower region can be compensated somewhat by tube rolling, etc.

Nor it is a fact that they are "uncomfortable," although they may be uncomfortable to you and other some others, although others find other similar phones uncomfortable (e.g., the HD650).

Look, I don't care if you or anyone else doesn't like them. That's cool. Sometimes I love them and sometimes I prefer another phone for certain music. But don't pretend that the negative comments re the K701's are entirely objective and are not accompanied by quite a bit of hyperbole and emotion (and by suggestions that people who like them are deficient in some sense), because you see it everywhere.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #96 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701's have no bass and they flat out suck ass.
cool.gif

Thank you for confirming what you really are..
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #98 of 140
Geez, so much K701 hate thesedays...

Here's my humble opinion.. Out of all my semi-decent to high-end headphones purchases (Started from HD590 a long time ago to incoming HD800) for four years since I entered headphile world, there are only TWO headphones, ever, sounded better than what I paid.

They are HD650 and K701 (whoops, very obvious from my sig, but...)

Now it is more than three years I owned them (I bought them 2006, at the price of 325$ when they first came out), and K701 are still my choice for neutral, analytical and accurate phones (maybe I should try DT48 in future for this area...) And they are only AKGs managed to remain on my side.

If you think K701 lack bass, you'd better not bother with other older AKGs (K1000, K501, etc) because they carry even less bass. To be honest, K701 are indeed a bit lean on bass (and that's probably only area which is not flat) but these phones still deliever what's in music.

Exception is K340, but for me, K340 are inferior to K701 in almost every aspects (speed, detail, tonal accuracy, etc), not to mention K340 are even more uncomfortable other than headband issue.

Oh, and there are tons of headphones which are even more uncomfortable than K701, but they are not being bashed as often as K701 are. *cough Grado coughcough.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #99 of 140
I am very interested to see what else many of these 701 fanboys have heard. Back when I was first selecting a headphone, before I was on headfi, the shop I went to had a bunch of headphones to demo. This induced the whole Grado SR line, the Sennheiser HD600 and 650, and only one AKG, the K701. I easily, and I mean easily, preferred every headphone on the rack to the K701.

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #102 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very interested to see what else many of these 701 fanboys have heard. Back when I was first selecting a headphone, before I was on headfi, the shop I went to had a bunch of headphones to demo. This induced the whole Grado SR line, the Sennheiser HD600 and 650, and only one AKG, the K701. I easily, and I mean easily, preferred every headphone on the rack to the K701.

What's the definition of a "701 fanboy"? Someone you likes them and who disagrees with the notion that they suck or that you're deaf if you like them?
rolleyes.gif

I've compared the K701 with the HD600, the HD650, some other Sennheiser cans, some high end IEM's, and also a Grado or two (although I forget which ones). My favorite overall at this time in my system is the K701 (although I like some of the other cans as well). So, it appears that some people who do have experience with other phones actually prefer the 701.

Again, why can't people just voice an opinion, without implying that it is a superior one? Are people that insecure?
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #104 of 140
Strange, this K701. I've listened to just about every major headphone under $800 - and I keep coming back to it. For me, it's a matter of taste - and source. I listen to a variety of music, and the K701 handles classical as perfect as I'd want - but seems accurate and true with most other music. And that's just the way I want to hear my music - as accurate as possible.

I guess sometimes, you can luck into a sound that's perfect for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back