Rega Apollo Impressions
Feb 6, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #77 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I've confirmed that the Apollo is sold out in the US and the wait will be about 1 month.

That's what you get when you get a fuzzier cdp than your eastsound by the sound of things
rs1smile.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #78 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
That's what you get when you get a fuzzier cdp than your eastsound by the sound of things
rs1smile.gif

It is definitely fuzzier. The question for now for me is whether it is fuzzier than the Naim CD5i.
confused.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #80 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
It is definitely fuzzier. The question for now for me is whether it is fuzzier than the Naim CD5i.
confused.gif

From what I have experienced of Naim products more likely. Although the Naim has great PRaT. I have always considered Naim like the Grado's of the cdp world.

Of course the new naims like the cds3 and upcoming cdp555 break away from this stereotype of its former stuff

Feb 6, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #81 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
From what I have experienced of Naim products more likely. Although the Naim has great PRaT. I have always considered Naim like the Grado's of the cdp world.

Of course the new naims like the cds3 and upcoming cdp555 break away from this stereotype of its former stuff

Anyone here can afford the CDP 555?
biggrin.gif

I think is like 15K pounds or something. I've always though fuzzy means coloured. Now I'm more confuse then ever
confused.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #82 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Anyone here can afford the CDP 555?
biggrin.gif

I think is like 15K pounds or something. I've always though fuzzy means coloured. Now I'm more confuse then ever
confused.gif

That' s the retail price. But It does have a seperate PSU. While some people might think it is a obscene amount of money which it is, it still has not stopped cds3 owners shelling out for the PSU part of the cdp555 to further upgrade their cds3.

While I would not consider the cds 3 fuzzy as in relation to tonal warmth, it is compared to the earlier Naim incarnations which made Naim famous.

Feb 6, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #83 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
I think that Hi-Fi+ magazine is a cutting edge British high fidelity rag, but the tone is very very elitist.

What is "very very elitist"?
It's my favourite audio magazine because of their better use of language. The language is elitist? I'd say evolved. I feel I have a better understanding with HIFI+ than with TAS or Stereophile.

I Hope I don't sound elitist?
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
Well, in a nutshell, how did they rate it???
tongue.gif

"Although the HK and Philips are both capable of fine sound quality, particularly in view of their modest prices, the new Rega has the edge over both, turning in an exceptionally musically and communicative performance, especially through the mid-band and top end. It's harmonic richness and overall naturalness just makes digital discs of all kinds uncommonly interesting to listen to, and unusually easy on the ears.
Even the Chemical Brothers' Push the Button- a CD I regularly refer to as one of the more unpleasantly compressed and edgy amongst recent aquisitions, and to which I often turn when checking the aggressive nature of a loudspeaker-managed to sound remarkably listenable."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back