Rega Apollo Impressions
Jan 26, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #31 of 83
Very nice review, Mike. I get a real sense of where the Apollo is coming from, and that sure seems to be a good place. Looking forward to getting over there soon to hear it.

And, yes, Oz IS the man.

Oh, banishment ... you could try the Edwood method of doing Tequila shots, and posting progress reports every two minutes or so as you spiral into semi-conciousness, and ultimate obvilion. That method has the added benefit of providing entertainment for the rest of us as you reach your goal.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just kidding, of course, and no offense intended, Ed - I, for one, thouroughly enjoyed that memorable evening.
biggrin.gif

<edit> Sorry for the OT on banishment Mike, but you did bring it up ...</edit>

Jan 26, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #32 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Very nice review, Mike. I get a real sense of where the Apollo is coming from, and that sure seems to be a good place. Looking forward to getting over there soon to hear it.

And, yes, Oz IS the man.

Oh, banishment ... you could try the Edwood method of doing Tequila shots, and posting progress reports every two minutes or so as you spiral into semi-conciousness, and ultimate obvilion. That method has the added benefit of providing entertainment for the rest of us as you reach your goal.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just kidding, of course, and no offense intended, Ed - I, for one, thouroughly enjoyed that memorable evening.
biggrin.gif

<edit> Sorry for the OT on banishment Mike, but you did bring it up ...</edit>

Me complain about something OT, that would never happen. Now the Teguila shot thing, that is tempting.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #33 of 83
At the danger of repeating myself, I would not buy a CDP at 700 US$ without any local or national support, and with an 1-200 US$ price tag just to have it looked at back in China. Although I do admire the dedication of people like drarthurwells who actually pledged to serve as some sort of makeshift support center for the time being.

The Apollo is not only better sounding (a statement that obviously isn't set in stone as of yet), but it is built by a very reputable company with decades in the business that also splits profits with national distributors and local dealers who in turn provide a service that one should expect from a 1k US$ audio product.

Following that rationale, choosing the Apollo over most Chinese alternatives seems like a no-brainer to me.

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #35 of 83
I would not buy a $700 cdp without national support neither. I considered myself buying one, but ended rejecting the idea. This is a bad commercial practice, and one that hurts occidental companies and consumers. There are many other cdps or dacs to choose. An option like the rega apollo seems an obvious one.

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #36 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
It would be nice to know how it compares with meridians

I would think the G08 would be better. I did however own the 508.24 and the Jupiter 2K and the rega was much better to my taste.
I would also like to know how the Apollo stacks up against the Jupiter. Since used Jupiters are in the same price range. I always thought the extra DACs and power supplies in the Jupiter took it way over the Planet in terms of powerful, fast, and clean presentation.
Any chance on a head to head with a Jupiter?

Jan 27, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #37 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I would think the G08 would be better. I did however own the 508.24 and the Jupiter 2K and the rega was much better to my taste.
I would also like to know how the Apollo stacks up against the Jupiter. Since used Jupiters are in the same price range. I always thought the extra DACs and power supplies in the Jupiter took it way over the Planet in terms of powerful, fast, and clean presentation.

I won't be able to do the comparison. The dealer I am friendly with does not have a Jupiter in the store.

Jan 27, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #38 of 83
Quote:

Have not heard it againest the Jupiter, but according to the dealer here, it blows the Jupiter away. He is basicly blowing all of his Jupiters out as fast as he can get rid of them. I heard it, and just listened to it againest a Cary for laughs, and yes the Cary was better, but not 4.5x better. I would expect the same to be true of the G08.
For a $1k unit, though, this thing is killer.
I am taking my Planet 2k over today, and doing a trade.

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #39 of 83
Thanks for the impressions Mike, looks like we could really have another winner in the ever crowded under $1K cdp market. Also I wanted to mention that I agree with you on the thin/lean characteristic of the E5 when compared to better players.

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #40 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danamr
Have not heard it againest the Jupiter, but according to the dealer here, it blows the Jupiter away. He is basicly blowing all of his Jupiters out as fast as he can get rid of them. I heard it, and just listened to it againest a Cary for laughs, and yes the Cary was better, but not 4.5x better. I would expect the same to be true of the G08.
For a $1k unit, though, this thing is killer.
I am taking my Planet 2k over today, and doing a trade.

Maybe that means they are going to come out with an upgraded Jupiter Also?

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #41 of 83
Quote:

That would make since. I think the Jupiter used a Sony transport, and they cannot get them anymore. I would think they could drop the new transport right into the Jupiter, upgrade the software, and other electronics, and have a giant killer two piece unit.

Jan 27, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #42 of 83
Quote:

Unless somebody was pulling my leg, I was told that the replacement for the Jupiter is the Saturn.

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #43 of 83
I talked to my local dealer today. It's going to be a couple of weeks before he gets one in, but he's pretty excited about it. Apparently the buzz in his circles is that the Apollo is truly one heck of a product and a step up from both the Planet and the Jupiter. He's actually talked me out of more expensive gear before, so I trust his opinion.

I haven't heard anything yet about a replacement for the Jupiter, but if anyone knows anything, please share with the rest of the class!

Jan 28, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #44 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
looks like we could really have another winner in the ever crowded under $1K cdp market.

Did we really have options < 1k US$ that could compete with the big boys before the Eastsound and the Apollo arrived? I doubt it. Just my 2c.

Jan 28, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #45 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Unless somebody was pulling my leg, I was told that the replacement for the Jupiter is the Saturn.

You are correct. "Saturn" will replace Jupiter, it has appeared in some news/industry releases across the pond, but not yet on the official Rega web page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back