Rega Apollo Impressions
Jan 28, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Did we really have options < 1k US$ that could compete with the big boys before the Eastsound and the Apollo arrived? I doubt it. Just my 2c.

The Cambridge 740C is supposed to be pretty hot. But I do not know if it even compares to the E5 let alone the Apollo and for how much. It isn't here either.

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #49 of 83
I'm getting anxious to compare my Cyrus CD6 to the E5 and the new Apollo. It's time to find what my own $1k beauty is capable of.

Note that even if I do hear an improvement with either of these sources I most likely won't upgrade. The size of the Cyrus shoebox case is perfect for me and anything bigger would be a pain.

Jan 31, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #50 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
The Cambridge 740 series hasn't arrived yet. Its around USD 1K according to old news.

The last I heard was that it had been renamed the 840 series and the price had gone up by half...

/JF

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #51 of 83
Here is some new Rega Apollo competition for only $200-$300 more.
tongue.gif

I wonder how it sounds? See specs below.

The Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player is their newest CD player in the Azur series and features dual Analogue Devices AD1955's into twin Blackfins rather than just relying on the DSP. The DSP is licensed from Anagram Technologies. It does the same 24/384 upsampling though. It also has twin digital inputs for upsampling external sources. The 840C also includes a completely separate power supply with high-specification toroidal transformer for extremely for lower noise and less waveform distortion and excellent signal to noise ratio. The 840C sits on an acoustically damped all-metal chassis for incredible rigidity and features a solid aluminium front panel with cool looking LCD.

Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player

Separate DAC for left & right channels
Dual differential antialias filtering
Unbalanced RCA & balanced XLR outputs
S/PIDF, Toslink, & AES digital outputs
S/PIDF, Toslink, & AES digital inputs
for other digital sources
Proprietary drive mechanism
Control Bus in & out
RS232 control input
Low resonance acoustically damped chassis
Suggested retail price: $1499.......AV HiFi in Virginia is selling them now (it appears) at $1375 w/free shipping.

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #52 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
tongue.gif

Control Bus in & out
RS232 control input
Suggested retail price: $1499.......AV HiFi in Virginia is selling them now (it appears) at $1375 w/free shipping.

Sounds super. Who's going to spring for the first one?

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #54 of 83
Quote:

tongue.gif

The Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player is their newest CD player in the Azur series and features dual Analogue Devices AD1955's into twin Blackfins rather than just relying on the DSP. The DSP is licensed from Anagram Technologies. It does the same 24/384 upsampling though. It also has twin digital inputs for upsampling external sources. The 840C also includes a completely separate power supply with high-specification toroidal transformer for extremely for lower noise and less waveform distortion and excellent signal to noise ratio. The 840C sits on an acoustically damped all-metal chassis for incredible rigidity and features a solid aluminium front panel with cool looking LCD.

Control Bus in & out
RS232 control input

FRAK!!! I just bought the 640A version 2 amplifier. Still where did you get the info? Any website of the AV Hifi?

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #55 of 83
Quote:

tongue.gif

Not to take anything away from 840 (which sounds compelling) but you can't compare the sugg retail prices of one player to street price of another.

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #56 of 83
I've found very little info on the 840c. AVH Hifi has the info Mikey01 provided. According to one guy on Audio Asylum it will be out in 2 months. Another one said the new 640c will be out middle of February and the 740c in June. If the one assumes the 840c will follow the 740c then it looks like after June. This sounds like it might be the timeframe for the Saturn. The Cambridge website doesn't have any info on the 740c or 840c but does have info on the 640c v.2. I believe one difference between the 640c and 840c is that the 640c uses dual Wolfson wm8740 dacs and the 840c uses dual AD dacs. The dac in the Apollo is the same as the 640c. I've never dealt with AVH Hifi, but I question the accuracy of a price, below sugg. retail on a cdp that the manufacturers website doesn't even have any information. From what I've read they didn't have an operational 840c at CES.

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ
I've read that the Apollo is suited toward classical/jazz, how does rock/metal sound with it?

I don't listen to any metal with the exception of AC/DC (I assume that counts) so I didn't try any during the audition. I will try to check it out tonight, if I can get over to the store.

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #59 of 83
Yeah, your probably right. However it all sounds interesting. I wonder how much the Saturn?

Say what you want about the Cambridge 840C, but I hope it suceedes in it's goals and then some. The reason being is that we all benifit from the competition with better and cheaper products. I hope others enter this price spectrim and do well also.

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #60 of 83
Quote:

Yeah, your probably right. However it all sounds interesting. I wonder how much the Saturn?

Probably right?
biggrin.gif
My guess would be that it will be the same as the Jupiter. My guess is only based on what Rega did relative to the Planet/Apollo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back